Bill Self | The Boneyard

Bill Self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He deserves his own thread after flaming out again as the number 1 overall. The guy totally sucks in the big games, he coaches tight and his players follow suit. He has a roster full of 5 star talents and basically plays a 5 man rotation. It took a million missed ft's by Memphis and a miracle play by Sherron Collins and Mario Chalmers to save his butt years ago. Winning the Big 12 every year is really impressive but when your fanbase knows you will flame out as a 1 seed every time it must really suck. He didn't have Brannen Greene tonight but it doesn't matter he wouldn't have played the kid anyway, he never plays his best shooters. Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg must love their decision going to play for him. A couple of my Kansas buddies have said before they pretty much want him gone because they think he's a choker, tonight is not going to help change that perception.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
His players missed about a million open threes, that's on them more than Self. Surprised he didn't start doubling on the bigs down low instead of letting them score at will.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eh...I don't think this is on Self.

That Nova team is a to deal with and if Kansas has a weakness, it's that their point guards are not terribly talented...not a good thing when playing Nova.

Nova turned their guards over and hit 18-19 free throws - that's how we were rolling in 2014.

Reaction Score
He deserves his own thread after flaming out again as the number 1 overall. The guy totally sucks in the big games, he coaches tight and his players follow suit. He has a roster full of 5 star talents and basically plays a 5 man rotation. It took a million missed ft's by Memphis and a miracle play by Sherron Collins and Mario Chalmers to save his butt years ago. Winning the Big 12 every year is really impressive but when your fanbase knows you will flame out as a 1 seed every time it must really suck. He didn't have Brannen Greene tonight but it doesn't matter he wouldn't have played the kid anyway, he never plays his best shooters. Cheick Diallo and Carlton Bragg must love their decision going to play for him. A couple of my Kansas buddies have said before they pretty much want him gone because they think he's a choker, tonight is not going to help change that perception.

Davidson had a 3 in the air to beat him - albeit on a botched play that took the ball out of Curry's hands. If that dropped, he'd have losses to Bradley, Davidson, Northern Iowa and VCU - and he probably would be replaced.

Reaction Score
They only lose Ellis, so they have a lot of talent coming back.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nova turned their guards over and hit 18-19 free throws - that's how we were rolling in 2014.
^ this

Pretty much 'just because,' I was all set to dismiss Villanova before I saw them actually play. Wrong.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I can't believe Self is going anywhere

kinda reminds me of all the JC bashing before we partied like it's 1999

Reaction Score
I can't believe Self is going anywhere

kinda reminds me of all the JC bashing before we partied like it's 1999
Seriously. He's not a great in-game or tourney coach, but he gets you 30 wins a year and always keeps the program in the hunt and relevant on the national scene.

7 straight years as a 1 or 2 seed and one final four.
On this board we complain because all we do is win titles every third year, but never get 1 or 2 seeds anymore...

Reaction Score
Davidson had a 3 in the air to beat him - albeit on a botched play that took the ball out of Curry's hands. If that dropped, he'd have losses to Bradley, Davidson, Northern Iowa and VCU - and he probably would be replaced.
Not just that, Memphis had a guy on the line who only needed to make one free throw to ice the National Championship. Change those 2 plays, and they're running Self out of town on a rail.

Reaction Score
Bill Self has won 11 straight Big 12 regular season titles and you're really going to call him out? Just look at the box score and it's clear old man Ellis cost them. Their best and most efficient player had 4 points and 4 turnovers. stupid thread

Reaction Score
Eh...I don't think this is on Self.

That Nova team is a to deal with and if Kansas has a weakness, it's that their point guards are not terribly talented...not a good thing when playing Nova.

But when it happens year after year there is a problem. My Kansas friends say he never uses his players talents correctly and never develops his players during the year and it always catches up with them. He picks 5 that he likes and rolls with them. Brannen Greene is the best shooter on the team and Self hates him. The Russian kid who is a top 15 recuit just started getting minutes in the first round of the tournament. Carlton Bragg was a top 25 recruit and barely gets any burn all year. Cheick Diallo was the #5 recruit in the country and he didn't play him at all the whole season. Guy shrinks his bench more than Boeheim ever did, depth should have been the biggest asset for KU. Self had no game plan tonight and Graham who is a streak shooter is all that kept it close, never saw Self make the necessary adjustments.

Reaction Score
If Kansas fans want Self gone, I would question their sanity.

It's something that's been mentioned here before, but the near unprecedented success of our program tends to distort our perception of other programs and coaches. It's really, really, really, really hard to win a title. Cal and Self are arguably the most successful coaches - save K - of the last decade, and yet they're constantly scrutinized by this boar. It really is a six game minefield that you have to navigate.

Yes, Self has lost a lot of games to inferior opponents in the NCAA Tournament. He's also won a lot of tournament games. Nobody talks about the fact that he took an undermanned Kansas team to the title game in 2012.

Villanova is a terrific team. Kansas played them and came up just short. That's the tournament.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
If Kansas fans want Self gone, I would question their sanity.

It's something that's been mentioned here before, but the near unprecedented success of our program tends to distort our perception of other programs and coaches. It's really, really, really, really hard to win a title. Cal and Self are arguably the most successful coaches - save K - of the last decade, and yet they're constantly scrutinized by this boar. It really is a six game minefield that you have to navigate.

Yes, Self has lost a lot of games to inferior opponents in the NCAA Tournament. He's also won a lot of tournament games. Nobody talks about the fact that he took an undermanned Kansas team to the title game in 2012.

Villanova is a terrific team. Kansas played them and came up just short. That's the tournament.

I agree with you, but I'm still going to throw stones when given the chance

it's why God created the WWW dontchaknow

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Self has definitely had his issues, but tonight, and this entire season, was not an example of them.

It's hard to win these damned tournaments.

We forget that because it doesn't seem particularly hard for us to win them....

Reaction Score
It has not been 20 years, so KU has 12 more years before they sniff another title

Reaction Score
oQaNt6K.jpg

Reaction Score
That's not all they are losing.
Yeah, my guess is they lose Selden & Diallo, and Traylor graduates.

Bragg should replace Ellis's minutes, while Svi & Greene take Selden's. They have two four-star bigs coming in, and they're also favorites for 5-star wing Josh Jackson -- a consensus top 3 player in the country.

Run Self out of town!

Reaction Score
The Russian kid who is a top 15 recuit just started getting minutes in the first round of the tournament.
Ukrainian. Not Russian. I know it's not relevant to the thread, but the nationalist sentiment in me won't let you get away with that. As a Ukrainian-American, I really dislike how all Eastern Europeans are referred to as "Russians". Sviatoslav Mykailiuk is a citizen of Ukraine, and plays on their national team. I like many of your posts and agree with most of your opinions, so I won't get mad over it. Just please be politically correct in the future. I know it may not seem like much to you, but as a person with Ukrainian roots it's a really big deal and all about nationalist identity.

Point still remains, Self, with all the talent he's had, should have more than a single title in the years he's been at KU.

Reaction Score
Yeah, my guess is they lose Selden & Diallo, and Traylor graduates.

Bragg should replace Ellis's minutes, while Svi & Greene take Selden's. They have two four-star bigs coming in, and they're also favorites for 5-star wing Josh Jackson -- a consensus top 3 player in the country.

Run Self out of town!
Yup, they will be loaded again. I'm guessing another 1 seed and a second round loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom