Bill Self | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bill Self

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yup, they will be loaded again. I'm guessing another 1 seed and a second round loss.
Since 2004, Self has 9 losses against a lower seeded team. Know who else has the same # in that time? Coach K.

K's got 2 titles to Self's 1, and 3 final four appearances to Self's 2. Self has 6 Elite 8 appearances to K's 4.

Fire them both?

Reaction Score
Ukrainian. Not Russian. I know it's not relevant to the thread, but the nationalist sentiment in me won't let you get away with that. As a Ukrainian-American, I really dislike how all Eastern Europeans are referred to as "Russians". Sviatoslav Mykailiuk is a citizen of Ukraine, and plays on their national team. I like many of your posts and agree with most of your opinions, so I won't get mad over it. Just please be politically correct in the future. I know it may not seem like much to you, but as a person with Ukrainian roots it's a really big deal and all about nationalist sentiment.

Point still remains, Self, with all the talent he's had, should have more than a single title in the years he's been at KU.
Sorry, thought he was Russian but should have looked it up. Kid is a super skilled 6'8 shooting guard who was considered one of the best European prospects in a long time and in two seasons at Kansas he barely gets any run. Sick of seeing talents like him, Cliff Alexander Cheick Diallo, Brannen Greene and Carlton Bragg going to Kansas and just sitting in the bench the whole time. Would love to see what Ollie would do with that kind of talent.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Since 2004, Self has 9 losses against a lower seeded team. Know who else has the same # in that time? Coach K.

K's got 2 titles to Self's 1, and 3 final four appearances to Self's 2. Self has 6 Elite 8 appearances to K's 4.

Fire them both?

Just a little matter of K's 3 other titles...

One thing I don't understand when people quote a 'losses to a lower seed' stat: if you are always a 1 seed, and you don't win the whole thing, you damn near automatically lose to a lower seed. Unless it's chalk, which almost never happens.

Reaction Score

Fire them both?
Coach K had 10 final 4's and 3 National Championships before then.

Reaction Score
Just a little matter of K's 3 other titles...

Personally would not fire Self at all. Replace with who?
I'm just telling you what my Kansas friends think. They are spoiled fans, all the conference championships don't mean much to them when they keep flaming out as a 1 or 2 seed. When you're at a place like Kansas where Naismith, Phogg Allen and Chamberlain came out of you expect a ton. It really chaps their arses that we have more titles, as it should.

Reaction Score
I hope we get another chance at Perry Ellis over the next two or three years, before he declares for the European draft

It's hard to expect him to continue producing into his mid to late thirties.

Reaction Score
People here have been spoiled by a couple of miraculous runs. It's hard to win a national championship.

It's hard to win a national championship, but it shouldn't be this hard to have a little more success with a 2 deep lined with McDonald's all Americans. The number of round 1 and 2 losses as high seeds is alarming.

Reaction Score
Bill Self has won 11 straight Big 12 regular season titles and you're really going to call him out? Just look at the box score and it's clear old man Ellis cost them. Their best and most efficient player had 4 points and 4 turnovers. stupid thread

They did not get him the ball. He called the first play of the 2nd half for Ellis and that was it. That's on the guards and the staff.

Reaction Score
KU is caught between a rock and a hard place. He's a heck of recruiter, wins his conference every year and gets the Jayhawks a high seed year in year out, but his team's flame out against lower seeds just about every year.

He tends to cast a cloud of toxic worry and doom on the sideline.

Nova was ranked #1 late in the season and is a very good team. So what could he have done better? One is tell Selden after he missed his 3rd or 4th 3 that he'd kick his ass to the bench if he took another 3, and told the rest of his team to drive it at Nova's bigs since they had some success and to get Nova's bigs out of the game with 5 fouls by the end of the game. Of course, you'd put Selden right back in there, but you need to send your players a message so that they do what you tell them to do.

His team settled for way to many 3s and committed way to many silly fouls.

So does the blame for all that fall on him or his players? Probably a little bit of both, but the trend goes back many years now puts more of the blame on him. So who do you replace him with?

Reaction Score
I thought KU could be beat with a good game plan and execution. Selden blows. He thought he'd be lottery after his frosh year and now he's barely 2nd round.

Graham was their only real offensive threat, Ellis could be handled.

If UConn had a good college big like Lucas or Ochefu if could have gotten further.

Hopefully Enoch develops, Brimah certainly hasn't

if you can't get an NC with that team, who can you get it with? andrew wiggins?? oh, wait...

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
KU is caught between a rock and a hard place. He's a heck of recruiter, wins his conference every year and gets the Jayhawks a high seed year in year out, but his team's flame out against lower seeds just about every year.

He tends to cast a cloud of toxic worry and doom on the sideline.

Nova was ranked #1 late in the season and is a very good team. So what could he have done better? One is tell Selden after he missed his 3rd or 4th 3 that he'd kick his ass to the bench if he took another 3, and told the rest of his team to drive it at Nova's bigs since they had some success and to get Nova's bigs out of the game with 5 fouls by the end of the game. Of course, you'd put Selden right back in there, but you need to send your players a message so that they do what you tell them to do.

His team settled for way to many 3s and committed way to many silly fouls.

So does the blame for all that fall on him or his players? Probably a little bit of both, but the trend goes back many years now puts more of the blame on him. So who do you replace him with?
is it every year with him he as a player that is ineligible for the season/half season? or has a cloud of controversy around them?

Reaction Score
I thought KU could be beat with a good game plan and execution. Selden blows. He thought he'd be lottery after his frosh year and now he's barely 2nd round.

Graham was their only real offensive threat, Ellis could be handled.

If UConn had a good college big like Lucas or Ochefu if could have gotten further.

Hopefully Enoch develops, Brimah certainly hasn't

Selden doesn't blow he is just inconsistent we should know about that. I'm just glad his uncle with the bling wasn't able to make the Sweet 16 would've gotten sick of watching him. Ellis was finally handled, Nova did a nice job. Yeah, would love either of the names on the font line you bring up, agree.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I respect what Self has done with the regular season even though he has a ton of talent every year compared to the rest of the league. its still not easy to win a conference. The bottom line is to most fans, including 95% of the "march madness only" fans, if you don't win the whole thing you suck. I think I am pretty reasonable when I say if I was in KU's fans shoes I would be embarrassed by their tourney failures. Its harder when you have national championship expectations to flame out prior to the final four. Not going to change. They feel like the Buffalo Bills of the NCAA.

Sorry Buffalo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bill Self has won 11 straight Big 12 regular season titles and you're really going to call him out? Just look at the box score and it's clear old man Ellis cost them. Their best and most efficient player had 4 points and 4 turnovers. stupid thread
Unless a program like Kansas is paying their coach to win conference championships as a goal that line is pure crap
I wouldn't trade one NC for a dozen conference championship
To brag about conference championships at a "blue blood" program with a tournament record based on their seed is weak
Ellis was not good - for sure. But there were things that could have been done to counter the Nova's changing D but Kansas did not look comfortable most of the night. The way they played, they would have lost to many teams - there was not only a lack of passion but also a look of fear to lose in their eyes.
Hats off to Nova but I expected more from Kansas.

Reaction Score
So who do you replace him with?
You don't. Consistently winning titles is super difficult in college. Izzo, Pitino (at Louisville), Calapari have not been able to do it. There were long gaps between Coach K's titles. Wanting more than being dominant in the regular season and making periodic deep runs in the tournament, is not realistic.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Ukrainian. Not Russian. I know it's not relevant to the thread, but the nationalist sentiment in me won't let you get away with that. As a Ukrainian-American, I really dislike how all Eastern Europeans are referred to as "Russians". Sviatoslav Mykailiuk is a citizen of Ukraine, and plays on their national team. I like many of your posts and agree with most of your opinions, so I won't get mad over it. Just please be politically correct in the future. I know it may not seem like much to you, but as a person with Ukrainian roots it's a really big deal and all about nationalist identity.

Point still remains, Self, with all the talent he's had, should have more than a single title in the years he's been at KU.
Shut up commie and eat your turkey and ketchup sandwich.

I kid. I kid. Hope you have a sense of humor.

Reaction Score
Selden doesn't blow he is just inconsistent we should know about that. I'm just glad his uncle with the bling wasn't able to make the Sweet 16 would've gotten sick of watching him. Ellis was finally handled, Nova did a nice job. Yeah, would love either of the names on the font line you bring up, agree.

Selden was the only one with any aggression last night, and he did well in the lane. Scored 15 in the second half. But was way off on 3s all game. He shoots better than 40% from 3 regularly.

Reaction Score
Kansas made 4-5 3's out of the box on us, we were physically overmatched everywhere, but how they lose to Novawith that roster is beyond me. They basically shot the ball like us and were still in the game. Imagine if KO had that talent? Has to be Self.

Reaction Score
Because Nova has some decent bigs that rebound and can score on the low block. UConn had none of that.

Kansas made 4-5 3's out of the box on us, we were physically overmatched everywhere, but how they lose to Novawith that roster is beyond me. They basically shot the ball like us and were still in the game. Imagine if KO had that talent? Has to be Self.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Wonder how things would have turned out for UConn if Brimah played the first half the same way he played the second half. That was the problem for this team all season. They couldn't get two or three guys (doesn't make a difference if it were the same or different players) to play consistently good game after game. The talent was there but they never could put it all together.

There is something wrong with fans to begin with. Living vicariously through someone else's accomplishment is pathetic. Ok. So I admit I'm pathetic. But what's worse is to hold others accountable for our misery when it's obvious we're miserable to begin with. We're nothing more than a bunch of commies dedicated to eating turkey sandwiches with ketchup.

You're always going to get needy people who can never be satisfied unless their neediness is constantly fed. There is an addiction to happiness that is no different than any other addiction. For those of us in this category we're never going to be perfectly and completely satisfied. We're always going to look at the failure of some outside object (team, religion, politics) as the only reason we're miserable. It's never something about us.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wonder how things would have turned out for UConn if Brimah played the first half the same way he played the second half. That was the problem for this team all season. They couldn't get two or three guys (doesn't make a difference if it were the same or different players) to play consistently good game after game. The talent was there but they never could put it all together.

Totally agree. While they didn't have an elite player, they did have the horses. It wasn't because they weren't tough. It was because they were so damn inconsistent. Building big holes, then climbing out of them was their mantra. One night, it was poor shooting, the next it was lack of urgency, the next not getting out on inexplicably hot 3pt shooters, and so on. I still think a lot of this goes back to lacking an experienced lead PG who could take care of the general disorganization.

You're always going to get needy people who can never be satisfied unless their neediness is constantly fed. There is an addiction to happiness that is no different than any other addiction. For those of us in this category we're never going to be perfectly and completely satisfied. We're always going to look at the failure of some outside object (team, religion, politics) as the only reason we're miserable. It's never something about us.

I hate Gary Parrish with a fiery passion (and don't even like to drive traffic to him), but much of this particular article makes sense in the context of what we are talking about:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...ognize-its-no-good-to-stay-one-place-too-long

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Ukrainian. Not Russian. I know it's not relevant to the thread, but the nationalist sentiment in me won't let you get away with that. As a Ukrainian-American, I really dislike how all Eastern Europeans are referred to as "Russians". Sviatoslav Mykailiuk is a citizen of Ukraine, and plays on their national team. I like many of your posts and agree with most of your opinions, so I won't get mad over it. Just please be politically correct in the future. I know it may not seem like much to you, but as a person with Ukrainian roots it's a really big deal and all about nationalist identity

There's a lot of older guys on this forum. This habit is probably a lazy holdover from the USSR days. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

In fairness, countries in Eastern Europe, Middle East, Western Asia, Northern Africa always seem to be splitting (or renaming) into new (or former) countries! Hard to keep up! ;)

Reaction Score
There's a lot of older guys on this forum. This habit is probably a lazy holdover from the USSR days. Not an excuse, just an explanation.

In fairness, countries in Eastern Europe, Middle East, Western Asia, Northern Africa always seem to be splitting (or renaming) into new (or former) countries! Hard to keep up! ;)
What!?!? The Soviet Union broke up! When did that happen? :)

intlzncster

Reaction Score
What!?!? The Soviet Union broke up! When did that happen? :)

Dog, you really need to do something other than follow UCONN basketball. There's a whole world out there. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom