Biggest Freshman Surprises? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Biggest Freshman Surprises?

Reaction Score
I distinctly remember my first impression of each from seeing them in an pre-season game:

Henefeld - This guy can play! He can't be this good, can he?
Okafor- Uhh, you know he gets four years. Players can get better

Yeah pretty close for me too. 100% on Nadav just couldn’t believe this kid has that kind of game and when will it stop?

Emeka not quite the same but after a few games yup was wondering but you could see the huge potential that we read about after they saw him in a Pittsburgh HS all star game.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me, it’s Lamb. Dude is as clutch as it can be possibly asked from a frosh when the win or go home game started. He had a super natural ability to buy a bucket or defense stop when the lead is on the line. If you don’t believe me, watch all the 11 games of 2011 BE and NCAA tournament.
That block on Shelvin Mack at the start of the 2011 NC game messed Butler up. They never got their offense on track.

Reaction Score
That's not the entire story about Caron's recruiting ranking. At that time most of the recruiting sites didn't rank 5th year high school players. The ones that did had Caron in the top 10. See this RSCI ranking which has Caron at #47 because they put 0 in for the sites that didn't tank him. But the 2 in there that did had him in the top 10. He was a very known quantity coming to UConn and he lived up to the top 10 billing.

I'm pretty sure the post you're quoting states that Caron did a 5th year.

Reaction Score
I distinctly remember Caron being considered a top 5 recruit, yet he was ineligible for the rankings due to his prep year at MCI.
Again, the post you're quoting distinctly references His 5th year :)

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the post you're quoting states that Caron did a 5th year.
I'm not sure what the point of this post is but thanks for pointing out I was responding to a post that said he did a 5th year of high school. I knew that and mentioned it.

The point of my post response was to explain that since he did a 5th year of high school he wasn't eligible for being ranked in the 2000 class by some of the websites that did rankings. And I explained that was why he was 47th in the RSCI composite rankings. But the 2 websites on that RSCI composite ranking who did rank him had him in their top 10. So he was obviously a top 10 type of talent going into college, which was why his output exceeded a 47th ranked recruit. So I don't consider him a surprise, even though I agree that he was a great player at UConn.

Not sure why I just spent time explaining that again but hope it makes sense.

Reaction Score
Not sure why I just spent time explaining that again but hope it makes sense.
I agree with this statement. You wasted much of your time. My point was you should just read it between the lines. There could only be one reason that I would even introduce His 5th year as a relevant fact.

Reaction Score
I agree with this statement. You wasted much of your time. My point was you should just read it between the lines. There could only be one reason that I would even introduce His 5th year as a relevant fact.
But you didn't further explain why. I did. But thanks for your efforts. I appreciate it.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Dude what. You made a weak point (“Caron surpassed expectations cause he was ranked just 47“) which was misleading and required clarification.

Reaction Score
Dude what. You made a weak point (“Caron surpassed expectations cause he was ranked just 47“) which was misleading and required clarification.
Glad I'm not the only one who understood that. Not sure why he got his panties all in a bunch just because I made a clarifying post to his post. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that.

Reaction Score
I remember reading somewhere that one of the coaches left Calhoun a post-it note after watching an early pre-season players only practice that said "Emeka, Oh My God". The coaches had no clue he was going to be that good.
George Blaney.

Reaction Score
Been watching basically every game going back to the NIT season in the 1980’s, and I’ll say this:
There have been at least a dozen players in this program who’ve displayed vastly superior skills and stats in their freshman year, but I never saw anyone take over a team with borderline Hall Of Fame NBA talent, imediately become the undisputed floor general from day one, and lead them to a national championship- the first in program history- until Khalid El Amin came along. Never saw a more mature freshman here, ever, and it’s not particularly close.

Reaction Score
Glad I'm not the only one who understood that. Not sure why he got his panties all in a bunch just because I made a clarifying post to his post. I wasn't trying to be rude or anything like that.
The point was simple, as true senior He was ranked 47. Comparing apples and oranges was your profound "clarification"

Reaction Score
You're arguing against yourself, or just massaging the other posters jock strap. I immediately clarify His 5th year upon pointing out His true ranking for senior year against his pears. Would you prefer I preface with that fact, then proceed to state His true ranking of 47?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The point was simple, as true senior He was ranked 47. Comparing apples and oranges was your profound "clarification"
Hakeem Jeffries GIF by GIPHY News

Reaction Score
It has to be Lamb, I don’t recall him ever playing in Maui. In March he played like an all American in March.

Reaction Score
ppl throwing out ray, bazz, lamb….all first round picks. karaban?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
In the summer of 2001, I was a counselor in training at a camp in Vernon and Justin Brown was dating one of the counselors and came to visit one day. 13 yr old me was one of the few people who knew he was aside from being a giant. I asked him if he was going to start the next year and he said “I don’t think so. This freshman Emeka is looking really good.”

No surprise to me:cool:

Edit: walk-on Pete McCann was also a counselor there. JB may have actually been dating his sister? Anyway he was telling kids all summer he played on the team and no one believed him until Brown confirmed

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
ppl throwing out ray, bazz, lamb….all first round picks. karaban?
Karaban’s offense was pretty much what I expected. But his growth on defense from December to April was remarkable

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In the summer of 2001, I was a counselor in training at a camp in Vernon and Justin Brown was dating one of the counselors and came to visit one day. 13 yr old me was one of the few people who knew he was aside from being a giant. I asked him if he was going to start the next year and he said “I don’t think so. This freshman Emeka is looking really good.”

No surprise to me:cool:

Edit: walk-on Pete McCann was also a counselor there. JB may have actually been dating his sister? Anyway he was telling kids all summer he played on the team and no one believed him until Brown confirmed

Newhoca?

Reaction Score
Here’s a happy thought:

Of all UConn recruits, dating back to the class of 2003 (Josh Boone, Marcus Williams), 247sports ranks Rudy Gay the highest (0.9977), followed closely by Stephon Castle (0.9966).

Reaction Score
Shabazz showed how great he would be way back at the 2010 Maui Invitational.

Conversely, I was kind of disappointed in Drummond’s season. Given the hype, I thought he would be more dominant.
Ummm… let us not forget it was just for 1 season… He out played some of the top big men in the game and did just fine for a freshman.

I was disappointed that Drummond didn’t stick around for 1 more year to leave a legacy at UConn.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Ummm… let us not forget it was just for 1 season… He out played some of the top big men in the game and did just fine for a freshman.

I was disappointed that Drummond didn’t stick around for 1 more year to leave a legacy at UConn.
Drummond’s case is pretty weird when you actually think about it.

He came in August/September. He didn’t even go through summer workouts/practices. Then left. Lol

Had very little chance to receive off-season coaching from Calhoun.

Reaction Score
Clingan might have been the biggest surprise
Karaban was a red shirt freshman who most of us thought would be a sixth man with significant minutes .
The big guy was slated as a project but went to someone who could have gone in the first round this year
That’s unprecedented or at least since Emeka who was not that highly regarded out of HS
Other runner ups
Brimah - unrated to key member of NC team
Hilton Armstrong
Josh Boone
Nadav Henefeld ( not really a freshman)
Christian Vital
If you count Henefeld as a freshman, easily him. Next would be Josh Boone.

No one else on that list is close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom