Bilas | The Boneyard

Bilas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gary Apple saying conventional 3-point play on every and-1 drives me nuts.

SNY has the worst crews. Their halftime show is unwatchable.

Reaction Score
Every time someone brings up Bilas, someone else chimes in that he no longer does the prep he used to. Which is true. And he's corny. There's far worst but he used to be one of the best.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Can't complain here, I'm just giddy that we're still found on
TV.

Were probably on major national networks more than ever what are you talking about?

@upstater has outlined it multiple times .

Competition may be worse but for now we're still on ESPN, ESPN2, CBS quite a bit.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Gary Apple saying conventional 3-point play on every and-1 drives me nuts.

SNY has the worst crews. Their halftime show is unwatchable.

At least they know the team and players. I'll take SNY over the old Big East Network -- and the halftime show consisting of a 90-second "Big East Wire," another 90 seconds of "analysis" and 12 minutes of Town Fair Tire ads -- any day of the week.

SNY gives us a full pregame show, a full halftime show and a full postgame show. Sorry you're not impressed by Gary Apple.

Reaction Score
At least they know the team and players. I'll take SNY over the old Big East Network -- and the halftime show consisting of a 90-second "Big East Wire," another 90 seconds of "analysis" and 12 minutes of Town Fair Tire ads -- any day of the week.

SNY gives us a full pregame show, a full halftime show and a full postgame show. Sorry you're not impressed by Gary Apple.
I normally don't mind bad announcing, I even got used to listening to Len Elmore. But Gary Apple is just beyond awful, the only announcer I've heard that's worse was Carlos Pena calling the UConn baseball NCAA tournament games

Reaction Score
Were probably on major national networks more than ever what are you talking about?

@upstater has outlined it multiple times .

Competition may be worse but for now we're still on ESPN, ESPN2, CBS quite a bit.

Eh. Old big east days we were on ESPN weekly, and most importantly on Big Monday and Super Tuesday.

These days you can find us on Thursday nights on CBS Sports Network..

Reaction Score
Eh. Old big east days we were on ESPN weekly, and most importantly on Big Monday and Super Tuesday.

This is just incorrect--as proven many times. UConn is on the major channels, ESPN, ESPN2, CBS (not sports network), Fox (Not Fox sports), between 13-16 times during the regular seasons over the last 3 years, including this year. This is more than all but 5 or 10 schools.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Just wait....later in the season, we have two mid-week afternoon games and a couple of late afternoon Sunday games.

It's disgusting.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Sure, Big Monday but a lot of Big East games vs. the lower teams were on SNY which is a regional network. Now most of our lower level league games are on CBS Sports Network, ESPNU which are national networks.

There are 1,000 things that suck about the AAC but for now at least the TV exposure isn't one of them.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bilas of 6 years ago was great
He is still heads above the other dolts out there - Greenberg, Vitale, Patrick, Welsh, Elmore, ...........
At least jay has some respect for UConn

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of Bilas, I enjoy Walton in small doses(no, not those doses), not a fan of the SNY crew, or Vitale, and especially not a fan of Dan Dakich.

Reaction Score
Every time someone brings up Bilas, someone else chimes in that he no longer does the prep he used to. Which is true. And he's corny. There's far worst but he used to be one of the best.
Bilas does know where The Capital of College Basketball is though.

Reaction Score
In general I like Bilas, but his criticism of the officiating drives me crazy sometimes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Is Dickie "Hot like fire" Simpkins still doing games? The greates color guy outside of Bill Walton.

I know. I love that dude!

Googling tells me he's a Hornets scout right now. That's a bummer (for us). He's also a motivational speaker. Might have to go catch one of those.

Reaction Score

I wonder if Bilas actually does less prep work than he used to or it it just seems that way since he's less familiar with our program now, being assigned to primarily ACC games.

I think he's the type of guy whose insight improves with every game he sees of a particular team. Kind of like Tim Welch, except he's not completely unbearable.

I've definitely criticized Bilas some over the last couple years, but man it's refreshing to hear him on the call rather than what we usually get. He's able to be pointed in his criticism without sounding overbearing like Welsh or to a lesser extent Fran (I like Fran, but I can see why others don't). Sometimes you just listen to Welch and go, "Christ this dude is a miserable human being." You don't get that sense with Jay even though he's probably been more outspoken than anybody about how horrible the current college game is.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Is Dickie "Hot like fire" Simpkins still doing games? The greates color guy outside of Bill Walton.

When all is said and done, Dickey Simpkins was one of the best. He was a goof who made the games more fun! Google says he is a scout for the Charlotte Bobcats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom