Black Crowes to tour this summer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Black Crowes to tour this summer

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think you might be missing some good music with that stance.
Perhaps, but I'm fine with it.

I discover new bands, I don't need to revisit old things consistently.
I'm a "never say 'never'" guy and @Deepster rightly called me out for my hot take on the Crowes tour. Even my resistance to the new incarnations of the Dead is not absolute; my middle daughter has become a Deadhead and I'd be hard pressed not to go to a show with her if she asked. But that's mostly about the experience. I'm still jaded about the music and the motivations and that's still the main reason for my resistance to the Crowes (i.e., I think it's pretty crappy what Chris did to the rest of the band). That said, under the right circumstances I could see myself having a good time there. Deepster has conjured some pretty nice circumstances and if they come to pass he may just convince me to join him there.

In the meantime, I just put 11/22 on the calendar for @August_West.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Late to this thread and I didn't see anyone mention it (apologies if I missed it) but if you like a good rock autobiography, check out Steve Gorman's book Hard to Handle (came out a few months ago). One of the best rock autobiogs I've read. Doesn't waste time talking about his upbringing and just gets into how he got started with the Crowes. He doesn't pull any punches and sheds some light on what a -show being in that band was. Highly recommended. After reading it, it's no surprise he isn't part of this tour and probably never will play with them again (but who knows)...

Reaction Score
You can't really have Band Democracy.

Springsteen figured that out very early: promote the guys and give them plenty of room for their artistic burn. But one leader is the way to make music through several generations. It is crazy when you spit out the many many iterations of bands that really really had that one moment of greatness ... and then could not stay together for more than a tour or 2. When you read Gorman speak about Robinson, it is a multipronged crazy task to put up with - musically, financial and personal.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Late to this thread and I didn't see anyone mention it (apologies if I missed it) but if you like a good rock autobiography, check out Steve Gorman's book Hard to Handle (came out a few months ago). One of the best rock autobiogs I've read. Doesn't waste time talking about his upbringing and just gets into how he got started with the Crowes. He doesn't pull any punches and sheds some light on what a -show being in that band was. Highly recommended. After reading it, it's no surprise he isn't part of this tour and probably never will play with them again (but who knows)...

Springsteen figured that out very early: promote the guys and give them plenty of room for their artistic burn. But one leader is the way to make music through several generations. It is crazy when you spit out the many many iterations of bands that really really had that one moment of greatness ... and then could not stay together for more than a tour or 2. When you read Gorman speak about Robinson, it is a multipronged crazy task to put up with - musically, financial and personal.
Jeff Tweedy's recent memoir provided some very good insight on band life, leaders, etc., too. Highly recommended for any Wilco fans. Also very funny.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Americans have tended to create solo artists. Think of any list of greatest American performers- Elvis, MJ, Dylan, Aretha, Madonna, James Brown, etc, and you go through a bunch of solo acts (or acts with back up band names (Hendrix Experience, Bruce and E Street) before you get to a band whose brand was as big as the solo artists.

Brits have had more bands as brands- Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc before you get to name brands. Bowie is probably the only solo artist who had as much name recognition as those bands.

Reaction Score
No more Jeff Cease with the band. He rocked it at the XL recently with Eric Church. I'm sure it will be a good tour but doesn't seem anything like the original band.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Americans have tended to create solo artists. Think of any list of greatest American performers- Elvis, MJ, Dylan, Aretha, Madonna, James Brown, etc, and you go through a bunch of solo acts (or acts with back up band names (Hendrix Experience, Bruce and E Street) before you get to a band whose brand was as big as the solo artists.

Brits have had more bands as brands- Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, etc before you get to name brands. Bowie is probably the only solo artist who had as much name recognition as those bands.

While I get what you're trying to say, using Bowie as the only solo "brand" is a bit of an overstatement. Every Brit knew of Lonnie Donnegan in the 50s, Cliff Richard and Donovan in the 60s and Elton John and Kate Bush in the 70s, among others. Not to mention Tom Jones and Englebert, who were both major pop stars as legitimate as late period Elvis. And to a lesser extent Van Morrison, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Rod Stewart, Elvis Costello and many others, even Clapton, were considered brands both within and outside their respective bands.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Broad generalization, IMO. Without really trying to pick a fight, I can come up with a few examples that say the opposite.

Ozzy, to me, is a bigger brand than Black Sabbath. The Beatles are a tough example. They were pioneers. Their music was ground breaking, but in the end, they broke up and all four members were well known and quite successful in their own right. Eric Clapton was a bigger name than any band he was ever a part of. Sting as well.

Closer to home, Aerosmith is so much larger than the sum of Tyler, Perry, Hamilton, Whitford, and Kramer. Ditto any version of Van Halen. I'd also say the same about the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doors, Metallica, and Pearl Jam.

Reaction Score
Saw the Crowes' accoustic tour at the Capitol in '13. Had seen them before but the acoustic was a jammy pleasant surprise. Of course, great venue.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
And to throw back to thread topic. Chris Robinson way more mod rod influenced than anything on planet

I've heard Rich cites Faces as a major influence, didn't know about Chris.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
While I get what you're trying to say, using Bowie as the only solo "brand" is a bit of an overstatement. Every Brit knew of Lonnie Donnegan in the 50s, Cliff Richard and Donovan in the 60s and Elton John and Kate Bush in the 70s, among others. Not to mention Tom Jones and Englebert, who were both major pop stars as legitimate as late period Elvis. And to a lesser extent Van Morrison, Jeff Beck, Rory Gallagher, Rod Stewart, Elvis Costello and many others, even Clapton, were considered brands both within and outside their respective bands.
Broad generalization, IMO. Without really trying to pick a fight, I can come up with a few examples that say the opposite.

Ozzy, to me, is a bigger brand than Black Sabbath. The Beatles are a tough example. They were pioneers. Their music was ground breaking, but in the end, they broke up and all four members were well known and quite successful in their own right. Eric Clapton was a bigger name than any band he was ever a part of. Sting as well.

Closer to home, Aerosmith is so much larger than the sum of Tyler, Perry, Hamilton, Whitford, and Kramer. Ditto any version of Van Halen. I'd also say the same about the Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doors, Metallica, and Pearl Jam.

I hear what both of you are saying. To clarify my point.

In the US very few people would put Van Halen or Aerosmith anywhere near the top solo artists in American Rock/Pop history. Ask most people for a top 10 list and maybe the Ealges or Doors sneak in towards the 8-10 spot. I understand the point that several American bands brands are bigger than any individual within the group. That wasn't my point. My point was the top bands/groups aren't at the top of American music history.

As for the Brits, I was just using Bowie as an example in terms of fame and influence. I would put Clapton and Elton in to that top tier as well but would put all of them below Zeppelin, Stones, Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Queen and a few others. Most people's list of Top Brit artists would have groups/bands making up the majority of the top 10 with maybe 2-3 solo artists closer to 10 than 1.

At least IMO.

Reaction Score
Springsteen is still making fresh music. Exciting new album music. Who else has that longevity over decades.
I’d say VanMorrison.

What is special ... they are premier songwriters. If you can't keep writing & regenerating a new vibrant theme over time, you won't last. So ... maybe touring grates them & makes them evil as partners owning shares in the band; but, if you have no one to push the music to remain on top, you become a character act replaying your hits.

I also love the Capitol in Port Chester NY

Reaction Score
slightly hot take... Aerosmith is insanely overrated and I will never understand how anyone can put them in the same breath as some of the bands previously mentioned. Discuss.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Springsteen is still making fresh music. Exciting new album music. Who else has that longevity over decades.
I’d say VanMorrison.
I'd say Bob Dylan. He had those great albums around the turn of the century, decades after what most consider his prime.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I’d say VanMorrison.

I personally think there are a number of old guys doing great music, just not in the band format where they made their fame, and mostly not "radio-friendly" stuff. Gilmour, Knopfler and Frampton come immediately to mind. They're doing stuff they want to do, not necessarily to stay on top. More quiet, more instrumental, but IMO, much of it is excellent. Talent is talent.

I haven't listened to any of Robertson's side projects to have an opinion, although I've read New Earth Mud received good reviews.

Reaction Score
slightly hot take... Aerosmith is insanely overrated and I will never understand how anyone can put them in the same breath as some of the bands previously mentioned. Discuss.

I agree completely. With the exception of a few early songs, they are entirely mediocre. IMO.

Then again I can't stand the Black Crowes either. I find their music to be very annoying, yet lots of my jam band friends seem to love them. Same thing with Widespread Panic. That raspy voice just doesn't appeal to me.

Wilco:. One song hits me, Impossible Germany. Despite my efforts to like their other stuff, it just doesn't click.

Reaction Score
7/24 at XFinity. Tickets on sale now.

Already looking forward to this one. Saw them at the Bushnell in 1993. Maybe the best show I've ever seen.

I was at that show too. Absolutely phenomenal. I also saw them open for Tom Petty in 2005 and they were absolutely horrible. I will be there next summer hoping for a reprise of the 1993 show.

Reaction Score
I agree completely. With the exception of a few early songs, they are entirely mediocre. IMO.

Then again I can't stand the Black Crowes either. I find their music to be very annoying, yet lots of my jam band friends seem to love them. Same thing with Widespread Panic. That raspy voice just doesn't appeal to me.

Wilco:. One song hits me, Impossible Germany. Despite my efforts to like their other stuff, it just doesn't click.

I do like the Crowes, but I just can't listen to too much in one sitting. It gets very repetitive to me. I do like Panic, though, and am firmly in the jam band circle.

With Wilco, you've got to really dig deeper. They write some fantastic music but it is all over the place. The first few albums are good Americana rock vibes, then there are countri-fied outputs, and then noise, and then... They're one of the best things going in my opinion.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Sirius XM is running some specials with Chris and Rich giving interviews and sharing stories of years gone by.

Chris was talking of being at some bar where he was with Liam Gallagher. He said the night was ending, Liam was leaving and walking up some steps and a fan came up to Liam and asked if he could shake Liam's hand. Liam obliged and the fan replied that he always wanted to shake the hand of the biggest balloon knot in rock. Chris said Liam, without hesitation, tightened his grip, pulled the guy forwarded and gave the fan a headbutt. Then he dropped the handshake and walked off.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
With Wilco, you've got to really dig deeper. They write some fantastic music but it is all over the place. The first few albums are good Americana rock vibes, then there are countri-fied outputs, and then noise, and then... They're one of the best things going in my opinion.
What did it for me was a show at College Street a few winters ago. My buddy was the big Wilco fan, I was just going to see music. Day of the show I was sick and not that in to it, until they started. I thought they were great. I was especially surprised how much I enjoyed their all-acoustic encore. Didn't kill the momentum at all, it was a cool way to end the show.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom