Biggest rivals | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Biggest rivals

Reaction Score
There's some established rivals like ND, Scar, Stanford & Tenn.
Then there's the rivalries based on the popularity of other teams that have some star players that receive extra media attention & hype.
LSU fits into that category & there's even a history where UConn once lost to LSU in an Elite 8 match up in 2007.
In 2008 UConn beat them by 5 in a game played at LSU resulting in a 4-1 all time record betweeen the schools.

I agree that it can go beyond a more traditional long history. This year everyone will be talking about Uconn and LSU quite a bit, and certainly those teams, players, and coaches will get a ton of media attention. That makes them big rivals this year even if a long history has not been established.

So with Kim as the coach I think LSU can be expected to be rivalry that grows for a number of years to join South Carolina, Notre Dame, Tennessee etc.. I think Stanford almost fit that definition but with their conference status I wouldn't be surprised if their program slipped quite a bit.

Reaction Score
I agree that it can go beyond a more traditional long history. This year everyone will be talking about Uconn and LSU quite a bit, and certainly those teams, players, and coaches will get a ton of media attention. That makes them big rivals this year even if a long history has not been established.

So with Kim as the coach I think LSU can be expected to be rivalry that grows for a number of years to join South Carolina, Notre Dame, Tennessee etc.. I think Stanford almost fit that definition but with their conference status I wouldn't be surprised if their program slipped quite a bit.
They’ve gotta play you to be rivals.

Reaction Score
They are old news irrelevant to me an occasional game in the tourney doesn’t make it a rivalry

sun

Reaction Score
IMO there's some anyomosity between Morrow & UConn that could be called bad blood ever since the close game.
That would add some fuel to the fire if the teams ever meet.
No doubt that Morrow will see to it that her BE grudge rubs off on her teammates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Some rivalries come and go, some last forever (Yankees / Red Sux). One thing that will also last forever is whatever sport ND is playing, WBB, MBB, football, etc. I'm rooting for the other team. Sorry ND fans out there (not).

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity (and laziness), I'll ask: What five schools has UConn played the most times in the last 10 years?

I'm guessing that SCar is in that top 5 because we have played 11 times in ten years. Almost certainly the most times of a non-conference opponent. . However, You might have played some conference foes more than 11 times though (but then you were in two different conferences during the past , so maybe not).

15 years? Probably a big east opponent
20 years? ditto
All time ditto

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would go with South Carolina. Funny how it's not Tennessee anymore, that's just another game now no matter how hard they try to make it otherwise.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As a longtime observer and admirer of UConn basketball, as well as the same (plus being an alum and fan) of Notre Dame, I see two teams as being UConn's biggest current rivals:
  • South Carolina
  • Notre Dame

Contrary to some posters, ND is not a "near past" rival: they've only missed one year (202) and have split the last two games. As noted, UConn leads the overall series, 39-14, but that record tightens up to 17-10 since 2010 (or, roughly, since Skylar Diggins and Kayla McBride began a run of guards to South Bend.).
It must be a pretty good rivalry to merit a Wikipedia page!

Since ND hasn't gotten to the Final Four since 2019, S. Carolina and UConn have, deservedly, taken top billing with their matches. Looking forward to games between all three of these teams.

sun

Reaction Score
I would go with South Carolina. Funny how it's not Tennessee anymore, that's just another game now no matter how hard they try to make it otherwise.
Tennessee has the longest active particiption streak for being selected to the NCAAT.
That gives them a notch in their belt that UConn can only try to take away.
The fact that they've held on to that streak for so many years gives them a record of accomplishment that rivals UConn in its own right.
It has become one of those rivalries based on national popularity that creates some extra media attention & hype because they're a storied WCBB program.
It's not as strong of a rivalry as if they were able to beat UConn but IMO it's still a rivalry.
Their fans still have some strong negative emotions towards UConn.
Last time they played Rickea & Edwards got into a tussle on the floor with double intentional fouls called.
Everyone could see the emotions spilling out
The year before that it was #7 Tenn vs. #10 UConn with Evina playing in the game.
The UConn - Tennessee rivalry can't be so easily dismissed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tennessee has the longest active particiption streak for being selected to the NCAAT.
That gives them a notch in their belt that UConn can only try to take away.
The fact that they've held on to that streak for so many years gives them a record of accomplishment that rivals UConn in its own right.
It has become one of those rivalries based on national popularity that creates some extra media attention & hype because they're a storied WCBB program.
It's not as strong of a rivalry as if they were able to beat UConn but IMO it's still a rivalry.
Their fans still have some strong negative emotions towards UConn.
Last time they played Rickea & Edwards got into a tussle on the floor with double intentional fouls called.
Everyone could see the emotions spilling out
The year before that it was #7 Tenn vs. #10 UConn with Evina playing in the game.
The UConn - Tennessee rivalry can't be so easily dismissed.

Nice argument. Well reasoned and written. Good counter to what seems to be the most prevalent view that "they ain't worthy." hat's off.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity (and laziness), I'll ask: What five schools has UConn played the most times in the last 10 years?

I'm guessing that SCar is in that top 5 because we have played 11 times in ten years. Almost certainly the most times of a non-conference opponent. . However, You might have played some conference foes more than 11 times though (but then you were in two different conferences during the past , so maybe not).

15 years? Probably a big east opponent
20 years? ditto
All time ditto

Before and during the Diggins era UConn and NDame played 3 times a year and once played 4 times. The BE has always made sure that the top teams played home and away every year. (Unlike some conferences)
During the Diggins era NDame won six of seven, including three wins in 2013. The streak ended in the FF that season. Since ND moved to the ACC the rivalry has remained but it was created back then.
Playing once a year makes it hard to call SCar/UConn a rivalry. It is the "Big" game of the year outside the FF.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I would say that the Tennessee rivalry doesn't really exist in todays world. Because they went so long without playing each other, most of our present-day fans did not witness the games between the two. Only the older fans who lived through it remember the rivalry, and to most current college fans and players Tennessee is just another team. South Carolina and Notre Dame are the current real rivalries, but because of Dawn and her relationship with Geno, I consider SC our latest and best rival.

Reaction Score
UConn vs ND is 39-14. Vs Rutgers is 34-6. Vs Tennessee is 16-9.
What makes the ND rivalry special for me is suffering through the three losses (out of 14) in 2013 (1 point in Gampel, 3OT in South Bend (by nine), and 2 pts in XL's BE final (before going to AAC)) but redeeming it all in the National Semi-final in New Orleans to end the Irish's season in New Orleans with an 18 point win.

In Calculus-based Physics, the work of friction [ Wf ] is negative most of the time & always negative when motion (converts kinetic energy to heat) is involved. Wf = -μNd of which μniversity of Notre dame was (is) always grating on my nerves (frictional against our women's success) particularly in 2013 before the National Semi-finals.

I teach the "power of story-telling" to my sophomore college-level Physics students by telling them that I am a UCONN WBB fan to put it into context. Also, when on a flat surface [such as a basketball court] the Normal force {N = the perpendicular force supplied by the court to hold the players up from "falling through the court" is substituted by the weight of the object [mg = mass x gravity] which translates the eqn to:

Wf = -μmgd , and when you change the positions of the symbols becomes: Wf = -mμgd, so you can say "you get mugged in the friction zone" just like what happens as the UCONN women drive the lane when playing in South Bend, they get mugged in the paint as the zone defense collapses on the Husky driving the lane. Some fouls get called, but many do not...

Always helpful to have a story to "hold onto" technical details....

Reaction Score
I was hoping that the NCAA would cause the HoF showcase game to be between the two team with active coaches having the most wins in Division I.

That would force Stanford to play UCONN (maybe cause Tara to retire sooner), and would allow Geno to catch up to Tara in wins faster than the past two years. [Geno is 6 wins behind {1180 to Tara's 1186 wins}, but Geno may be able to pass her this year with the Pac-12 being stronger this year - just before it dissolves (imagine that!!!!).

Reaction Score
IMO part of rivalry is recruiting and threatening to become the overall #1 program year-over-year (along with recent head-to-heads>).. SO, I would say 4 teams, not in any order.

South Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford, and LSU.
If you want to add fan hatred and program hatred without getting concerned about threat to win or lose then add Tennessee.

SC is obvious. ND had a recent past of beating us this past year and during the Skylar years and they hate us - I believe many of us hate them too which imo highlights that a rivalry exists. And to add to this, so much hatred exists that we can sometimes read or hear the pettiness and jealousy of Muffett McGraw on full display imo. SO after just losing to them, while the former coach continually snipes either direct or indirect at UCONN imo, along with recruiting rivalries, I don't agree with anyone that believe no rivalry exists between the 2 schools.

And until Tara is gone she is a major threat to win-and-win-and-win etc. The same with Kim Mulkey. Thus anytime these two super coaches are in a power program with their history of success, they are a threat/ a rival to UCONN. Everything from recruiting to getting the next championship. If the coaches are long time rivals of wins-and-losses-and-titles, adn they are also rivals for getting top level recruits - then a rivalry exists.

Reaction Score
What makes the ND rivalry special for me is suffering through the three losses (out of 14) in 2013 (1 point in Gampel, 3OT in South Bend (by nine), and 2 pts in XL's BE final (before going to AAC)) but redeeming it all in the National Semi-final in New Orleans to end the Irish's season in New Orleans with an 18 point win.

In Calculus-based Physics, the work of friction [ Wf ] is negative most of the time & always negative when motion (converts kinetic energy to heat) is involved. Wf = -μNd of which μniversity of Notre dame was (is) always grating on my nerves (frictional against our women's success) particularly in 2013 before the National Semi-finals.

I teach the "power of story-telling" to my sophomore college-level Physics students by telling them that I am a UCONN WBB fan to put it into context. Also, when on a flat surface [such as a basketball court] the Normal force {N = the perpendicular force supplied by the court to hold the players up from "falling through the court" is substituted by the weight of the object [mg = mass x gravity] which translates the eqn to:

Wf = -μmgd , and when you change the positions of the symbols becomes: Wf = -mμgd, so you can say "you get mugged in the friction zone" just like what happens as the UCONN women drive the lane when playing in South Bend, they get mugged in the paint as the zone defense collapses on the Husky driving the lane. Some fouls get called, but many do not...

Always helpful to have a story to "hold onto" technical details....
Yikes!!!!!!!!!

But I agree -- I think?????????????????

Reaction Score
It is also interesting that Geno was 6 wins behind Tara, when Tara earned her 1099th win on Dec 15, 2020 to pass Pat Summitt [1098] for most wins by a coach in NCAA Women's Basketball history. Geno passed Pat in January, 2021 with a 68 pt MoV vs. Butler at Gampel, and then beat Tennessee by 6 in Knoxville in the very next game to get to 1100 wins, and the Freshman Paige Bueckers led in assists in both games. Hopefully, she will be triple-doubles in both the win to pass Coach K, and as the wins to tie Tara (may be more than one) and then to pass Tara (may be more than one, again).

Both are chasing Coach K's 1202 wins, and his record should fall this year, as Geno is 23 away [22 to tie], and Tara just 17 away [16 to tie]...

If Toronto Met is NOT an Exhibition, that 23rd win [for Geno & Co.] could be as early as Feb 4, 2024 vs. St John's in Gampel, or if Toronto [AE's "hometown" game] is an Exhibition, it could be on Feb 7th vs. Seton Hall in the XL center if UCONN is undefeated to that point, and the very next Game would against South Carolina in Columbia, SC on Sunday, 2/11/23 - hopefully both are UNDEFEATED at the start time for the CURRENT rivalry game of the year 2024!

Tara's team would need to lose seven games in the PAC-12 for Geno to get there [Coach K's record] first, as Stanford may not lose until the conference games, unless the injury "bug" has been transferred to the West Coast...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yikes!!!!!!!!!

But I agree -- I think?????????????????
I always enjoy it when an equation of physical significance summaries my animosity without having to resort to using colorful language [#&!*!!! those $@#^%%%!!!!!!].

Having served in the [Nuclear-powered] Navy for many years, I still can use colorful language effectively if required....

Reaction Score
The toughest game that Stanford has before January 1st (nothing on their website beyond 12/31/2023 yet) is Indiana at Maples. I don't think Duke (at Maples) or Gonzaga (at Gonzaga) will catch Stanford on a down game. Therefore, Stanford will most likely be either 13-0 or 12-1 to start Jauary, 2024, and only need four or five wins to be the winningest coach in either men's or women's NCAA history.

However, if Stanford makes an early round exit in the PAC-12, and then again in the NCAA tourney, the Alumni may "help" Tara decide to retire....

Borrowing the "crystal ball" from Carnac for a moment: Then, Geno passes Tara when the Huskies win their 2024 Elite Eight matchup in Albany, NY on March 31, 24 {avoiding the April 1st (foolist date)} to start a new streak of Final Fours, and NC's.....

FINAL ANSWER!!!

Go Huskies! all the way through the FINALS Final Buzzer!!!!

Reaction Score
The toughest game that Stanford has before January 1st (nothing on their website beyond 12/31/2023, yet..) is Indiana at Maples. I don't think Duke (at Maples) or Gonzaga (at Gonzaga) will catch Stanford on a down game. Therefore, Stanford will most likely be either 13-0 or 12-1 to start Jauary, 2024, and only need four or five wins for Tara to be the winningest coach in either men's or women's NCAA history.

However, if Stanford makes an early round exit in the PAC-12, and then again in the NCAA tourney, the Alumni may "help" Tara decide to retire....

Borrowing the "crystal ball" from Carnac for a moment: After Stanford exits in the round of 32, Geno passes Tara when the Huskies win their 2024 Elite Eight matchup in Albany, NY on March 31, 2024 {avoiding the April 1st (foolist date)} to start a new streak of Final Fours, and NC's.....

FINAL ANSWER!!!

Go Huskies! all the way through the FINALS Final Buzzer!!!! Then the UCONN celebration begins in earnest for #12!!!!

Reaction Score
Don't forget Baylor as a recent rival. Geno and Mulkey had some donnybrooks over the past decade. The E8 matchup 2 years ago was a classic.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom