Big XII Expansion 2024+ | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Big XII Expansion 2024+

Reaction Score
Things tend to happen right before conferences negotiate for the next media deal. Right now both PAC-12 and the Big East are on deck, so there will be plenty of backroom dealings going on.

It will not surprise me one bit if Fox is in the backroom telling the B12 to grab the 4 corner schools from the PAC-12, and also telling the B12 to grab the best Northeast basketball brands from the Big East in order to get the rest of the Big East on the cheap.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 really wants to go all in on bball, they should just merge with Big East completely and make two divisions where the Big East schools are in the "East Division" and Big 12 are in the "West Division." Have unequal revenue sharing so the football schools make more. Then have conference tourney at MSG which would make for one legendary conference tournament.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 really wants to go all in on bball, they should just merge with Big East completely and make two divisions where the Big East schools are in the "East Division" and Big 12 are in the "West Division." Have unequal revenue sharing so the football schools make more. Then have conference tourney at MSG which would make for one legendary conference tournament.
Except they can do that without all of the filler schools consisting of the Butlers, Providences, DePauls. Etc

Reaction Score
Except they can do that without all of the filler schools consisting of the Butlers, Providences, DePauls. Etc
Good point.

A bball conference where we would play current Big East rivals (Nova, St Johns, maybe Georgetown?), old Big East rivals (Cincy, WVU), and then new teams like Kansas/Baylor would be pretty damn fun. Sign me up

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
As a FBS member, my understanding is UConn (or any other school in FBS) can’t join a conference that sponsors FBS football as basketball only with football in a different league/remaining independent.

If the B12 adds UConn it has to be in either football only or all sports.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
As a FBS member, my understanding is UConn (or any other school in FBS) can’t join a conference that sponsors FBS football as basketball only with football in a different league/remaining independent.

If the B12 adds UConn it has to be in either football only or all sports.
Notre Dame

Reaction Score
It seems like the powers above (fox espn) want as few power leagues as possible..and the big east is starting to make noise with a great season and at the moment 3 teams in the ncca tournament… so I wouldn’t be surprised if they told the big 12 to poach a few big east teams..

GG

Reaction Score
Exactly. If they do this, they will just pick the top schools and schools that help with the NY market.

Reaction Score
No offense to them, they’ve achieved a lot - but to my bitter self, it’s a half baked G5 program getting the call ahead of us. Depressing
I mean just look at their interest in Gonzaga. Instead of inviting the school doing the butt kicking last night, they'd rather pick the school getting its butt kicked. It's also possible none of these rumors are true.

Reaction Score
We don‘t know if we are talking to them or not. The commish is saying coast to coast, so let’s see what happens.

Reaction Score
I mean just look at their interest in Gonzaga. Instead of inviting the school doing the butt kicking last night, they'd rather pick the school getting its butt kicked. It's also possible none of these rumors are true.
Gonzaga makes ZERO sense for the Big 12. I honestly have no idea what Yormak is thinking about on this one. Taking a tiny religious college in Spokane Washington does what exactly for the current members? The Big 12 is already a top basketball conference. Adding another mouth to feed, along with trips to Washington for multiple schools in the South and Midwest helps how? Much like Villanova under Jay Wright, The Zag's current run of success is heavily tied to Mark Few. What happens when he retires? Unlike Nova, The Zags don't have access to a talent rich area to help with a future rebuild. The Zags could potentially fall off the face of the earth in the next 10 years. JMO but the conference should push for Arizona, Colorado, SDSU, and Uconn as full members to get to 16. They would be the hands down top basketball conference and not have to d*** around with partial member nonsense.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Gonzaga makes ZERO sense for the Big 12. I honestly have no idea what Yormak is thinking about on this one. Taking a tiny religious college in Spokane Washington does what exactly for the current members? The Big 12 is already a top basketball conference. Adding another mouth to feed, along with trips to Washington for multiple schools in the South and Midwest helps how? Much like Villanova under Jay Wright, The Zag's current run of success is heavily tied to Mark Few. What happens when he retires? Unlike Nova, The Zags don't have access to a talent rich area to help with a future rebuild. The Zags could potentially fall off the face of the earth in the next 10 years. JMO but the conference should push for Arizona, Colorado, SDSU, and Uconn as full members to get to 16. They would be the hands down top basketball conference and not have to d*** around with partial member nonsense.
I think SDST makes more sense than Zaga for the reasons you cite. And I felt that way before this final four appearance.

Reaction Score
I hope the big 12 takes Zaga…incase the big east is thinking about taking them… I think its a awful move for any conference to take them… I hope the big east gets a good tv contract and we keep all our schools… i love the history we have with them…I don’t think its a good idea to have schools all over the country in the same conference… we just need a place for our football… maybe a tv contract with SNY in the 2 1/2 million range or the aac in the 5 million range

Reaction Score
It is also possible that Yormak is throwing names out there to put pressure on the PAC-12 schools to make decisions. He is telling them B12 will move on to other schools if they can't come forward.

It is shocking UConn isn't mentioned much more since UConn addition is far superior than any of the potential MWC additions.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I will be amazed if any of the second three (ACC/B-12/P-12) add basketball only members. I think that this is in part throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks and in part to get competitor conferences worried about things they normally wouldn't worry about, hoping that it leads to a major mistake in their part.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
It is also possible that Yormak is throwing names out there to put pressure on the PAC-12 schools to make decisions. He is telling them B12 will move on to other schools if they can't come forward.

It is shocking UConn isn't mentioned much more since UConn addition is far superior than any of the potential MWC additions.

Perception is sometimes more accepted than truth. While UConn is improving in football, you are still seen as purely a basketball school in a conference without football. Of course UConn is more worthy that the MWC schools but since those schools are more football centric and Big12 fans are more acclimated to them, they will be perceived by Big12 fans as better adds than you all.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Off
Perception is sometimes more accepted than truth. While UConn is improving in football, you are still seen as purely a basketball school in a conference without football. Of course UConn is more worthy that the MWC schools but since those schools are more football centric and Big12 fans are more acclimated to them, they will be perceived by Big12 fans as better adds than you all.
Off topic, but will the B1G ever be good at basketball again?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom