Bird and Canada | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bird and Canada

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If the chemistry is good Sue can leave a legacy through Jordin. It may prove to be a brilliant move by the Storm.

Time will tell ...as it often does ;)
Part of Sue’s legacy will be Stewie and Jewell. And hopefully Kaleena.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
JordyG,
I have ready many of your comments and appreciate them and your positivity. I think there's a point where positivity might be excessive but of course that's in the eyes of the beholder.
Just because Geno or the coaching staff makes decisions whether they be recruiting ones or in game situations or whatever even they are not always right. Maybe your history of positivity or projections has a very high rate of accuracy, one can't take yours or more importantly Geno's (who I've never heard talk that way) as inherently correct. MW couldn't secure the 7th spot, yes on a team with six probable AA's who she wasn't going to play more than. But her competition was the other six players, none of whom were close to HS players of the year. She wasn't able to do that for whatever reasons any of us can conjecture about. That's why I think that type of positivity is way excessive and overboard. Maybe she will prove you right (again) and me wrong but I ain't yet swallowing the kool aid.
Canada will be a very good pro player and point guard and couldn't be more fortunate than learning from Sue Bird.
Bronx23
I guess we'll need to resume this conversation at a future date. I believe MW is a future AA, as is Christyn, as is ONO. In sports past performance isn't always indicative of future behavior, especially with freshmen. Let's just mark this as "To be continued".

Reaction Score
Here's a link to Bird's career stats. She is really consistent except for a terrible year in 2015. I thought she was totally washed up. She wasn't. Last year she averaged one free throw attempt a game. She must not drive much anymore.
Sue Bird WNBA Stats | Basketball-Reference.com

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One thing re: Seattle that I noticed 2 seasons ago: (didn't pay much attention last year)...

Stewie and Lloyd seldom have simultaneous high scoring games .

If Dan Hughes can figure out how to get both of them going at the same time
Seattle will be a far more dangerous team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jewell still needs to improve her shot selection. She is athletic enough to get almost any shot she wants, but some are low percentage. Her straight pull-up at the foul line extended is money. A severe off-balance fall-away from 18’ is not.

Reaction Score
One in a hundred. Lets remember this post. Canada is going to surprise.
There is no surprise to anyone who has a favorite team in the PAC12 that watched Jordin Canada play the last 4 years. This kid is GREAT! Seattle is not stupid. She will play with Sue Bird on the floor, and, when Sue Bird needs some rest. Someone mentioned her "Elite" Defense. Let me tell you, she is a nightmare for the other team defensively. She is a complete player who can break down a defense, and, with WNBA teammates, will get many, many assists. Go Canada!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Jewell still needs to improve her shot selection. She is athletic enough to get almost any shot she wants, but some are low percentage. Her straight pull-up at the foul line extended is money. A severe off-balance fall-away from 18’ is not.

IMHO, Loyd will get much better coaching from Dan Hughes than she did from Jenny Boucek, his predecessor. I was never impressed with her. He will fix the minor flaws in her game.

Reaction Score
Bird is the greatest point guard to ever play the game, better than Staley. Her legacy is unmatched at the position. I wasn't able to catch her games before her injury that freshman season but I knew she was special when she came to TBA and led the Huskies to a victory over the LVs. I've rarely seen her have a bad game. I watched a WNBA game a few seasons ago and she looked like she was wearing thin. Then came the 2016 Olympics and holy smokes, she looked years younger in how she played, as did DT.

You can't replace a legend without another coming along and I don't see Canada at that level. However, she had a very good college career and could turn out to be an excellent pro.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Sue had a couple of subpar (for her) WNBA seasons. She had to adjust to playing without Lauren Jackson. Additionally, Sue played injured. Over a few years, she had surgery on both hips and one knee, I believe. She’s been healthy since 2006 and is about as good as ever. I agree that her career has surpassed Dawn’s. She is the winningest player in the history of USA Basketball. Though Stewie may be on track to surpass her, Breanna is 12-15 years behind Sue.

Reaction Score
I guess we'll need to resume this conversation at a future date. I believe MW is a future AA, as is Christyn, as is ONO. In sports past performance isn't always indicative of future behavior, especially with freshmen. Let's just mark this as "To be continued".
Very good response! Better than what I would have come up with!
Looking forward to the next few years and seeing where all this goes.
Regards,
Bronx23

JordyG

Reaction Score
Very good response! Better than what I would have come up with!
Looking forward to the next few years and seeing where all this goes.
Regards,
Bronx23
How could I not send love and respect to someone whose moniker is Bronx23? I'm a city boy.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada led Seattle w/ 17 points yesterday in another exhibition win against Phoenix.

For what it is worth, she was a +29 and clearly engineered the 32-12 4th quarter push and again led the team going to the free throw line 6/7. I think she is probably already better than Jewell overall but will probably have to bide her time for a while.

Reaction Score
For what it is worth, she was a +29 and clearly engineered the 32-12 4th quarter push and again led the team going to the free throw line 6/7. I think she is probably already better than Jewell overall but will probably have to bide her time for a while.
Canada goes 6-7 in free throws and Bird averaged 1 free throw attempt a game that last 3 years. Canada may get more minutes a game THIS year than Bird.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Canada goes 6-7 in free throws and Bird averaged 1 free throw attempt a game that last 3 years. Canada may get more minutes a game THIS year than Bird.

What has impressed me about Canada is her commitment to improving her game. Freshman year at UCLA, she was a 13% 3-pt shooter, only going 3-23. By her senior year, she was a 39% 3-pt shooter, going 51-132.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
What has impressed me about Canada is her commitment to improving her game. Freshman year at UCLA, she was a 13% 3-pt shooter, only going 3-23. By her senior year, she was a 39% 3-pt shooter, going 51-132.
That's a nice improvement!

Reaction Score
How could I not send love and respect to someone whose moniker is Bronx23? I'm a city boy.
Thanks!
Lifelong NYer! Have lived in 4 of the five boroughs (obvious which must be the fifth and that ain't happening).
Back at you!
Bronx23

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thanks!
Lifelong NYer! Have lived in 4 of the five boroughs (obvious which must be the fifth and that ain't happening).
Back at you!
Bronx23
I'm a lifer too. I was walking The City in the rain all day yesterday thinking how much I enjoy walking this city. As for which borough we'd never live in, ain't it the truth. I'll walk and visit the heck out of it though. Why haven't we seen the Jordan Brand Classic together? I've seen the last two with Milford.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm a lifer too. I was walking The City in the rain all day yesterday thinking how much I enjoy walking this city. As for which borough we'd never live in, ain't it the truth. I'll walk and visit the heck out of it though. Why haven't we seen the Jordan Brand Classic together? I've seen the last two with Milford.
And I came up from Virginia! Looking forward to seeing Jordy in April 2019!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Looking forward to it. Hopefully we'll have Bronx23 in the house with us.
Yeah, and we’ll be cheering for Jones, Boston, and Horston, plus Amihere if Canadians can be included. :)

Reaction Score
Thanks for the invite!
A few things. I haven't been going to those events (unfortunately) as my following girls HS basketball has been very limited since my daughter stopped playing organized ball years ago. Most of my information comes from the recruiting threads here. Between having my first grandchild two plus years ago, still working a bit, regularly involvement in charity work, and being and traveling with my wife, that hasn't been high on the list.
But I'd love to know more and see if I could work it out. Love to meet you, Milford or others here, if or when possible. I'm pretty new here, very tech challenged but surely interested.
Thanks again!
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom