Biggest Choke Job in Sports | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Biggest Choke Job in Sports

Reaction Score
Isiah Thomas turning the ball over on an in bounds pass which would have won Game 5 vs. Celtics in 1987. Bird steals the ball passes to DJ for layup at buzzer. C's win 108-107.

Reaction Score
Virginia losing to a 16 seed last year.... by 20 points has to be #1 all time. Just sayin.
And it wasn't even losing so much as it was being throttled from start to finish, a late flurry in garbage time getting it back down to 20 if I recall correctly. They were totally dominated.

I always imagined the first time a 16 won would be some super close game won on a buzzer beater. Not a blowout like that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
1978 was an epic fail for the Sox.

2004 was not only Yanks up 3-0 but winning the 4th game in the ninth with Mariano on the mound.
1978, 1986, and numerous other whole seasons before, between and especially after kept me from turning on any of 2004 series until after the 7th inning, sometimes later. By then, I just couldn't take it anymore. The World Series was an afterthought robbed of joy that was rightfully mine after 40 years of disappointment.

Years later, a friend gave me a DVD of the championship season; he found it in a Lechmere bargain bin. Approached watching it with trepidation, but it turned out well.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
whitney houston's memorable rendition of the star spangled banner began the game which had the best offense (428 points) battling the best defense (211 points) in a contest featuring 11 hof'ers. played mostly as close as could be, not only was the record set for time of one possession (9:29), but also for game possession (40:33) in the only one where both contestants represented the same state. widely viewed as a 'last possession wins' kinda game, in fact, the team with the last possession drove the ball to the 29 yard line, setting up a 47 yard field goal to win on the final play.
'wide right' entered the popular culture that day as a euphemism for choking. the losers began a record setting run of appearing in 4 consecutive super bowls, yet never again coming as close to winning their first championship as that day when they lost the only one ever decided by 1 point. that game. wide right. epic choke.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
1978, 1986, and numerous other whole seasons before, between and especially after kept me from turning on any of 2004 series until after the 7th inning, sometimes later. By then, I just couldn't take it anymore. The World Series was an afterthought robbed of joy that was rightfully mine after 40 years of disappointment.

Years later, a friend gave me a DVD of the championship season; he found it in a Lechmere bargain bin. Approached watching it with trepidation, but it turned out well.
'lechmere' is a train station on the green line located at lechmere square in cambridge. jes funning witcha. lol. whatsa 'filene's?'

Reaction Score
It's the 04 ALCS and there is nothing even remotely close. It was a century of the Yankees dominating every aspect of the Sox. They blew a series away where they were at one point peak domination and Boston has been their daddy ever since.

Nothing remotely close unless the champagne is already being opened, then a ground ball goes between your first basemans legs put the corks back on. Thats remotely close and could easily be considered more of an apple in the throat.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
'lechmere' is a train station on the green line located at lechmere square in cambridge. jes funning witcha. lol. whatsa 'filene's?'
Half wrong, half right: Lechmere's final store closing was in 1997, so I'm way off. It was probably some Odd Job Lot liquidator.

Reaction Score
Nothing remotely close unless the champagne is already being opened, then a ground ball goes between your first basemans legs put the corks back on. Thats remotely close and could easily be considered more of an apple in the throat.
The game was already tied when that ball went through. The Yankees had a 3-0 lead buddy. Coming off an 11 run stomping. UNHEARD of to blow that series because guess what? It had never happened before. The 86 Sox blew an inning. The 04 Yankees not only blew 4 whole games they blew 86 years of domination. Boston has changed NYs diaper ever since. Cry more.

Reaction Score
Now let's not act like the Bruins didn't blow a 3-0 series lead in the conference finals.

Reaction Score
Now let's not act like the Bruins didn't blow a 3-0 series lead in the conference finals.

They did and also blew a 3-0 lead in game 7 but it was in the conference semi finals.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
whitney houston's memorable rendition of the star spangled banner began the game which had the best offense (428 points) battling the best defense (211 points) in a contest featuring 11 hof'ers. played mostly as close as could be, not only was the record set for time of one possession (9:29), but also for game possession (40:33) in the only one where both contestants represented the same state. widely viewed as a 'last possession wins' kinda game, in fact, the team with the last possession drove the ball to the 29 yard line, setting up a 47 yard field goal to win on the final play.
'wide right' entered the popular culture that day as a euphemism for choking. the losers began a record setting run of appearing in 4 consecutive super bowls, yet never again coming as close to winning their first championship as that day when they lost the only one ever decided by 1 point. that game. wide right. epic choke.

It was a 47-harder. Not even in the top 100.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I find, as a diehard, this one doesn’t bother me as much as losing 2001 to the D-Backs. Yankees ran out of pitching in 2004 in 5,6,7.

D-Backs in 2001 outplayed yanks, but when you have won 4 of 5 World Series, losing with Rivera on the mound still stings.

Agreed with that. 2001 was absolutely devastating as a fan.

That's not to say blowing a 3-0 series lead, the curse, etc. wasn't an all time choke, it was. However when you looked at how tough the teams had played each other the past 10 years or so, once the momentum got going you knew could feel the tide shift after game 5. Going into game 7 I don't think there was a Yankee fan alive who thought they were winning that game.

Reaction Score
The game was already tied when that ball went through. The Yankees had a 3-0 lead buddy. Coming off an 11 run stomping. UNHEARD of to blow that series because guess what? It had never happened before. The 86 Sox blew an inning. The 04 Yankees not only blew 4 whole games they blew 86 years of domination. Boston has changed NYs diaper ever since. Cry more.

If anyone is throwing a baseball choke out there it starts and ends with ‘04.

Reaction Score
So that each team gets a home game.
I’m still not following. Is this during the regular season or a tournament? If a regular-season, to what purpose? If a tournament, have they never heard of a neutral site? Adding up game scores seems silly. If you can’t play a best-of series then do a knockout and be done.

Reaction Score
How about what the Tampa Bay Lightning are doing in the first round this year. 62 win regular season, most wins all-time and down 3-0 in first round. Not over yet, but not looking good. If they don't win at least a few games that is epic choke.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
To be fair gmason beat some very good teams to get to the final four. If I recall MSU, UNC and, I don't remember the third but I think it was another good team. It was a devasting loss but gmason deserves tons of respect, that was a very good team, under rated. They were 27-8 and the few P5 teams they played in the regular season were all close games.
Denham Brown

Reaction Score

You can be such a you must be so much fun for both of your friends. What a joke your answers always are. I am sure we would've never even heard from a loser like you until 2004, head buried in the sand like most now wearing his pink arm band from 2004.

By the way no crying hear dude I've seen a ton of winning in my lfe so get over your dipshot self just a bit.;):rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom