Blauds wants more clicks... | The Boneyard

Blauds wants more clicks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The tweet posted in platinum tweets thread leads me to believe he is speculating that uconn is/should:

A. Dump FB and go to Big East because B12 isnt happening
B. Is going FB only to B12 and what to do with olympic sports

Dont wast your cash money

Reaction Score
If UCONN gets turned down by the Big 12, they will not maintain the status quo with the AAC according to his source (probably Mike Tranghese - his old friend, former BE Commissioner, UCONN Consultant). They will look to move all sports to BE and try for football only in the AAC, if not they will look to join another conference for football only. From a financial perspective they could make more money and save more money being part of the BE.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If UCONN gets turned down by the Big 12, they will not maintain the status quo with the AAC according to his source (probably Mike Tranghese - his old friend, former BE Commissioner, UCONN Consultant). They will look to move all sports to BE and try for football only in the AAC, if not they will look to join another conference for football only. From a financial perspective they could make more money and save more money being part of the BE.

If true, it wouldn't surprise me. The American has Navy as a football only, there is a precedent. Football in the AAC and Olympics in the Big East is a money and competition upgrade, even more so if the AAC is poached.

By the way, this story has the side benefit of letting ESPN know that they will not be keeping our basketball content on the cheap. That we are taking that option away from them. It could cause them to support us moving elsewhere.

Reaction Score
This has been posted in a few other threads, but it's always good to have new threads. :cool: (I would have given you an eye roll, but that would have been immature. :rolleyes: (screw it)

Reaction Score
This has been posted in a few other threads, but it's always good to have new threads. :cool: (I would have given you an eye roll, but that would have been immature. :rolleyes: (screw it)
Sportsart, but did anyone actually state anything in article? I did not see any info from it posted, so I did it

Reaction Score
If true, it wouldn't surprise me. The American has Navy as a football only, there is a precedent. Football in the AAC and Olympics in the Big East is a money and competition upgrade, even more so if the AAC is poached.

By the way, this story has the side benefit of letting ESPN know that they will not be keeping our basketball content on the cheap. That we are taking that option away from them. It could cause them to support us moving elsewhere.
This would be a net positive result for UConn given what the circumstances would be in that situation. Presumably, if one or more of UC/UH leave and especially if BYU is left on the table, I would expect Aresco to offer them football-only status. Our basketball programs cannot survive in an AAC that has defections from the pool of UC, UH, and Memphis. Yes, the Big East isn't the best and there's some sour feelings with a few of the Catholic bball-onlies, but would you rather be playing Villanova, PC, Xavier, and Georgetown or Tulane, Tulsa, USF, and ECU? Aresco would be in no position to push back against us all that much in negotiations. Paying a modified "exit' fee in this scenario would be worth it. We could tread water playing basketball in the Big East, infuse a little bit of fan-interest life back into the conference schedule, and pray for an ACC/B1G invite. AAC football would still be moderately serviceable if they made smart decisions post-defection, AAC basketball would not and we'd risk our biggest promotional tool to other P5 conferences being washed down the drain.

Reaction Score
This would be a net positive result for UConn given what the circumstances would be in that situation. Presumably, if one or more of UC/UH leave and especially if BYU is left on the table, I would expect Aresco to offer them football-only status. Our basketball programs cannot survive in an AAC that has defections from the pool of UC, UH, and Memphis. Yes, the Big East isn't the best and there's some sour feelings with a few of the Catholic bball-onlies, but would you rather be playing Villanova, PC, Xavier, and Georgetown or Tulane, Tulsa, USF, and ECU? Aresco would be in no position to push back against us all that much in negotiations. Paying a modified "exit' fee in this scenario would be worth it. We could tread water playing basketball in the Big East, infuse a little bit of fan-interest life back into the conference schedule, and pray for an ACC/B1G invite. AAC football would still be moderately serviceable if they made smart decisions post-defection, AAC basketball would not and we'd risk our biggest promotional tool to other P5 conferences being washed down the drain.

I've been saying this since the B12 announced plans for expansion. What leverage would Aresco have in forcing UConn to keep all sports in the AAC if UH/Cincy leaves? What's the difference if we're playing football in the MAC or a watered down AAC at that point? They can't afford to lose us.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Don't worry Briuconn.

I got a rolling eyes reminder yesterday from Captain Internet for starting a thread about the Herbst's Courant article when it appeared buried in a Tweets thread.
Yet somehow the thread exploded with discussion in spite of the condescending emoji's that were meant to shame me for doing so.

Reaction Score
Sportsart, but did anyone actually state anything in article? I did not see any info from it posted, so I did it

You gotta pay to see it. No one is dumb enough to do that.

Probably just says we are not Big 12 bound.

Reaction Score
You gotta pay to see it. No one is dumb enough to do that.

Probably just says we are not Big 12 bound.
I paid for it. Your missing that fact, which is why I gave the main info of the article. I did not create the post, however, i wanted to make it useful since it was created by pepband99

In addition, thanks for calling me dumb. Its $20 bucks are you that broke, thats pocket change

Reaction Score
The problem is ESPN still holds the cards correct?
The way it has been told it will be ESPN's decision the open up the AAC contract if certain teams leave.
They pay the league so little and presumable make great margins on the league they may keep the the contract intact, especially to keep UConn content from going to Fox.

Bastards own us!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Don't worry Briuconn.

I got a rolling eyes reminder yesterday from Captain Internet for starting a thread about the Herbst's Courant article when it appeared buried in a Tweets thread.
Yet somehow the thread exploded with discussion in spite of the condescending emoji's that were meant to shame me for doing so.

Buried in the the Tweets thread? So you figure, why read what others have taken the time to post, and just post something that has already been posted.

Why are you even here if things are too buried for you? Most people take the time to read the "buried" posts before they post themselves. Rule of thumb. If you are not a frequent poster here and you find something you think hasn't been posted, it probably has.

The board is hard enough to follow without having multiple threads on info already posted. Hope you got your vagina cleaned out. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If this is the scenario we might as well go back to 1aa in football and join something like the Patriot league. Build a 6000 seat "stadium" on campus and see about going all in on a new hockey arena. Maybe turn the practice center into a home facility and figure out what to do with Gampel. Performance center maybe

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The problem is ESPN still holds the cards correct?
The way it has been told it will be ESPN's decision the open up the AAC contract if certain teams leave.
They pay the league so little and presumable make great margins on the league they may keep the the contract intact, especially to keep UConn content from going to Fox.

Bastards own us!!!!!!

Isn't the AAC contract up in 2018? I think it wouldn't be too much trouble to play hardball with ESPN.

The message is the important thing. We hired Mike T. Blauds is tight with Mike T. If UConn wanted to leak something in a way that was immune to FOIA, it might very well take this approach. Why would we leak it? ESPN wants UConn hoops...cheap if possible. If they are working against us as a Big 12 addition, on the assumption that they can lock us up in the American for peanuts, we'd want to disabuse them of that notion. They might decide they're better off with 1/2 of our content, rather than none. Do they really want the flagship school in their home state, a school that launched them as a network, to be 100% Fox?

ElGuapo

Reaction Score
Emoji Boy still doesn't get it.
Questions me what I am doing here.
And how I read this board.
Or that there there is precedent for other Courant articles have their own threads to discuss the merit of what's written rather than muck up another thread.
You think that Courant article would have generated 280 (and counting) unique responses where it was posted as a drive by?
Without completely hijacking space for other key posts.
You suck and and your shtick is getting old.
Called out in other threads I see by wiser people.
Yet you keep going as if what you type means something.

Reaction Score
Emoji Boy still doesn't get it.
Questions me what I am doing here.
And how I read this board.
Or that there there is precedent for other Courant articles have their own threads to discuss the merit of what's written rather than muck up another thread.
You think that Courant article would have generated 280 (and counting) unique responses where it was posted as a drive by?
Without completely hijacking space for other key posts.
You suck and and your shtick is getting old.
Called out in other threads I see by wiser people.
Yet you keep going as if what you type means something.

Thank you for your interest in UConn football. If you think being called out by Whaler is being called out by a wiser person your ignorance is certainly showing.

You've been a member here for 3.5 years, and yet only 200 posts. That explains a lot. Feel free to have the last word. You are not worthy of another response, Mr Newbie. :D

ElGuapo

Reaction Score
Keep going douchey.
Spending your life typing to yourself on a college football left behinds board
Your stellar 1:1 post to like ratio shows how people here value your opinion.
Less is more you internet superstar.

good-good-let-the-butthurt-flow-through-you.jpg

Reaction Score

@Briuconn @pepband99

First, Briuconn I did not even see your post about what was actually in the article as I was typing my frustration post towards Pepband at the time you posted (my bad)

So in actuality Pepband's post brought out what was in the article by you Briuconn so nice job by both. Won't be the last time I'm an idiot on here, but at least I can recognize it.

CR is tough enough without gas being thrown on the fire. Again, nice job guys.

Reaction Score
Have we heard anything that says the Big East would be interested in UConn with only half a foot in the door? Revolving membership seems to be financially and operationally disruptive. If UConn stays FBS in football, it's clear that we would continue to push for ACC or B1G (or B12, SEC, PAC12) membership. I can only see the BE wanting to be part of that if taking UConn doesn't mean they also have to take another team that they wouldn't otherwise want to balance out scheduling. Or if UConn would bring in enough money somehow to offset the hassle (now and in the future). If, on the other hand, UConn follows Nelson's lead and drops to FCS then I'd thing the BE would welcome us with open arms.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
They will look to move all sports to BE and try for football only in the AAC, if not they will look to join another conference for football only. From a financial perspective they could make more money and save more money being part of the BE.
This makes no sense from BE's perspective unless we drop football. They've already seen what happens when you have a mix of FBS and FCS, and they'd have to know for sure that we're using them as a way station en route (hopefully) to a permanent, all-sports home next decade.

I can't imagine they want a repeat of the previous nonsense, even if it's A) just one team, and B) a team as a great as us. Stability is too important to that conference, and something they've largely gone without for more than a decade.

Reaction Score
The Big East needs viewers. They'd take us and if the B1G or ACC is making eyes at us for the long term, one of them will help us scheduling football games. Upstater made a great point elsewhere, the only problem with going back to the Big East is that FOX will know they are getting us either way and may not support us going to the B12.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
This makes no sense from BE's perspective unless we drop football. They've already seen what happens when you have a mix of FBS and FCS, and they'd have to know for sure that we're using them as a way station en route (hopefully) to a permanent, all-sports home next decade.

I can't imagine they want a repeat of the previous nonsense, even if it's A) just one team, and B) a team as a great as us. Stability is too important to that conference, and something they've largely gone without for more than a decade.
If Blauds still has Big East contacts then he may know that the Big East will take us for all sports but football because he reported as such a month or two ago - he claimed his big east sources would want us back. If they could have us for 10 years and reap the benefits of bringing them tourney credits why wouldn't they?

Now the real question is why would we do it? And I don't think we would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom