Blaudschun: Warde interviewed for Michigan AD yesterday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Blaudschun: Warde interviewed for Michigan AD yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Hate to say it but UCONN is a stepping stone job in everything except men's and women's hoops. I would actually be glad is Manuel goes to Michigan. Maybe he'd advocate for us to get invited to the B10. Personally, I want ACC, but the Big 10 is ok too.......

C

Chief00

Calhoun will never be AD since Geno would leave and Susan doesn't want that

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
"Herp derp Manuel doesn't deserve credit for Ollie..."

Actually he does. A new AD at a school with an elite MBB program, your job is not not duck* up the hire. JC engineered his successor on the new AD. In hindsight, it was okay for him to do that but despite JC's stature this usually does not work out when there is an established coach trying to hand over the reigns. You can be a great coach but not necessarily be able to forsee how your assistant will do as the person in charge of a program. That's not the coache's job, it's the director's job to evaluate and hire the right guy. There's a reason for that. Fans are acting like KO was a sure-fire head coach when he came on board... he was not AT THE TIME. Manuel handled the KO situation perfectly. Gave KO a chance to prove himself - and he did. Yeah, there were a few weeks where the fanbase was clamoring for the longer term contract. In the grand scheme of things, a few weeks of unrest is nothing.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I love how people claim that Diaco gave up on 2 or 3 wins as if that somehow stood in the way of playing one more game between semesters.

A team that limped into 5 wins was not going bowling in 2014 (Temple stayed home at 6-6 with one of the best defensive players in the country) and UConn finished the season with less scholarship athletes than North Dakota State. It also would have set the program back another year and that puts the 2015 bowl in jeopardy, to say nothing about 2016 and beyond.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"Herp derp Manuel doesn't deserve credit for Ollie..."

Actually he does. A new AD at a school with an elite MBB program, your job is not not duck* up the hire. JC engineered his successor on the new AD. In hindsight, it was okay for him to do that but despite JC's stature this usually does not work out when there is an established coach trying to hand over the reigns. You can be a great coach but not necessarily be able to forsee how your assistant will do as the person in charge of a program. That's not the coache's job, it's the director's job to evaluate and hire the right guy. There's a reason for that. Fans are acting like KO was a sure-fire head coach when he came on board... he was not AT THE TIME. Manuel handled the KO situation perfectly. Gave KO a chance to prove himself - and he did. Yeah, there were a few weeks where the fanbase was clamoring for the longer term contract. In the grand scheme of things, a few weeks of unrest is nothing.

So basically, the best you can say, vis a vis Manuel/Ollie, is that Manuel didn't really duckck it up. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. He didn't lead a coaching search, didn't identify candidates, didn't convince the best to come, and then shrewdly negotiate with that candidate to secure a long term deal. He was given a gift horse, and managed to not scare him away.

I'm not saying Manuel is bad, but giving him credit for Ollie is a stretch.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I love how people claim that Diaco gave up on 2 or 3 wins as if that somehow stood in the way of playing one more game between semesters.

A team that limped into 5 wins was not going bowling in 2014 (Temple stayed home at 6-6 with one of the best defensive players in the country) and UConn finished the season with less scholarship athletes than North Dakota State. It also would have set the program back another year and that puts the 2015 bowl in jeopardy, to say nothing about 2016 and beyond.

Not knowing much about the football team, what does this refer to? What's the argument/discussion about?

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So basically, the best you can say, vis a vis Manuel/Ollie, is that Manuel didn't really duckck it up. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. He didn't lead a coaching search, didn't identify candidates, didn't convince the best to come, and then shrewdly negotiate with that candidate to secure a long term deal. He was given a gift horse, and managed to not scare him away.

I'm not saying Manuel is bad, but giving him credit for Ollie is a stretch.
Calhoun put Manuel in a position to not conduct a search, bring in candidates for interviews. That was JC's doing. I'm sure Manuel had a long / short list of candidates, but Calhoun's actions made it so that it stayed in the desk drawer.

Manuel did identify candidates, make and prioritize a list, go through the hiring process when he hired Diaco and Cavanaugh.

For a list of other positives, see this post and the ones following:
From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Calhoun put Manuel in a position to not conduct a search, bring in candidates for interviews. That was JC's doing. I'm sure Manuel had a long / short list of candidates, but Calhoun's actions made it so that it stayed in the desk drawer.

Of course it was JC, and that's exactly the point. JC is responsible for Ollie. Not Manuel.

Manuel did identify candidates, make and prioritize a list, go through the hiring process when he hired Diaco and Cavanaugh.

Yes, I get that, but we are talking about credit for Ollie in this specific scenario. It's not an indictment of Manuel, just recognition that he didn't have much to do with Ollie.

Reaction Score
The article about Manuel basically gives him credit for everything under the sun. If a UCONN professor finds a cure for cancer they'll be giving Warde some of that. The basketball center was an imperative with or without him. The women win their titles the same way, whether he's here or not. Calhoun funneled KO in not Warde. I don't know if an AD can get us to a better conf but he didn't and that's failure IMO. So he's going to go to Michigan and help muscle us into the B1G? Good luck. Have another jelly doughnut Warde.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The fact is the AD will always get the credit for the hire. People still give Toner credit for hiring JC.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Not knowing much about the football team, what does this refer to? What's the argument/discussion about?
There are more than a few active posters (By the way, where has @Perfect Hair been) who didn't agree with Coach Diaco's strategy of razing a shack held up by paint and re-pouring the foundation for a potential mcmansion. There is virtually no way that Manuel didn't know of Diaco's general plan when he hired him. Yet those same posters still criticized Diaco (and Manuel for the hire) for 2014 even when he achieved a bowl game in 2015 a year earlier than most fans expected.

The 2015 two-deep was made mostly of RS Freshmen, RS Sophomore, and True Sophomores. The ceiling is high. due in no small part to Manuel's foresight into Diaco's vision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom