Biggest Freshman Surprises? | The Boneyard

Biggest Freshman Surprises?

Reaction Score
It's obvious that many BYers follow high school player rankings and college projections very closely. So probably you were way less surprised than I was by Alex Karaban last year.

It might just be my declining memory, but I don't remember being as surprised by the success of a freshman since, maybe, Emeka Okafor.

So, just out of curiosity, who do y'all remember as the most surprising freshmen in, say, the past 20 years? And, if you're so inclined, feel free to include any "bad" surprises.

Reaction Score
Clingan might have been the biggest surprise
Karaban was a red shirt freshman who most of us thought would be a sixth man with significant minutes .
The big guy was slated as a project but went to someone who could have gone in the first round this year
That’s unprecedented or at least since Emeka who was not that highly regarded out of HS
Other runner ups
Brimah - unrated to key member of NC team
Hilton Armstrong
Josh Boone
Nadav Henefeld ( not really a freshman)
Christian Vital

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Clingan for sure.

Jeremy Lamb played with a surprising calmness freshman year and I don’t think I ever remember him missing a layup or floater. He also had a knack for getting deflections on defense with his arms.

Jeff Adrien also played well beyond his years. Had no concerns about the torch being passed from Boone to him.

Reaction Score
And for those who have seen these freshman in action who will we be likely surprised by pleasantly by say December?

Reaction Score
Shabazz showed how great he would be way back at the 2010 Maui Invitational.

Conversely, I was kind of disappointed in Drummond’s season. Given the hype, I thought he would be more dominant.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It’s Clingan and Lamb.

I’ve got a great one : Boone. He came out of nowhere and no one thought he’d see anything when we signed Villanueva late. But chuck had to miss a few games early for eligibility mishegoss , and Boone got the start and never looked back all the way to a trophy.

Honorable mention to Bazz.

KEA is not an answer in that he wasn’t a surprise. He was as advertised

Reaction Score
It’s Clingan and Lamb.

I’ve got a great one : Boone. He came out of nowhere and no one thought he’d see anything when we signed Villanueva late. But chuck had to miss a few games early for eligibility mishegoss , and Boone got the start and never looked back all the way to a trophy.

Honorable mention to Bazz.

KEA is not an answer in that he wasn’t a surprise. He was as advertised
Karaban

Reaction Score
Granted the whole team was surprising to a degree, but Scott Burrell was impressive his freshman year. His defense was solid and he accepted his role on a team that relied on Chris Smith, The Dove and Rod Sellers.

Reaction Score
Okafor. Played above his ranking from jump and ended up being a dominant stud who led us to #2.
Good call. Nobody had any clue how good he would be. The fanbase was distraught we didn't get Isaiah Fox or Jamal Sampson.

Okafor went into Arizona as a freshman and had 19 points, 15 rebounds, 9 blocks on 70% fg's getting UConn the win.

Reaction Score
I’ll throw Ben Gordon in. He was fairly highly regarded coming in, but not a top 20 recruit. We knew he’d be pretty good - but he wound up having an absolutely phenomenal freshman season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom