Blauds wants more clicks... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Blauds wants more clicks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The MAC has 12 teams. I can't imagine why they'd take UConn unless it was a package deal with Cinci to keep the balanced schedule.

Reaction Score
Temple will never get into the Big East. There was a reason they only played football in the league previously. That reason just won the NCAA basketball tournament this year. They're not sharing the market.

I'm not sure I agree on leverage either. We would tell the AAC either keep us in football... Or...? Or what? We'll take it to the MAC? They would be losing our basketball anyway under this plan and both the league and UConn know football is far better off in the AAC than MAC or Sun Belt or C-USA or whatever. So the league is just going to say ok sure. Park here? Without basketball? When they can let us go languish in a lesser league? I don't buy it.

Agree on Temple, was putting it out there as a hypothetical +1. Point is that if the American loses 2 to the Big 12 they definitely can't afford to lose 2 more completely.

Reaction Score
Been thinking about this....

If the AAC loses, say, Houston and Cincy, I'm not sure what leverage they have left.

The television contract falls apart, bowl agreements fall apart - UConn might not be the only school looking to vacate at that point.

The other issue I was thinking about with the TV contract falling apart - if UConn is about to head to the Big East and FOX, does ESPN lean on another conference to take a look at us?

UConn BBall is a major ratings draw for ESPN that they are getting for peanuts right now. If we go to FOX (through the Big East), that's significant for a young FS1 network struggling to get viewers.

More likely than not they'll let us go, but UConn bball helped launch ESPN 30 years ago, would be poetic justice if we did the same for FOX in the future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The other issue I was thinking about with the TV contract falling apart - if UConn is about to head to the Big East and FOX, does ESPN lean on another conference to take a look at us?

UConn BBall is a major ratings draw for ESPN that they are getting for peanuts right now. If we go to FOX (through the Big East), that's significant for a young FS1 network struggling to get viewers.

More likely than not they'll let us go, but UConn bball helped launch ESPN 30 years ago, would be poetic justice if we did the same for FOX in the future.

That's why I speculated that they leaked this via Mike T. to Blauds. If ESPN is pushing the Big 12 to stop at 2, mostly to preserve the American, then UConn needs to demonstrate that they won't keep the UConn content that way. I think that's what this is really about, encouraging ESPN to stop resisting the B12 going to 14 and including UConn.

I do think UConn is in if it goes to 14. But Blaud's blog post hit not long after McMurphy said he is hearing that expansion will be just by two (BYU and Cinci or Cinci and UH).

Reaction Score
That's why I speculated that they leaked this via Mike T. to Blauds. If ESPN is pushing the Big 12 to stop at 2, mostly to preserve the American, then UConn needs to demonstrate that they won't keep the UConn content that way. I think that's what this is really about, encouraging ESPN to stop resisting the B12 going to 14 and including UConn.

I do think UConn is in if it goes to 14. But Blaud's blog post hit not long after McMurphy said he is hearing that expansion will be just by two (BYU and Cinci or Cinci and UH).

The timing of Blauds's piece is interesting for sure.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
The MAC has 12 teams. I can't imagine why they'd take UConn unless it was a package deal with Cinci to keep the balanced schedule.

MAC won't take UConn Football only... that is why UMASS was kicked out. If they don't get the basketball than they will say see you later.

Reaction Score
MAC won't take UConn Football only... that is why UMASS was kicked out. If they don't get the basketball than they will say see you later.

To be fair UConn football is light years ahead of UMass football not only in on-field product but in overall fan base as well. You're talking about a program that has like 8 FBS wins versus a school that went to a BCS game and has made a bowl in half it's time as an FBS program. A team that has been drawing over 30K per home game as opposed to 10K.

This is not to say that you're wrong that the MAC wouldn't take UConn Football only, but to say that they won't do it because we'd be similar to what UMass brought to them is silly.

Reaction Score
he wants more chicks?
I thought the Big 12 was being fair and open to allow so many schools an opportunity but now it's just looking like a cruel hoax.
If the Big 12 is seriously considering expanding to 14, does that give the ACC any incentive to go to 16? And quick?

Reaction Score
No. The ACC isn't under pressure to react. If the B1G and SEC react and move to 16, and ND is forced to join due to some sort of rules changes (that don't appear to be forthcoming) then the ACC gets ND. If that happens, #16 for the ACC isn't that important. Say UConn and Temple are left to pick from. Considering UConn has been passed over twice, I'm pretty sure they would settle for Temple instead of UConn if it means they're getting Notre Dame. There are a number of schools I think would be acceptable for 16 if 15 is ND.

Reaction Score
I was thinking in terms of there ultimately being 4 super conferences. If the Big 12 were serious about expanding, the ACC could swoop up UConn and Cincy and put another nail in the big 12 coffin. I know, not gonna happen.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a realistic option anyway, but if it made sense financially, the MAC would definitely consider taking a package deal of UConn/Cinci, or UConn/Temple.

The only reason the MAC forced UMass to go all in is because Temple left, leaving the number of FB schools at 13. Instead of reaching for a 14th to balance the schedule, they forced UMass to do something the MAC knew they wouldn't do. That got the schedule balanced back at 12.

UMass football program leaving MAC after 2015 season

If UConn had a partner, like Temple or Cinci, or Navy or ECU, the MAC would definitely consider FB only.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
If the AAC loses 2-4 teams not named UConn -- I think UConn should explore all options at that point, including football only in AAC and the rest in Big East. I think at that point anything is negotiable and part of the pitch you can make to the AAC is we'll play 4 AAC teams a year in men's and women's basketball (2 home and 2 away). I don't know -- this is all going sideways right now -- gotta figure out how to stay alive and relevant in both football and basketball -- gotta be creative until the P5 calls. I never thought split AAC/Big East was on the table, but I think we are coming to that point.

I agree it needs to be examined. I disagree on how willing the AAC will be to let us take us space in their league without our marquee programs.

Reaction Score
I was thinking in terms of there ultimately being 4 super conferences. If the Big 12 were serious about expanding, the ACC could swoop up UConn and Cincy and put another nail in the big 12 coffin. I know, not gonna happen.
Because if there are ultimately 4 superconferences, then ND will be in one of them, and they are contractually obligated to join the ACC for the next 15+/- years. So that leaves space for 1 more.

Because if you take UConn/Cinci, and there are 4 super conferences, you just handed ND, OU, and Texas to the B1G, P12, and SEC so you could get UConn and Cinci. Nobody would do that

Reaction Score
This would be a net positive result for UConn given what the circumstances would be in that situation. Presumably, if one or more of UC/UH leave and especially if BYU is left on the table, I would expect Aresco to offer them football-only status. Our basketball programs cannot survive in an AAC that has defections from the pool of UC, UH, and Memphis. Yes, the Big East isn't the best and there's some sour feelings with a few of the Catholic bball-onlies, but would you rather be playing Villanova, PC, Xavier, and Georgetown or Tulane, Tulsa, USF, and ECU? Aresco would be in no position to push back against us all that much in negotiations. Paying a modified "exit' fee in this scenario would be worth it. We could tread water playing basketball in the Big East, infuse a little bit of fan-interest life back into the conference schedule, and pray for an ACC/B1G invite. AAC football would still be moderately serviceable if they made smart decisions post-defection, AAC basketball would not and we'd risk our biggest promotional tool to other P5 conferences being washed down the drain.
Do you think a modified exit fee well in excess of 100mm is worth it because at a minimum thats what it will cost. included would be Uconns portion of about 25mm left over from the old BE. Why would Fox renegotiate a deal with the BE for short money from Bball that might last for only a few years. Why would the NBE put itself through 5 more years of what its already experienced for the last 13. Its not going to happen.

Reaction Score
Seems as though Fox owns the BE rights, all tiers.

So there actually wouldn't be any monetary gains from UConn moving when you take into account the football playoffs (and of course exit fees that UConn would need to pay).

Reaction Score
Seems as though Fox owns the BE rights, all tiers.

So there actually wouldn't be any monetary gains from UConn moving when you take into account the football playoffs (and of course exit fees that UConn would need to pay).

Would be interesting to see how you would factor Football into this since the BE does not sponsor football. UConn in the American under a new TV deal for FB might be able to shop their T3 Football rights to SNY and pick up some additional cash.

Reaction Score
The real issue for UConn is that the Big East is no better than the AAC with the exception that it brings nostalgia. The never ending issue is that the UConn athletic department to this day has many basketball people who think football was a mistake. There really is no great solution but I doubt going to the Big East for other sports and leaving football in the AAC is workable.

Reaction Score
The real issue for UConn is that the Big East is no better than the AAC with the exception that it brings nostalgia. The never ending issue is that the UConn athletic department to this day has many basketball people who think football was a mistake. There really is no great solution but I doubt going to the Big East for other sports and leaving football in the AAC is workable.

Dude. Really? Name the last time a non-UConn team currently in The American got past the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament?

2012 - Cincy.

Since 2010 Cornell has as more Sweet 16 appearances than 9 out of 11 teams currently in The American.

Reaction Score

BE has been seeded h much better than the AAC ever since UCONN has been in the AAC. AAC has been treated as a total mid-major with most teams seeded to go out by the first weekend. Meanwhile, BE has been seeded more like a power conference with # of teams and seeding #s. BE with Temple and UCONN would be much stronger as well.

If UCONN does not get into the B12, UCONN needs to find a home for FB only. Hopefully, its the AAC. This scenario certainly sucks, but at least it is somewhat within our control.

Reaction Score
BE has been seeded h much better than the AAC ever since UCONN has been in the AAC. AAC has been treated as a total mid-major with most teams seeded to go out by the first weekend. Meanwhile, BE has been seeded more like a power conference with # of teams and seeding #s. BE with Temple and UCONN would be much stronger as well.

If UCONN does not get into the B12, UCONN needs to find a home for FB only. Hopefully, its the AAC. This scenario certainly sucks, but at least it is somewhat within our control.
I don't know about other on this board but if UConn ever got back into the BE in all sports but football I will have written my last donation check to the athletic department and bought my last ticket to ANY UConn sporting event! I will in no way shape or form support a athletic department that chose to go back to a conference made up of schools who A) leeched off of UConn basketball success for YEARS and B) Caused the BE to eventually break apart by doing A and trying to dictate to the schools that played football about how conference business was done.

Reaction Score
Big East basketball with the defending national champion and another school that nearly got a 1 seed is no better than the AAC?

Reaction Score
I don't know about other on this board but if UConn ever got back into the BE in all sports but football I will have written my last donation check to the athletic department and bought my last ticket to ANY UConn sporting event! I will in no way shape or form support a athletic department that chose to go back to a conference made up of schools who A) leeched off of UConn basketball success for YEARS and B) Caused the BE to eventually break apart by doing A and trying to dictate to the schools that played football about how conference business was done.
Yawn. Let's keep holding grudges until were in the patriot league. That'll show everyone

Reaction Score
Yawn. Let's keep holding grudges until were in the patriot league. That'll show everyone
Lets keep banging that drum about getting the Big East band back together! That train has left the station.

Reaction Score
Lets keep banging that drum about getting the Big East band back together! That train has left the station.
No one wants to be in the Big east, but if the other option is an AAC without Cinci/Houston/Memphis staying is a fate worse than death for basketball.

Reaction Score
The real issue for UConn is that the Big East is no better than the AAC with the exception that it brings nostalgia.

1) Most would say you're wrong about the Big East being no better today.
2) Take Cinci away and you're on an island making the argument the AAC is still better.

The sum of UConn, Temple, SMU (without Larry Brown) and Memphis is not a better conference than Villanova, Georgetown, Providence, Creighton, Butler, Marquette, and Xavier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom