OT: - Biggest snubs? | The Boneyard

OT: Biggest snubs?

Reaction Score
This was a very weak bubble this year so the committee had it easier than most years. One of the major things they had to do was cross off Indiana and Texas, which they did. Kudos, those teams even being in the discussion was insane (even TCU). But they still missed a few teams IMO. I thought Furman, UNCG and NC State were really, the only three teams that can really complain. I might be in the minority in feeling that a team should have to finish .500 in conference to qualify, but it would weed out a lot of this TCU, Texas, Indiana, Oklahoma (Oklahoma getting in over UNCG or NCSt is a travesty imo, especially as a 9) riff raff.

IMO I would replace Oklahomas bid with UNCG, replace Oh St with Furman and replace Florida with NC St. I think at that point, the bracket would be much better. Or if they included Florida, maybe give NC St a bid in place of St. Johns.

Nevada as a 7 is also awful, IMO. Deserved higher.

In your opinion, who were the biggest snubs? Were there any this year?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have been alright with any team you mentioned over St Johns (minus Texas, I agree being above .500 is a no brainer). Big east is weak this year imo.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This was a very weak bubble this year so the committee had it easier than most years. One of the major things they had to do was cross off Indiana and Texas, which they did. Kudos, those teams even being in the discussion was insane (even TCU). But they still missed a few teams IMO. I thought Furman, UNCG and NC State were really, the only three teams that can really complain. I might be in the minority in feeling that a team should have to finish .500 in conference to qualify, but it would weed out a lot of this TCU, Texas, Indiana, Oklahoma (Oklahoma getting in over UNCG or NCSt is a travesty imo, especially as a 9) riff raff.

IMO I would replace Oklahomas bid with UNCG, replace Oh St with Furman and replace Florida with NC St. I think at that point, the bracket would be much better. Or if they included Florida, maybe give NC St a bid in place of St. Johns.

I hope you’re right. Florida is a 1.5 favorite over my hometown Nevada Wolf Pack. Praying they are as bad/undeserving as you suggest.

Reaction Score
Allowing LSU to participate when they are clearly in violation is a joke ... any victory they incur will be vacated so what’s the point?

Also, not giving MSU a 1 seed then putting them in Duke’s bracket is simply not right. UNC has the talent to win it all but they were not deserving of a 1 seed; they won neither the regular season nor tournament championship ... MSU won both.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
LSU is not on probation, so there’s no mechanism to prevent them from playing.

There were no snubs this year.

Anyone left out has no argument - usually there’s someone, but this year, nada.

Reaction Score

No, there were. 3 or 4 teams have solid arguments.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

No, there are three or four teams that you think have a solid argument.

Alas, you’re not right.

NC State is complaining the loudest, but with all of those chances, they managed to beat one ACC team that made the tournament all year - and that was a 9 seed, Syracuse. They finished eighth the conference and didn’t beat a single team with a winning conference record other than Syracuse.

That’s nine wins in the ACC when six of them came from sweeping BC, GT and Wake. A seventh came against ND.

No coherent observer would think that’s a winning resume.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Alas, you’re not right.

NC State is complaining the loudest, but with all of those chances, they managed to beat one ACC team that made the tournament all year - and that was a 9 seed, Syracuse. They finished eighth the conference and didn’t beat a single team with a winning conference record other than Syracuse.

That’s nine wins in the ACC when six of them came from sweeping BC, GT and Wake. A seventh came against ND.

In NC State's case, I think 45-24 was a tough one to ignore. But, they certainly have a right to complain being the highest NET ranking (33) left out.

Are your points correct? Sure. But if you're led to believe NET rank matters, then they did their job gaming the system as well as Jamie Dixon ever did with RPI. Which mostly means that NET needs to be tweaked as it's pretty worthless as currently modeled.

My personal pick for worst P5 entry is ASU. Bet the house on Buffalo.

Reaction Score
I would have been alright with any team you mentioned over St Johns (minus Texas, I agree being above .500 is a no brainer). Big east is weak this year imo.
Just like college admissions. The Big East is a legacy league. They’ll always get the tie breaker. To me Louisville and Florida don’t belong. Seriously I don’t care who you play you have to win more than 19-20 games. Arizona State is another legacy admission. They didn’t want a P5 embarrasses by only having 1 bid

Reaction Score

Nevada had one Q1 win all year. 7 was about right.

Reaction Score

Alas, you’re not right.

I think that they only had 4 victories against teams with winning records the entire season. That’s pretty bad. Off the top of my head we had the same # if not more.

Reaction Score
LSU is not on probation, so there’s no mechanism to prevent them from playing.

Completely agree ... the OP asked for opinions so I was just throwing LSU out there. They do have Wade dead to rights though so it’s just a matter of time; particularly since he’s not coaching at UNC or Kansas. Would have been nice to replace them with someone else.

Reaction Score
Good luck getting a flight to Des Moines Iowa. The university gave my son free tickets to the first round, because half of Southwest's fleet is grounded, there are no flights.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You were asked for your opinion - and I respect it
Yes there are 3 or 4 teams that are moaning and groaning and I feel there is some argument that the last four in have plenty of reasons why they shouldn't be in
So with that in mind there could be "snubs"
But this year it is not nearly as clear cut as it has been in the past so the complaining is at the lowest level. There are some mid majors who could have easily replaced the P6 last 4 in
I wont take a narcissistic attitude to say alas, you are wrong!

Reaction Score

Alas, you’re not right.

I think what hurt them even more was their non-league schedule. It was somewhere in the 300s I believe.

You give yourself no margin for error when you schedule like that.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Allowing LSU to participate when they are clearly in violation is a joke ... any victory they incur will be vacated so what’s the point?

Also, not giving MSU a 1 seed then putting them in Duke’s bracket is simply not right. UNC has the talent to win it all but they were not deserving of a 1 seed; they won neither the regular season nor tournament championship ... MSU won both.

I’m thrilled the committee did that.

At least one plague will be guaranteed to be gone by the FF.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
The NET rankings and conference tournaments seemed to be snubbed by the committee.

Idk how anyone can defend St Johns with a net over 70.

Committee might as well have announced the NET is worthless to them with that decision.

Reaction Score
UCF/VCU an absolute no tester for Duke at all in the 2nd round. If Robinson is healthy for Virginia Tech they can be very good and match up ok for round 3.

Ohio St shouldn't be the 8th B10 team but whatever. NC State arguments are awful they weren't good at all. Florida while not deserving with their record may beat Nevada first round. Kansas State a 4 got screwed had a great year, but if the big white kid is still hurt they won't get to 16 he's the key to their run.

Best 1st round games to watch:

Nova/St Mary's
Murray St/Marquette
Seton Hall/Wofford
Auburn/New Mexico St
I hope Yale/LSU is as well as Northeastern/Kansas think both were served with tough match ups and unfortunately that's what the dance is all about.

Reaction Score
Some of the seeding is awful and Duke and Virginia got absolute cakewalks.

The talking heads are all complaining about Dook/M. St being in the same region.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Good luck getting a flight to Des Moines Iowa. The university gave my son free tickets to the first round, because half of Southwest's fleet is grounded, there are no flights.
5% of their fleet is grounded. There will be flights. The Reno airport sent out a great piece to Nevada fans highlighting all the possible routes to Des Moines last night. Not sure where your son is but flights aren’t impossible. And Southwest isn’t the only airline that flies there.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
My issue was they kept talking about the "Power 6" which is totally stupid as its a football designation and not including the AAC as if we're a mid-major conference..

Reaction Score
Some of the seeding is awful and Duke and Virginia got absolute cakewalks.
Are you suggesting that Duke got special treatment? You do know that their first 2 games are not in North Carolina! How much difficulty do you want them to face? After all, they are Duke. You want to treat them like any other team , it seems.

Reaction Score
95% of Southwest's fleet is the older 737 model.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think what hurt them even more was their non-league schedule. It was somewhere in the 300s I believe.

You give yourself no margin for error when you schedule like that.

They were dead last....353.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom