Black Crowes to tour this summer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Black Crowes to tour this summer

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I love the Crowes,

but yeah, I mean no Steve Gorman? cmon

Its just the Robinson brothers and a bunch of hired salary noobs.

Now Im not saying the Robinson brothers dont have a right to do whatever they want . They absolutely do. Its their band really.

But:
Rich
Chris
Marc Ford (frickin killer)
Johnny Colt
Steve Gorman
Eddie Harsch

are MY Black Crowes.

Killer band.

Just remember the Stones have been touring with Ron Woods for 45 years and he wasn't around for their first 10 albums. Bands change all the time. See also, Allman Brothers.

Only band out there whose moniker is crap is Skynyrd. Literally not an original player on the current band.

Reaction Score
Just remember the Stones have been touring with Ron Woods for 45 years and he wasn't around for their first 10 albums. Bands change all the time. See also, Allman Brothers.

Only band out there whose moniker is crap is Skynyrd. Literally not an original player on the current band.

Skynyrd has one original, Gary Rossington plus Ricky Medlocke (later of Blackfoot) who was with them briefly in the early 70's before their first LP.

The worst is when you have a band like Molly Hatchet, still touring with one guy who played with an original member.
They've had 5 of their 6 original members die in their 50's and early 60's.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Kinks wow. Thought they were getting old in '81 when I saw them at Tanglewood with Mott the Hoople! LOL

This would be the exciting news. My wife’s favorite band. Saw Ray Davies solo in Boston a few years ago.

Saw the Chris Robinson Experience (?) once. Awful. Bunch of talented musicians who acted like there was no audience and they were in the studio. Snobby and disinterested in the crowd. They performed for themselves not us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, it's mostly a personality defect. Same reason I won't go see whatever incarnation is playing as The Dead these days: for me, it dilutes the good memories I have of seeing that music performed live by the original members of the band.

Last two times I saw the Crowes were really good and I'm content to leave it there. Chris is one of the greatest frontmen of his generation and I love the tension between him and Rich, and I'm sure the band will be capable; but this one just kind of reeks money grab to me.

I would say, you're the poster I most respect around here and I always give your take the benefit of the doubt. That said, I think you're missing the boat on this one.

End of July. Friday night. Tailgate first. Beautiful summer night. Catch a little buzz and listen to Chris Robinson screech out their great songs. You said it yourself. All time great front man. As opposed to ordering a pizza, sitting home and watching "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" on your couch?

I'll also say this. I went to one of August's gigs last year. Jerry didn't walk through the door that night, but we had some drinks, danced a bunch and had a really great night. Hoping to catch another one soon. My girlfriend asks all the time when we're going again. Live music > Recorded music.

I'm not trying to outdo 1993. I know the show is going to be good ol' fashioned rock and roll. No brainer there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You were at the shows in Hampton this weekend? That's what he told me last night when he flew back to the city, don't know why he would make it up.
I wasn’t , no.
About 300 friends were.

I would’ve heard about that as it happened. By all accounts they were the best two shows of the short tour. And I’ve seen one of them fall over at a show. It’s entirely possible , but it didn’t happen in Hampton

August_West

Reaction Score
I would say, you're the poster I most respect around here and I always give your take the benefit of the doubt. That said, I think you're missing the boat on this one.

End of July. Friday night. Tailgate first. Beautiful summer night. Catch a little buzz and listen to Chris Robinson screech out their great songs. You said it yourself. All time great front man. As opposed to ordering a pizza, sitting home and watching "Diners, Drive Ins and Dives" on your couch?

I'll also say this. I went to one of August's gigs last year. Jerry didn't walk through the door that night, but we had some drinks, danced a bunch and had a really great night. Hoping to catch another one soon. My girlfriend asks all the time when we're going again. Live music > Recorded music.

I'm not trying to outdo 1993. I know the show is going to be good ol' fashioned rock and roll. No brainer there.

11/22 free show la boca Middletown. Maybe 8893 and @Dove will show. They have a bunch. It was the last place we all hung out with @Dogbreath2U

August_West

Reaction Score

That’s a crappy comparison.

Jagger Richards watts have been there for almost 60 years. Wyman was there for close to 30. The other guitar chair was a hot seat with jones and Taylor in first 15 years.

The Robinson brothers are the Crowe’s no doubt, but still. One more at least please.

Btw last I checked Gary Rossington still in skynyrd when they finished

But yeah he’s only one.

Reaction Score

I can't believe you of all people are going to travel into Hartford. Thoughts and prayers.

Anyway, love Wiser Time. Summer night, nice fire, G&T or a bourbon....Great song.

Reaction Score
I wasn’t , no.
About 300 friends were.

I would’ve heard about that as it happened. By all accounts they were the best two shows of the short tour. And I’ve seen one of them fall over at a show. It’s entirely possible , but it didn’t happen in Hampton
Weird, he was at two of their shows this weekend in Hampton. He came over to pick up his dog last night. He gave me a Dead and Co. shirt which I'll never wear and told me about the shows. He said the shows were good but they're getting really old and told me one of them passed out when he went to pick up his hat.

Just texted him, he said it was Bill Kreutzman and the keyboard player caught him.

Reaction Score
I'd rather that CR just stayed with the Brotherhood
He is such a pain in the ass that some musicians won't give him the time of day
I get all the "original hippie" crap but I'm as original hippy as CR any day
Love his music but the personality sucks - can't believe Neal Casal put up with him as long as he did
If I have nothing better to do, like mow the lawn, I may grab a lawn seat but its really the 2 Robinson boys and some other musicians - not the Black Crowes

I mean, he put up with Ryan Adams for 4 years?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Saw the Chris Robinson Experience (?) once. Awful. Bunch of talented musicians who acted like there was no audience and they were in the studio. Snobby and disinterested in the crowd. They performed for themselves not us.
I enjoyed then when I saw them. I thought they jammed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Kinks wow. Thought they were getting old in '81 when I saw them at Tanglewood with Mott the Hoople! LOL

Cripes, Ray was only like 37 then and still jumping around like crazy on stage (see the One For The Road tour film, primarily from their Providence show in 1980).

Fwiw, Ian Hunter would've been 42 back in 1981 (was planning a tour this fall at 80, but cancelled due to tinnitus).

Chris Robinson is 52.

Anyway, that brother thing was a joke. And if Ray, Dave and Mick do hit the road again, they'll be headliners (and it will undoubtedly be an awful show since neither brother can sing anymore).

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Just remember the Stones have been touring with Ron Woods for 45 years and he wasn't around for their first 10 albums. Bands change all the time.

And in all that time, Ronnie hasn't done a thing as good as he did with Faces and Rod.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Agreed .... except for this one off

But yeah Stewart> jagger
Faces>stones

I'll accept that. Not with Stones.

That whole little period of synchronicity when Marriott left for Humble Pie (and Frampton left his pop band), Rod & Ronnie left Beck to join the remains of Small Faces, and Beck just went on to do Beck things worked out for everyone and produced some amazing music.

Too bad Rod went MOR. "A Nod Is a Wink..." is as fine a crunchy & raunchy rock n' roll disc as was ever produced.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
I'll accept that. Not with Stones.

That whole little period of synchronicity when Marriott left for Humble Pie (and Frampton left his pop band), Rod & Ronnie left Beck to join the remains of Small Faces, and Beck just went on to do Beck things worked out for everyone and produced some amazing music.

Too bad Rod went AOR. "A Nod Is a Wink..." is as fine a crunchy & raunchy rock n' roll disc as was ever produced.
Better than original. Incredible.
And to throw back to thread topic. Chris Robinson way more mod rod influenced than anything on planet

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Skynyrd has one original, Gary Rossington plus Ricky Medlocke (later of Blackfoot) who was with them briefly in the early 70's before their first LP.

The worst is when you have a band like Molly Hatchet, still touring with one guy who played with an original member.
They've had 5 of their 6 original members die in their 50's and early 60's.

That’s a crappy comparison.

Jagger Richards watts have been there for almost 60 years. Wyman was there for close to 30. The other guitar chair was a hot seat with jones and Taylor in first 15 years.

The Robinson brothers are the Crowe’s no doubt, but still. One more at least please.

Btw last I checked Gary Rossington still in skynyrd when they finished

But yeah he’s only one.
Missed that Rossington was still band. I had heard the whole band was now replacement members.

August_West

Reaction Score
Missed that Rossington was still band. I had heard the whole band was now replacement members.

Technically Ricky Medlocke (the other guitar player now) can be considered somewhat OG too because he was the drummer for a hot minute in early 70's before Artimus Pyle. But not long and no one remembers. But he as there.

Reaction Score
Saw the Crowes at the Beacon in 1995 - they were pretty great. That said, I personally don't go and revisit a band after it's morphed. Folks tell me I'm missing the boat not seeing the modern Dead with Mayer, but it's a hard pass for me and I wasn't even a Jerry fawner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom