Biggest Choke Job in Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Biggest Choke Job in Sports

Reaction Score
The FF gives it more gravitas for sure, but I think #1 Virginia losing to #16 UMBC is the 1st friggin round is a bigger choke.

That's never happened in the history of the tournament, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't happen again for 30+ years.
Agreed. But we’re just compiling a list. There’s no way that 06 E8 doesn’t belong.

Reaction Score
For my money it's Brazil losing to Uruguay in the 1950 World Cup before 200,000 at Maracana stadium. Brazil scored first and imagine what that sounded like. Uruguay scored the go ahead goal with about 11 minutes left in the game. It was known as the game where the SILENCE WAS DEAFENING. I don't know what the odds were at the time but the feeling was one of overwhelming confidence on the part of Brazil and their fans.

Reaction Score
Not many of you watch soccer I’m sure but PSG blew a 4-0 first leg (match) lead to Barcelona a few years ago. Lost 6-1 on the return leg.
Bayern giving up those two stoppage time goals to Man U that allowed them to win the Treble in 99 was crazy too. That might’ve just been a better comeback than chokejob tho.

Reaction Score
8 seed Golden State with Baron over 1 seed Mavs
Was it 8 seed Denver over 1 seed Seattle in the 90s? I think those were the teams with mutumbo falling to the floor after the clinching game with tears of joy.

Reaction Score
Jean van de Velde at Carnoustie in 1999

Yes. Huge mental choke.

Far-AwayFairways. com - "The 18th hole went into legend however when the Open returned to Carnoustie for the first time again in 1999. Frenchman Jean Van de Velde stood on the 72nd tee with a three shot lead of the Open Championship. As he withdrew a driver from his bag people looked on with incredulity and some audible murmurs of disapproval were clearly heard. He duly hit a wayward shot that went off towards the seventeenth fairway, but it was playable, surely he’d learnt his lesson? Nope!!!. The next club he took was a 2 iron!!! He hit the grandstand and with a wicked bounce found a horrible lie in deep rough. Not to be deterred though he duly turned concern into disaster and chipped into the ‘Barry Burn’ in his attempt to reach the green rather than playing laterally. Assessing his worsening predicament Jean decided the only answer was to go fishing, and began the torturously slow process of theatrically removing his socks and shoes!!! In truth, it was probably this animated act that cost him the Open.

The ball had come to rest on a water shrub. Enough of it was clear of the water to permit a shot. It was this that persuaded him to investigate. Van de Velde later said that the weight of the ball had pushed down on the shrub causing it to dip below the water. No it hadn’t! What he didn’t know was that the burn is tidal. As he continued the ceremonial socks and shoes routine time was ebbing away. The tide was coming in. Had he got straight into the burn and played it, he would in all likelihood have escaped, and been holding the claret jug with wet feet

After much deliberation and surveillance of his stricken ball, he started to take some practise swings. Ultimately common sense prevailed. Contrary to popular folklore Van de Velde didn’t actually try extracting his lie from Davy Jones’s locker and elected to take the penalty drop. His pitch however fared little better and scurried across the putting surface before dribbling into a green-side bunker. He completed a triple-bogey 7 to see him tie and ultimately lose in a play-off to Paul Lawrie. Today his exploits have been cemented into the walls of the Barry Burn by way of a tribute."

Reaction Score
Yes. Huge mental choke.

Far-AwayFairways. com - "The 18th hole went into legend however when the Open returned to Carnoustie for the first time again in 1999. Frenchman Jean Van de Velde stood on the 72nd tee with a three shot lead of the Open Championship. As he withdrew a driver from his bag people looked on with incredulity and some audible murmurs of disapproval were clearly heard. He duly hit a wayward shot that went off towards the seventeenth fairway, but it was playable, surely he’d learnt his lesson? Nope!!!. The next club he took was a 2 iron!!! He hit the grandstand and with a wicked bounce found a horrible lie in deep rough. Not to be deterred though he duly turned concern into disaster and chipped into the ‘Barry Burn’ in his attempt to reach the green rather than playing laterally. Assessing his worsening predicament Jean decided the only answer was to go fishing, and began the torturously slow process of theatrically removing his socks and shoes!!! In truth, it was probably this animated act that cost him the Open.

The ball had come to rest on a water shrub. Enough of it was clear of the water to permit a shot. It was this that persuaded him to investigate. Van de Velde later said that the weight of the ball had pushed down on the shrub causing it to dip below the water. No it hadn’t! What he didn’t know was that the burn is tidal. As he continued the ceremonial socks and shoes routine time was ebbing away. The tide was coming in. Had he got straight into the burn and played it, he would in all likelihood have escaped, and been holding the claret jug with wet feet

After much deliberation and surveillance of his stricken ball, he started to take some practise swings. Ultimately common sense prevailed. Contrary to popular folklore Van de Velde didn’t actually try extracting his lie from Davy Jones’s locker and elected to take the penalty drop. His pitch however fared little better and scurried across the putting surface before dribbling into a green-side bunker. He completed a triple-bogey 7 to see him tie and ultimately lose in a play-off to Paul Lawrie. Today his exploits have been cemented into the walls of the Barry Burn by way of a tribute."
A year or two later he filmed a commercial there where he played the hole with only a putter. He carded a 6. A score that would’ve won him the Open.

Reaction Score
Not a choke, but still bothers me till this day is Beltran going out looking in the NLCS against the Cardinals.

I yelled at that TV for him the swing that bat

i was there. Could here a pin drop in stadium after that.

Reaction Score
John Marinatto sitting on his fat arse, Suzie trying to start a lacrosse program, and Warde Manuel sipping Pina Coladas.

Reaction Score
it’s Jan van de Velde.

It’s not even close.
I haven't thought about that one in years. H*** **** that was bad. I'm not even a golf fan and the name immediately brought back that meltdown.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I haven't thought about that one in years. H*** **** that was bad. I'm not even a golf fan and the name immediately brought back that meltdown.

Call me when one of the other candidates decides to wade into knee deep water.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I rember watching Frank Reich guide the bills to a playoff victory against Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers.

32 point lead early in 3Q for Houston.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure I listened to that game in bed on my Walkman and cried after.
tenor.gif

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
1969 Chicago Cubs fell apart during the last two weeks of the season, allowing the amazin' NY Mets to overtake them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is an anecdote that few people would be interested in - but I was flying into Hartford on the Monday morning of GHO week in 2001 - and Justin Leonard was sitting next to me. I don’t bother famous people in public but I did wish him luck in Cromwell and told him I was rooting for him in that Open playoff.

Reaction Score
It's the 04 ALCS and there is nothing even remotely close. It was a century of the Yankees dominating every aspect of the Sox. They blew a series away where they were at one point peak domination and Boston has been their daddy ever since.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom