Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
C'mom Dooley; that's a bit misleading, wouldn't you say? Miami's average 2013 fan attendance was 53,837. To show a single screen shot from a sparsely attended game from some year in the past and label it a "typical Miami crowd" is no more misleading then, oh, I don't know, showing a screen shot of last year's Uconn-Memphis game at the Rent and labeling it a "typical Uconn crowd".

LOLon that average attendance

Reaction Score
LOLon that average attendance

That's what the NCAA data shows. If you are inferring they are padding that number, well, I don't know. But their method of counting attendance is probably no different than any other school.

Reaction Score
That's what the NCAA data shows. If you are inferring they are padding that number, well, I don't know. But their method of counting attendance is probably no different than any other school.

Schools use many different ways to count attendance. Some count tickets sold, some weigh tickets in buckets, others use the turnstile, still others guesstimate like they do with parades, etc.

When you see a school give attendance that drops below season tickets sold, then you know they are not going by tickets sold.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
C'mom Dooley; that's a bit misleading, wouldn't you say? Miami's average 2013 fan attendance was 53,837. To show a single screen shot from a sparsely attended game from some year in the past and label it a "typical Miami crowd" is no more misleading then, oh, I don't know, showing a screen shot of last year's Uconn-Memphis game at the Rent and labeling it a "typical Uconn crowd".

Sure. This particular screenshot was from a particularly poorly attended Miami game. But if you're trying to tell me that Miami typically draws more than a half full stadium at Pro Player, you're nuts. Besides, I was responding to another poster who claimed that south Florida doesn't care about Florida when it was the ONLY game that Miami sold out last year (thanks to a large number of Gator fans).

I realize that I'm a pot calling a kettle black. UCONN's 2013 attendance was woeful in its own right and our attendance dropped under Pasqualoni in the same way that BC's dropped under Spaz. Our only sellout last year was thanks to a large number of Michigan fans coming to the game. But it's also time that Miami gets called out for what it really is. A program that has very good tradition in an absolute AWFUL sports market that can't sell out even when they are good. Nowhere near the same football crazed fanbase of Florida.

Reaction Score
Sure. This particular screenshot was from a particularly poorly attended Miami game. But if you're trying to tell me that Miami typically draws more than a half full stadium at Pro Player, you're nuts. Besides, I was responding to another poster who claimed that south Florida doesn't care about Florida when it was the ONLY game that Miami sold out last year (thanks to a large number of Gator fans).

I realize that I'm a pot calling a kettle black. UCONN's 2013 attendance was woeful in its own right and our attendance dropped under Pasqualoni in the same way that BC's dropped under Spaz. Our only sellout last year was thanks to a large number of Michigan fans coming to the game. But it's also time that Miami gets called out for what it really is. A program that has very good tradition in an absolute AWFUL sports market that can't sell out even when they are good. Nowhere near the same football crazed fanbase of Florida.

One of my kids went to school in Miami so I ended up going to a number of games at Sun Life Stadium over 4 years. You are right in that Miami is certainly not on the level of UF or FSU with regard to fan attendance. Still, for all the games I saw, the stadium was at least half filled....and usually a bit more. Since the stadium holds 75,540, I would estimate that they typically got around 40K or a bit more based on my observations. As I said, not at the UF or FSU level; but, again - as you infer - neither BC nor Uconn fans should be ridiculing them given our own recent fan attendance issues. This is my limited point.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe in terms of alumni etc. I bet out of state FSU is more well known and sells more shirts. I can't even remember seeing a Gator shirt not Tebow related on a casual fan.

Again, no.

UF is a far larger brand.

There's a reason why the SEC declined FSU last year.

Reaction Score
Walk me through this. So Iowa plays Northern Iowa, Hawkeyes owns the rights to this game? But ESPN can choose to pick it up or (likely) pass it on to the BTN?

Now replace that game with Iowa vs Maryland. The game proceeds directly to the BTN? Hence it's "additional?"

Each league is probably slightly different, but yeah generally speaking the non-conference games are separately negotiated. They're still paid out as part of the conference distribution with the rest of the media rights, but they're usually an add-on to the entire package. It should be noted that this isn't always the case as the Big 12's most recent contract stipulated that all home games are part of the package, excluding at least one game for each institution that are retained for the school's own media rights.

Ultimately it results in the same: the network having first refusal rights to air the league inventory, but in a lot of cases, the non-conference games aren't included in the main value of the contract, at least that's how it was as of a few years ago. These new wave of deals may be written differently.

Reaction Score
Schools use many different ways to count attendance. Some count tickets sold, some weigh tickets in buckets, others use the turnstile, still others guesstimate like they do with parades, etc.

When you see a school give attendance that drops below season tickets sold, then you know they are not going by tickets sold.

Yeah there is a lot of wiggle room with attendance since they're allowed to do it based on tickets sold, turnstile or estimates.

The dirty secret is that schools can distribute tickets around campus for free, and still count that in attendance figures if they elect to do so, even though the tickets weren't actually "sold."

Reaction Score
UConn was losing games to Providence while it was winning BE and national championships. Makes me wonder if you'd be on here crowing about PCs great program relative to UConn.

I don't know UConn's history with Providence, but Florida is 4-12 for the last 16 games played against Miami. That is butt kicking by the Hurricanes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't know UConn's history with Providence, but Florida is 4-12 for the last 16 games played against Miami. That is butt kicking by the Hurricanes.

BUT WHO LEADS IN DA DIRECTORZ CUPP?

GATORZ ROOL

Reaction Score
One of my kids went to school in Miami so I ended up going to a number of games at Sun Life Stadium over 4 years. You are right in that Miami is certainly not on the level of UF or FSU with regard to fan attendance. Still, for all the games I saw, the stadium was at least half filled....and usually a bit more. Since the stadium holds 75,540, I would estimate that they typically got around 40K or a bit more based on my observations. As I said, not at the UF or FSU level; but, again - as you infer - neither BC nor Uconn fans should be ridiculing them given our own recent fan attendance issues. This is my limited point.

Miami fans are fickle. If they are winning national championships or ranked in the Top 5, they'll fill the stadium. When Ken Dorsey's teams were going to the national championship, they had no problem selling out the Orange Bowl. When they aren't winning, they have issues selling tickets.

It's the same in basketball. When I was in Miami, the basketball team was bad. I went to games there, and felt sorry for the Miami team. The probably had less than 1000 people there. When Jim Larranaga had them winning the ACC, they sold out the place and had to bring in extra seats so that Lebron James could have a seat.

Reaction Score
BUT WHO LEADS IN DA DIRECTORZ CUPP?

GATORZ ROOL

Florida has a great athletic department, no doubt. So does Georgia and Kentucky. After that, the SEC drops off.

Reaction Score
Miami fans are fickle. If they are winning national championships or ranked in the Top 5, they'll fill the stadium. When Ken Dorsey's teams were going to the national championship, they had no problem selling out the Orange Bowl. When they aren't winning, they have issues selling tickets.

It's the same in basketball. When I was in Miami, the basketball team was bad. I went to games there, and felt sorry for the Miami team. The probably had less than 1000 people there. When Jim Larranaga had them winning the ACC, they sold out the place and had to bring in extra seats so that Lebron James could have a seat.

I can understand this. On a hot September Saturday, with world class beaches nearby, a lot of folks will probably take a pass on the game unless the team is good and/or the game is compelling. Still, the games I attended, they had pretty good crowds.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I can understand this. On a hot September Saturday, with world class beaches nearby, a lot of folks will probably take a pass on the game unless the team is good and/or the game is compelling. Still, the games I attended, they had pretty good crowds.

Miami has a northeastern problem - like New York or Boston, it's simply a pro town.

They can announce 65,000 for someone like Wake, but they're putting maybe 45,000 in the seats. It's just a relatively small school in a town devoted to the Dolphins.

As for basketball, they've never done well - if they average 5,000 per home game, they've had one of their better years. They can't consistently sell out an arena that seats less than 8K.

Reaction Score
One thing the "U" has that most programs don't is an absolute and total ability to create scandal. Guns, hookers, boosters on flights with the team telling the compliance officer to duckk-off. Few places do it any better......

Reaction Score
Miami has a northeastern problem - like New York or Boston, it's simply a pro town.

They can announce 65,000 for someone like Wake, but they're putting maybe 45,000 in the seats. It's just a relatively small school in a town devoted to the Dolphins.

As for basketball, they've never done well - if they average 5,000 per home game, they've had one of their better years. They can't consistently sell out an arena that seats less than 8K.

Fishy, I agree with this. The 45,000 you refer to does seem to be the approximate size of the crowds I saw when I attended the games. Still, for a pro-town with LOTS of distractions, 45,000 is not that bad, IMO.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy, I agree with this. The 45,000 you refer to does seem to be the approximate size of the crowds I saw when I attended the games. Still, for a pro-town with LOTS of distractions, 45,000 is not that bad, IMO.

The basketball attendance has always been shameful - even back in '99 or so when they were legit top-ten team in the Big East, they still struggled to hit 6,000 a night unless one of the northeastern schools brought its snowbirds out for a game. There simply may just not be a market for their hoop program.

But I agree on football - given their size, the Dolphins and that they're not a large public, 45,000 is not bad. I'm sure people see 95,000 at a UF game and wonder why Miami isn't doing better, but that's not a fair comparison.

Reaction Score
This is how Sun Life Stadium looked just before kickoff of Miami's 2012 game against Bethune-Cookman:

656617525.jpg

Miami, by the way, announced this game as an attendance of 39,435.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322592390

Reaction Score
Every other Corn College is in the league now. Why discriminate? And look at North Dakota State. All that oil will propel them further, and they are a perfect rival for Minnesota. They've been winning the FCS football championship every year lately. They probably play hockey too.

Well NDSU has accomplished more as a football team than UVA ever has, so maybe you have something there. That said I would rather The Cavs join The B1G someday just for the gut wrenching discomfort it will cause you.

Reaction Score
Nobody goes to Miami games. In regard to UF and FSU, the Gators have at least 4 times as many fans in Florida. It may not even be that close.

Reaction Score
This is how Sun Life Stadium looked just before kickoff of Miami's 2012 game against Bethune-Cookman:

656617525.jpg

Miami, by the way, announced this game as an attendance of 39,435.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322592390

Your point regarding "announced attendance versus actual attendance" is quite valid. Posting a picture of a game versus B-CU as representative of typical Miami attendance is absurd. All of the Miami attendance issues discussed here are well-documented and long-standing.

Reaction Score
Your point regarding "announced attendance versus actual attendance" is quite valid. Posting a picture of a game versus B-CU as representative of typical Miami attendance is absurd. All of the Miami attendance issues discussed here are well-documented and long-standing.

I believe he was actually attempting to show how attendance exceeded expectations for the B-CU game at Miami. B-CU obviously travels well. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom