OT: - BMW Championship | The Boneyard

OT: BMW Championship

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was watching for a few minutes when both were on 16 and Cantlay tied Bryson at -27. Then Cantlay hit it in the water on 17 with Bryson in good shape figuring Cantlay was toast. So I turned it off and went outside to spritz my ribs and do a few things.

Almost an hour later, took the ribs off, went to turn on 60 Minutes, lo and behold they're on the 5th playoff hole. I don't know what the hell happened, but always happy to see Bryson gag.

Reaction Score
Both threw darts on the 5th playoff hole, Bryson threw a great 3rd shot in on the 18th earlier. Not a fan of his but he’s nit gagging much.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I was watching for a few minutes when both were on 16 and Cantlay tied Bryson at -27. Then Cantlay hit it in the water on 17 with Bryson in good shape figuring Cantlay was toast. So I turned it off and went outside to spritz my ribs and do a few things.

Almost an hour later, took the ribs off, went to turn on 60 Minutes, lo and behold they're on the 5th playoff hole. I don't know what the hell happened, but always happy to see Bryson gag.
Cantley was magical with the putter.

Great golf for sure.

Reaction Score
I’m not a big Bryson fan either but he drew the biggest crowds at the Travelers Championship this year. I worked there for 4 days he had HUGE galleries following him. Not sure if he is a “fan favorite” but he brings a ton of eyeballs and attention.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Question is ... who do you pair him with in alternate shot at the Ryder Cup?
with another bomber .... Finau?
with a great scrambler ..... Spieth?
opposites attract ..... Cantlay?
or Team Bad Guy .... Reed?

should be entertaining as hell

Reaction Score
Bryson is definitely not a fan favorite , and not a player I pull for, but i respect his talents and find myself routing for him to make the haters swallow their words.

Yeah kind of the way I looked at this playoff. I don’t love boring players either and although he was great, and is, Cantlay is a bit blah personality wise. Now having said that these 2 guys will be teammates in a few weeks for the USA and Douchambeaus inability to offer a bit more respect when it ended, maybe a smile and a “hey that was fun” few seconds is why he’s not liked all that much. Quick handshake and a get the fk out wasn’t what was deserved after these 2 battled back and forth for basically 2 days.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
DeChambeau fans likely rooted for Drago in Rocky IV.

I get that technology "improvement" plays a huge part in driving golf club/ball sales to the public, but IMO, there should be limits on the Tour. Putter and club shaft lengths should be standardized, which would all but eliminate "arm lock" putting (thankfully, belly putters are gone). I recently read an article about Mickleson complaining that the PGA might soon limit driver shaft length. Phil's been using longer and longer shafts to compensate for declining power due to his age. I enjoy having Phil still perform on the Tour, but I'll side with the PGA here.

I was never a big Jack fan, but in retrospect, what he did in his time when clubs were far more standardized shows what an amazing talent he was.

We don't allow corked bats, deflated footballs, ridiculously curved hockey stick blades, or other dramatic variations in equipment used in other sports. It's really only golf where it becomes difficult to separate the player's individual talent from the technology designed specifically for them to compete at the levels they're at. DeChambeau benefits more from that than any other player on tour.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I get that technology "improvement" plays a huge part in driving golf club/ball sales to the public, but IMO, there should be limits on the Tour. Putter and club shaft lengths should be standardized, which would all but eliminate "arm lock" putting (thankfully, belly putters are gone). I recently read an article about Mickleson complaining that the PGA might soon limit driver shaft length. Phil's been using longer and longer shafts to compensate for declining power due to his age. I enjoy having Phil still perform on the Tour, but I'll side with the PGA here.

I was never a big Jack fan, but in retrospect, what he did in his time when clubs were far more standardized shows what an amazing talent he was.

We don't allow corked bats, deflated footballs, ridiculously curved hockey stick blades, or other dramatic variations in equipment used in other sports. It's really only golf where it becomes difficult to separate the player's individual talent from the technology designed specifically for them to compete at the levels they're at. DeChambeau benefits more from that than any other player on tour.
As long as every player has the ability to use the specs/equipment that Bryson uses, it's a level playing field. Just because one player chooses to use certain equipment and another player chooses to use different equipment, either out of preference or because it's more tailored to fit their game or playing style, doesn't necessarily make it unfair.

That being said, I am sick of DeCham. I would also like to see more uniformity amongst clubs and balls.

Reaction Score
Cantley was magical with the putter.

Great golf for sure.
He’s a great player but I can’t stand watching him putt. That perpetual foot shifting is sooo annoying IMO. If I was at an event I’d be tempted to just yell. Hit the damn ball

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

I totally agree that the PGA has to do some things to deemphasize technology. There's no way to make courses long enough and the old courses are like chip and putts. It wouldn't be hard to make a few changes like shaft length, head size, minimum driver loft to get things back in line. Guys hitting a driver and 6 iron into 600 yard par 5s is kind of ridiculous. When someone has to pull out a 3 wood because a driver is too long for a short par 4, you've lost the intent. At the very least all of the PGA courses need to be 'hardened' so at least you really penalize wayward shots with deep rough, tighter OBs, etc.

Birdies and eagles are fun, sure. But every player in the field was under par for the tournament. That's just dumb.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I’m a big Bryson fan. He has his faults but I have never really understood the intense hatred for him … but whatever. Then again, I have always been a Phil-hater. Fakest guy on tour.
Bryson may benefit from technology but it isn’t the only reason he is so good. The guy was a top collegiate player. He won a ton before his power addition.
my only concern is that he will go bat crazy before he learns to tune out all the negativity thrown his way

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If I had my druthers (And truth be told I don't even know what is a druther) I'd standardize the ball or limit ball choices to 1-2 balls. I realize this will never happen due to the amount of money these companies put in to developing and marketing the balls but a standard ball would put golf in line with other sports.

You can have different bat sizes and weights, hockey sticks differ, but every other sport uses a standard ball.

If not the same manufacturer, have the same characteristics in terms of size, weight, spin, material, compression, etc.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’m a big Bryson fan. He has his faults but I have never really understood the intense hatred for him … but whatever. Then again, I have always been a Phil-hater. Fakest guy on tour.
Phil has come a long way from his "figjam" days. He's a proven family man, a bit less of a gambler, and has been helping younger golfers with their games, something he wouldn't have done a decade or more ago. Wisdom and a bit of humility comes with age.

My dislike for Bryson came with his early use of the long putter, which I hated when Singh, Scott and others used it, so it wasn't limited to just BDC. His putter shaft length has decreased, but it's still longer than a standard putter, allowing him to do the "arm lock" BS (as a handful of others do, none of which I root for - learn how to putt like the rest of us). But it was also the God-awful slowness of his game (which started the Koepka feud). It was as maddening as Sergio regripping his club 20 times back when Garcia was young. I also don't think he's a complete player at all in the way Tiger was. Tiger was more than distance, he had creativitiy. Sure, Bryson can win in perfect conditions, but IMHO, I've yet to see him perform well under adverse conditions. And that thing yesterday with actually calling out Cantlay by name for walking... that just isn't done.

If he wants to use physics, fine. But the whole concept of designing shafts, whip, weight, oversized club heads, loft, balance distribution to counter fades or hooks, etc. etc. etc. based on his or anyone else's swing type has simply gotten absurd.

I'd love to see a tourney where everyone has to use the same equipment. Then let's see who actually has the most latent golf talent.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Phil has come a long way from his "figjam" days. He's a proven family man, a bit less of a gambler, and has been helping younger golfers with their games, something he wouldn't have done a decade or more ago. Wisdom and a bit of humility comes with age.

My dislike for Bryson came with his early use of the long putter, which I hated when Singh, Scott and others used it, so it wasn't limited to just BDC. His putter shaft length has decreased, but it's still longer than a standard putter, allowing him to do the "arm lock" BS (as a handful of others do, none of which I root for - learn how to putt like the rest of us). But it was also the God-awful slowness of his game (which started the Koepka feud). It was as maddening as Sergio regripping his club 20 times back when Garcia was young. I also don't think he's a complete player at all in the way Tiger was. Tiger was more than distance, he had creativitiy. Sure, Bryson can win in perfect conditions, but IMHO, I've yet to see him perform well under adverse conditions. And that thing yesterday with actually calling out Cantlay by name for walking... that just isn't done.

If he wants to use physics, fine. But the whole concept of designing shafts, whip, weight, oversized club heads, loft, balance distribution to counter fades or hooks, etc. etc. etc. based on his or anyone else's swing type has simply gotten absurd.

I'd love to see a tourney where everyone has to use the same equipment. Then let's see who actually has the most latent golf talent.
i agree about Phil - he seems to have turned it around a bit .... but i still can only pull for him in team events

also agree about the long putters. Adam Scott and Bernhard Langer used to piss me off to no end, but all these guys use the rules to their advantage. i am pretty sure tinkerer Bryson would adapt if they really changed the rules. pretty sure he used to putt side saddle at one point in his career. always changing.

Bryson has some major challenges:
he has Monty-like rabbit ears
he cares too much what people think about him
he has totally lost the Brooks battle
he is immature as hell
plays as slow as a snail

but i think he is good for golf and actually a good guy
i know i am much more likely to watch a tourny he is playing than not
can't say the same for Brooksie

Reaction Score

There are more than a few pros that use shorter than standard drivers. And some of them still choke up even more. BD has no more benefits than any other guy on tour, except what he’s made his own body in to.

Reaction Score
Phil was definitely a phony according to many but I think he’s come a long way. I wasn’t a fan but root for him more now. Bryson is up and down but reality would make us believe he’s only a good guy when successful. Unlike many his game does little to make me “need to watch” when he plays. There are too many other stories I enjoy seeing as the year goes on that jump in front of him.

How is Tiger these days? Ryder Cup coaching maybe?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Phil was definitely a phony according to many but I think he’s come a long way. I wasn’t a fan but root for him more now. Bryson is up and down but reality would make us believe he’s only a good guy when successful. Unlike many his game does little to make me “need to watch” when he plays. There are too many other stories I enjoy seeing as the year goes on that jump in front of him.

How is Tiger these days? Ryder Cup coaching maybe?

I don't think you are going to see Tiger any where near the Ryder Cup. He's just barely walking (occasionally) without crutches or other aids. Also, his health and everything else would become a major distraction and media attention grabber taking away from the event.

I really don't think you will see much of him before Augusta next year. And he will not be playing in the Master's in 2022.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom