Biggest rivals | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Biggest rivals

Reaction Score
What makes the ND rivalry special for me is suffering through the three losses (out of 14) in 2013 (1 point in Gampel, 3OT in South Bend (by nine), and 2 pts in XL's BE final (before going to AAC)) but redeeming it all in the National Semi-final in New Orleans to end the Irish's season in New Orleans with an 18 point win.

In Calculus-based Physics, the work of friction [ Wf ] is negative most of the time & always negative when motion (converts kinetic energy to heat) is involved. Wf = -μNd of which μniversity of Notre dame was (is) always grating on my nerves (frictional against our women's success) particularly in 2013 before the National Semi-finals.

I teach the "power of story-telling" to my sophomore college-level Physics students by telling them that I am a UCONN WBB fan to put it into context. Also, when on a flat surface [such as a basketball court] the Normal force {N = the perpendicular force supplied by the court to hold the players up from "falling through the court" is substituted by the weight of the object [mg = mass x gravity] which translates the eqn to:

Wf = -μmgd , and when you change the positions of the symbols becomes: Wf = -mμgd, so you can say "you get mugged in the friction zone" just like what happens as the UCONN women drive the lane when playing in South Bend, they get mugged in the paint as the zone defense collapses on the Husky driving the lane. Some fouls get called, but many do not...

Always helpful to have a story to "hold onto" technical details....
Lots of blood from green fingernails.

Reaction Score
South Carolina, Stanford, Notre Dame and Baylor. LSU gets honorable mention and Iowa does because Bueckers and Clark and Fudd are all superstarry good friends.

Reaction Score
For me, the biggest rivals are still Tennessee and Notre Dame. After those two, there really are no rivalries. You all have listed some great programs for rivalries, but I don't see South Carolina as a rival, yet. Same with Stanford. Those two just remind me of teams that we have to play. They don't get my blood pressure up the way ND and Tennessee does.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Please look at the entire history between the teams on Wikipedia.
UConn leads the series 12-7.

Stanford–UConn women's basketball rivalry
Except for the final four a couple of years ago, I believe the last time UConn played Stanford was five years ago, and before that eight years ago. If Tara continued the series than it would be a rivalry, but unless the teams play every year it is not a true rivalry. I'll say it again, SC and Notre Dame. You could add Tennessee if they decide to play us next year, but the biggest is SC because they are always good now and Geno and Dawn have a relationship now. Since we don't know what that relationship is, the games are more intense and bigger in the WCBB scheme of things.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nice argument. Well reasoned and written. Good counter to what seems to be the most prevalent view that "they ain't worthy." hat's off.
Not saying "they ain't worthy", I'm saying they ain't special anymore to me as a long-time UConn fan. They're in the 12-15 after the top programs.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame
South Carolina
What school would you most HATE to lose to?

I would suggest that the answer is Tennessee despite your Post Pat dominance. Therefore, I would SUGGEST that they are still a major rival.

With the same reasoning, Clemson is a major rival to SCar even in wbb despite our 12 straight wins. I will crawl under a rock if I am still alive the next time they beat us. The worm can turn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom