Bird and Canada | The Boneyard

Bird and Canada

Reaction Score
is their a chance Jordon Canada will be so good she will force the Storm to give her more minutes by mid season than Sue Bird?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If Jordin is really, really good, she can give some more rest to Sue later in the season. How many Lieberman and NPOY awards did Canada win?

It’s interesting that Seattle waived Peterson at about the time they drafted Jordin. I guess they changed their minds on the PG of the future.

Reaction Score
I think Seattle made a huge mistake drafting Canada. She hasn’t shown in 4 years of college that she can run an offense. She is a shoot first PG, who makes terrible decisions and frankly, isn’t that good of a shooter.

Reaction Score
I think he’s saying it’s a shoot and only shoot first conference:rolleyes:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think he’s saying it’s a shoot and only shoot first conference:rolleyes:
Her career assist numbers aren't a fluke or a misprint. Canada's problem is playing under control, learning when and how to use 2nd and 3rd gear, and becoming a more consistent shooter from inside the arc, nonetheless from outside the arc. When she learns to play more under control she'll see the floor better. She'll also learn that she can trust many more of these pro players to make their shots in the first quarter and with 2 mins. left.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say something that many of those here aren't going to take well to.
How and why many times when a really good player or a really good team is compared to a U Conn player or alumni, or the whole team does it invoke defensiveness and over criticism of the outsider.
I'm a lifelong NY'er and saw Sue Bird play at Christ the King HS and for her AAU team the Liberty Belles. She is clearly amongst the very best point guard to ever play in the women's game. She is, should be and probably will be the point guard of the US National Team, I think this is the 5th time. She also clearly has been a leader in the game for 15 or more years.
As in every sport as one ages, they reach a point where they start to lose their quickness, anticipation slows, harder to maintain optimum fitness, or whatever. While Sue still got "it", that process has begun. Eventually she will need to play less or retire completely. I remember my favorite all time baseball player, Willie Mays, continue to play way too long, and it was embarrassing to watch.
Jordin Canada is a very good young player and point guard. Of course it remains to be seen, that she might even come close to the pro player Sue has been(and I truly doubt it). But the time is shortening and growing closer.
My other pet peeve is when we are comparing some of our evolving players who are living on their HS reputations and use terms like future AA or NPOY, when they had a less than expected freshman season.
The players that have come through this program are amongst the best in the game. The NC's won stand by itself, with only one other coach and team even close.
Sorry for this rant, but as fans we should be proud of the team we root for, without minimizing others or overhyping our own (and I am NOT) referring to Sue Bird.
Bronx23

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm going to say something that many of those here aren't going to take well to.
How and why many times when a really good player or a really good team is compared to a U Conn player or alumni, or the whole team does it invoke defensiveness and over criticism of the outsider.
I'm a lifelong NY'er and saw Sue Bird play at Christ the King HS and for her AAU team the Liberty Belles. She is clearly amongst the very best point guard to ever play in the women's game. She is, should be and probably will be the point guard of the US National Team, I think this is the 5th time. She also clearly has been a leader in the game for 15 or more years.
As in every sport as one ages, they reach a point where they start to lose their quickness, anticipation slows, harder to maintain optimum fitness, or whatever. While Sue still got "it", that process has begun. Eventually she will need to play less or retire completely. I remember my favorite all time baseball player, Willie Mays, continue to play way too long, and it was embarrassing to watch.
Jordin Canada is a very good young player and point guard. Of course it remains to be seen, that she might even come close to the pro player Sue has been(and I truly doubt it). But the time is shortening and growing closer.
My other pet peeve is when we are comparing some of our evolving players who are living on their HS reputations and use terms like future AA or NPOY, when they had a less than expected freshman season.
The players that have come through this program are amongst the best in the game. The NC's won stand by itself, with only one other coach and team even close.
Sorry for this rant, but as fans we should be proud of the team we root for, without minimizing others or overhyping our own (and I am NOT) referring to Sue Bird.
Bronx23
I agree with most of your post. As for your issue with calling some players future AA's when their freshmen year has been less than stellar, I don't see any problem with positivity. I know I've done this and I ain't been wrong yet. I have qualified some of my boosterism with phrases such as, "If she continues to improve in this area", or "If she cuts down on mistakes here", or such. Nothin' wrong with it.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Jordin has a lot to learn but there is no better place for her to be than under the tutelage of Bird. I was always waiting for more from Jordin. In AAU she was a pass first PG, great at driving and kicking to shooters. At UCLA, other than Korver who was usually guarded, we had no shooters. This affected her game and it seemed she was always trying too hard. She will have to relearn how to really play the position.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
is their a chance Jordon Canada will be so good she will force the Storm to give her more minutes by mid season than Sue Bird?

It's possible. Depends on many factors. But it is very possible.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Jordin has a lot to learn but there is no better place for her to be than under the tutelage of Bird. I was always waiting for more from Jordan. In AAU she was a pass first PG, great at driving and kicking to shooters. At UCLA, other than Korver who was usually guarded, we had no shooters. This affected her game and it seemed she was always trying too hard. She will have to relearn how to really play the position.
That's a great point - clearly she is capable of dishing assists since she had a bunch in college. Frankly, I blame the coaching - when you have other talented players like Burke, Billings, and maybe a few others. Yes, we all know when the game is in the line, and 30 seconds are left, either a player is going to take it to the hoop, or a specific play will be run, but Jordin was all about putting her head down and driving to the basket a LOT during games.

My point about blaming the coaching is that Close should have taught/forced Canada to actually run offense, unless she brought the ball up, the "red seas" parted for her, and no one stopped the ball. Now maybe that's what the team needed her to do, maybe it's what the coaches wanted, or allowed, or maybe it was some other reason. Clearly UCLA was successful and clearly Canada can "create her own shot" (which everyone apparently loves), but when you are surrounded by pros, doing it all by yourself really won't work.

She's a smart kid and a great athlete. I think she will get better and there's no better teacher than Sue IMHO...

Reaction Score
Seattle has to be thinking of their future post Bird. Seattle has not made the big move these past couple of years with an aging Bird. Stewart is a proven pro, Loyd as well. The youth movement has to continue and it could not have come at a better time. Minnesota is not getting younger and has not been able to improve/get younger via the draft. They have been relying on their core group of steady pros for the better part of seven years. Los Angeles will also eventually come back to the pack. Seattle. IMO, is the team of the future.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I agree that Canada can play out of control at times and had questionable shot selection sometimes, but she can be a game changer as well. As several have mentioned Bird can't play forever and this might be as good a time as any to try to start grooming a replacement. UCLA is not one of my primary rooting interests but I've enjoyed watching Canada play and she seems like a high quality individual both on and off the basketball court. I think Storm fans will likely quickly grow to like her. I saw a few comments after the first exhibition game, she said she felt comfortable playing at Key Arena, was on that floor multiple times as the Pac 12 Tourney has been held there in recent years.

Sorta OT, but the game was against Phoenix. Both teams were probably missing some players but the Mercury had 4 starters from last year not on the floor. Merc rookie and OSU alum Marie Gulich got her first pro bucket about 30 seconds into the game, on a baseline mid range jumper. Looked like a nice stat line for her, double figure scoring in about 20 minutes of play, hit almost all of her shots.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
but I've enjoyed watching Canada play and she seems like a high quality individual both on and off the basketball court. I think Storm fans will likely quickly grow to like her.
I'm with ya on all this.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's a great point - clearly she is capable of dishing assists since she had a bunch in college. Frankly, I blame the coaching - when you have other talented players like Burke, Billings, and maybe a few others. Yes, we all know when the game is in the line, and 30 seconds are left, either a player is going to take it to the hoop, or a specific play will be run, but Jordin was all about putting her head down and driving to the basket a LOT during games.

My point about blaming the coaching is that Close should have taught/forced Canada to actually run offense, unless she brought the ball up, the "red seas" parted for her, and no one stopped the ball. Now maybe that's what the team needed her to do, maybe it's what the coaches wanted, or allowed, or maybe it was some other reason. Clearly UCLA was successful and clearly Canada can "create her own shot" (which everyone apparently loves), but when you are surrounded by pros, doing it all by yourself really won't work.

She's a smart kid and a great athlete. I think she will get better and there's no better teacher than Sue IMHO...

Jordin Canada can ball!! I watched her for 4 years. I've seen her try and put the team on her back, and will them to victory. I predict that she not only is a keeper, but will flourish exactly the way Courtney Williams (USF) did last year with the Connecticut Sun. Williams did the same things last year she did at USF.

She will have to get through that period of adjustment like every other new rookie coming into the league. Once she gets her confidence going (1-2 years maybe), and learns how to play the game at this level, she'll settle down and settle in. She's a gamer, and has a very high BB IQ. Make no mistake about it, she is IS Sue's heir apparent in Seattle. Remember, you heard it here first. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Seattle has to be thinking of their future post Bird. Seattle has not made the big move these past couple of years with an aging Bird. Stewart is a proven pro, Loyd as well. The youth movement has to continue and it could not have come at a better time. Minnesota is not getting younger and has not been able to improve/get younger via the draft. They have been relying on their core group of steady pros for the better part of seven years. Los Angeles will also eventually come back to the pack. Seattle. IMO, is the team of the future.
Piggy backing off of your post, I believe that Dallas is also a team of the future. They are very, very young (I believe either the youngest team last year or for sure the youngest playoff team). Teams that invest so much in the future keep me excited. I love all of the teams. But teams like the Wings and Storm keep me invested for the future.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordin Canada can ball!! I watched her for 4 years. I've seen her try and put the team on her back, and will them to victory. I predict that she not only is a keeper, but will flourish exactly the way Courtney Williams (USF) did last year with the Connecticut Sun. Williams did the same things last year she did at USF.

She will have to get through that period of adjustment like every other new rookie coming into the league. Once she gets her confidence going (1-2 years maybe), and learns how to play the game at this level, she'll settle down and settle in. She's a gamer, and has a very high BB IQ. Make no mistake about it, she is IS Sue's heir apparent in Seattle. Remember, you heard it here first. :cool:
+100. Anyone who doesn't think that 1) Canada's game is nice and 2) That it won't translate to the professional game just hasn't been watching.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Canada in her senior year averaged 17.0 ppg and 7.1 assists per game in her senior year. Her shooting percentage was 43.5% (not great but by no means horrible for a guard) and her assist-to-turnover ratio was a very strong 2.76 (top 20 in the nation). Her on-ball defense was elite level, with 3.26 steals per game (10th in the nation).

I actually think Canada's defense and speed will give her the biggest boost initially as a pro, and the offensive prowess will come along more slowly. But I definitely think she's a keeper, and no one better than Sue Bird for her to learn about floor management and decision-making.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Canada is a spitfire. Always attacking. Not mentioned is her 7-7 ft in 23 minutes. Getting into the teeth of a defense for shots , pull out assists and earning fouls on the opponent is very important. I would choose her over Loyd even now but I guess that would be logistically hard.

Reaction Score
If the chemistry is good Sue can leave a legacy through Jordin. It may prove to be a brilliant move by the Storm.

Time will tell ...as it often does ;)

Reaction Score
I agree with most of your post. As for your issue with calling some players future AA's when their freshmen year has been less than stellar, I don't see any problem with positivity. I know I've done this and I ain't been wrong yet. I have qualified some of my boosterism with phrases such as, "If she continues to improve in this area", or "If she cuts down on mistakes here", or such. Nothin' wrong with it.
JordyG,
I have ready many of your comments and appreciate them and your positivity. I think there's a point where positivity might be excessive but of course that's in the eyes of the beholder.
Just because Geno or the coaching staff makes decisions whether they be recruiting ones or in game situations or whatever even they are not always right. Maybe your history of positivity or projections has a very high rate of accuracy, one can't take yours or more importantly Geno's (who I've never heard talk that way) as inherently correct. MW couldn't secure the 7th spot, yes on a team with six probable AA's who she wasn't going to play more than. But her competition was the other six players, none of whom were close to HS players of the year. She wasn't able to do that for whatever reasons any of us can conjecture about. That's why I think that type of positivity is way excessive and overboard. Maybe she will prove you right (again) and me wrong but I ain't yet swallowing the kool aid.
Canada will be a very good pro player and point guard and couldn't be more fortunate than learning from Sue Bird.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom