Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Big Ten payout in '17/'18....$44.5M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The fact that the BeeOneGee could take Rutgers, which historically is among the very small group of worst performing athletics departments in D1, and Maryland, which fiscally makes the Rutgers athletics department seem like a haven for geniuses, has deluded you into thinking everybody is dying to get BUGged. UVA has a very wealthy and healthy athletics department. That combined with the fact that UVA strongly prefers a conference like the ACC, primarily southern schools with many private schools and some smaller state universities, means the BUG really should turn to KU or settle for 14 or maybe make a play for Buffalo.

Buffalo and UConn would sew up the northeast for the mighty unpronounceable 2nd letter/1st number/7th letter and make it the envy of college football and sports generally.

Ldandy and I have been over this many times. UVA is not Northern, and UVA is not Midwestern. UVA is mid-Atlantic with Southern and Eastern ties. UVA is in the correct conference right now. It is Penn State that is in the wrong conference, and a good number of the Penn State faithful know this and express this. Ldandy thinks it is a small minority. Penn State is Eastern and has traditional rivalries with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Its alumni live up and down the eastern seaboard just like Pittsburgh's do. They do not sprawl the midwest.

I've tried to suggest good candidates for the Big Ten like UConn, Iowa State, and now North Dakota State. But he keeps coming back to my school. We are in a better situation and are not coming. I'd like UConn in the ACC. But if the ACC is too stupid to invite UConn, they should get a Big Ten invite. And many UConn faithful here want that over the ACC anyway.

Reaction Score
Ldandy and I have been over this many times. UVA is not Northern, and UVA is not Midwestern. UVA is mid-Atlantic with Southern and Eastern ties. UVA is in the correct conference right now. It is Penn State that is in the wrong conference, and a good number of the Penn State faithful know this and express this. Ldandy thinks it is a small minority. Penn State is Eastern and has traditional rivalries with Pittsburgh and Syracuse. Its alumni live up and down the eastern seaboard just like Pittsburgh's do. They do not sprawl the midwest.

I've tried to suggest good candidates for the Big Ten like UConn, Iowa State, and now North Dakota State. But he keeps coming back to my school. We are in a better situation and are not coming. I'd like UConn in the ACC. But if the ACC is too stupid to invite UConn, they should get a Big Ten invite. And many UConn faithful here want that over the ACC anyway.

Better situation? Laugh.

You do realize that your former ACC rival will be doubling up on you in conference revenue within the next five years, right?

Reaction Score
Better situation? Laugh.

You do realize that your former ACC rival will be doubling up on you in conference revenue within the next five years, right?

The buggers will make more but it won't be twice more. That news was for pr purposes.

As WE the fans will probably never touch a dime of those millions (and somehow more athletic success results in HIGHER tuition prices) it's quite rational to prefer our alma mater take athletic success over financial gain.

Reaction Score
UCONN is welcome, and then we'll wait for UVA thanks. Shouldn't be too long.

Reaction Score

There is no Eastern conference. PSU has strong ties to Rutgers and Maryland and they are in the B1G. In 1988, Paterno said he went back to the BE "with Maryland in his pocket" and wanted to join but was rebuffed.

Reaction Score
Better situation? Laugh.

I'm not the least bit convinced of this. It will take 7 years for the new Big Ten teams to buy into equal share. And from what I see, the gap is exaggerated especially if the ACC launches a network. What I do know is that both the football coaches at Virginia and at Virginia Tech are literally giddy over the gift that Maryland has given them on the recruiting trail with high school talent in Virginia and the DC areas of Maryland. I've heard both Mike London and Frank Beamer discuss it publicly. The opportunity to play against Penn State, Michigan, and Ohio State is attractive along with Nebraska. It's easily countered with Notre Dame, Florida State, Miami, and Clemson. And then there are the rest of these games on the other side of the moon for those kids and families to think about.

I'm not worried about Maryland having any advantage at all. In fact, I expect them to dwindle in that Big Ten East division.

Reaction Score
There is no Eastern conference. PSU has strong ties to Rutgers and Maryland and they are in the B1G. In 1988, Paterno said he went back to the BE "with Maryland in his pocket" and wanted to join but was rebuffed.
In football at least Penn State has played 94 football games against Pittsburgh and 69 football games against Syracuse. Pitt has won 42 of those games and Syracuse 23. Now compare that to 37 games against Maryland with Maryland only winning 1 game over 50 years ago, and then against a rivalry with Rutgers where Rutgers has won 2 games out of 24 games. One of the Rutgers wins is from 1918. Most around now missed that one.

Upstater I don't think it will be difficult for you to analyse this comparison to find the actual strong rivalries. I could be wrong, but doubt it. There is some history with the new Big Ten additions yes. It's doormat. Penn State has history with Temple too. At least Temple has won 3 games. Maybe lopsided rivalries is what Penn State wants. That's boring to me, but to each his own.

There is a conference that incorporates the entire East Coast. No there isn't a P5 northeastern conference, but there is an eastern one. It is not the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
I agree. It really is understandable that Miami fans would have little to no interest in watching a game against Boston College University. It's about as exciting as watching a game against a SWAC team.

Yes, because Miami fans have never seen an exciting game between these two teams. Ever! No iconic last second Hail Mary's to win a game. No 100 yard interceptions on the last play to seal a game. Nope. Just boring football!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What you say has a ton of merit, but it's not just this board. It''s about every board and every fanbase. Heck, it isn't just limited to athletics... there is a snobby culture out there where people thump their chests about the perception of their university because of what ultimately centers around how selective the admissions are.

I will never understand why sports fans feel the need to worry so much about academic ranking(s) but I also don't understand why so much debate is spent on the subjective rankings in any capacity.
Whatever it takes to feel better about themselves. Worshiping their own schools.

Reaction Score
Yes, because Miami fans have never seen an exciting game between these two teams. Ever! No iconic last second Hail Mary's to win a game. No 100 yard interceptions on the last play to seal a game. Nope. Just boring football!

I'm not talking about things that happened when Herbert Hoover was President.

Reaction Score
In football at least Penn State has played 94 football games against Pittsburgh and 69 football games against Syracuse. Pitt has won 42 of those games and Syracuse 23. Now compare that to 37 games against Maryland with Maryland only winning 1 game over 50 years ago, and then against a rivalry with Rutgers where Rutgers has won 2 games out of 24 games. One of the Rutgers wins is from 1918. Most around now missed that one.

Upstater I don't think it will be difficult for you to analyse this comparison to find the actual strong rivalries. I could be wrong, but doubt it. There is some history with the new Big Ten additions yes. It's doormat. Penn State has history with Temple too. At least Temple has won 3 games. Maybe lopsided rivalries is what Penn State wants. That's boring to me, but to each his own.

There is a conference that incorporates the entire East Coast. No there isn't a P5 northeastern conference, but there is an eastern one. It is not the Big Ten.

Since going to the B10, PSU has regularly scheduled games against Rutgers. Maryland has always had a relationship because of the closeness of the schools and the recruiting territories are shared. The Pitt series will always be special for many older PSU fans but because Pitt insists on a yearly series, it can't happen. The Syracuse games are so far in the past and not at all appealing to PSU fans because of how that series ended with PSU dominating. You assume that PSU has closer ties to the ACC but that's absolutely wrong. Most PSU fans would be livid at giving up the games against Michigan and Ohio St. especially, but also Nebraska.

Reaction Score
The BUG is the French Army of college football and should be swatted at every opportunity.

And exactly what is ND? An over-rated FB school with marginal olympic sports? Its best days are in the rearview mirror and the nostalgia is wearing thin. It's been 26 years and counting since ND was relevant... ND survives and prospers now until the memories fade and the vestiges of greatness melt in the cauldron of mediocrity.

Reaction Score
And exactly what is ND? An over-rated FB school with marginal olympic sports? Its best days are in the rearview mirror and the nostalgia is wearing thin. It's been 26 years and counting since ND was relevant... ND survives and prospers now until the memories fade and the vestiges of greatness melt in the cauldron of mediocrity.

I think ND can sustain it for much, much longer. 5 ACC games? ND just kept its semblance of relevance by watering down its schedule.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about things that happened when Herbert Hoover was President.

Yes, of course! There are probably are no Miami fans still around from the days of the President Hoover era - you know, 1984 and 2001 - that might remember those games. Funny how I kept running into them whenever I attended a Miami game.

Reaction Score
Yes, of course! There are probably are no Miami fans still around from the days of the President Hoover era - you know, 1984 and 2001 - that might remember those games. Funny how I kept running into them whenever I attended a Miami game.

Were they dressed as orange seats?

Reaction Score

Metaphail. (aside, you haven't watched sports in 3 years?) The French Army was supposed to win. They had greater numbers, a lot of supplies, equipment and HFA, but they never could get it done against the big boys. That's Ohio State/Michigan.

Notre Dame ironically is the British Navy. Globetrotting far from home and winning despite being undermanned. We also have a crass ally in the US(c)

Reaction Score
Since going to the B10, PSU has regularly scheduled games against Rutgers. Maryland has always had a relationship because of the closeness of the schools and the recruiting territories are shared. The Pitt series will always be special for many older PSU fans but because Pitt insists on a yearly series, it can't happen. The Syracuse games are so far in the past and not at all appealing to PSU fans because of how that series ended with PSU dominating. You assume that PSU has closer ties to the ACC but that's absolutely wrong. Most PSU fans would be livid at giving up the games against Michigan and Ohio St. especially, but also Nebraska.

Well if Penn State is that attached to the midwestern games, they belong in the midwestern league. It's not apparent that the midwestern schools reciprocate in the excitement to play Penn State. Maybe they do. Now they are going to get a dose of playing Maryland and Rutgers often due to Penn State pushing for eastern teams. It will be interesting to see how much Michigan and Ohio State like using up spots on their schedules for those games and dropping traditional Big Ten games.

Reaction Score
Well if Penn State is that attached to the midwestern games, they belong in the midwestern league. It's not apparent that the midwestern schools reciprocate in the excitement to play Penn State. Maybe they do. Now they are going to get a dose of playing Maryland and Rutgers often due to Penn State pushing for eastern teams. It will be interesting to see how much Michigan and Ohio State like using up spots on their schedules for those games and dropping traditional Big Ten games.

PSU pushed for no one. PSU didn't even have a president, athletic director, or coach who could push for such things. Are you seriously asking if 100,000+ fans gathering each year in Columbus, Ann Arbor, State College and Lincoln compares to playing Syracuse and Pittsburgh?

It's mind boggling to me that you would be surprised that PSU fans would favor playing B1G teams. These are rivalry games already even if they aren't main rivalries. They blow away the prospect of playing BC, Pitt and Syracuse. It's not even close.

And the Big Ten schools will maintain their rivalries. While there is a little bit of charm in PSU playing Iowa and Wisconsin, for the most part it really doesn't matter if PSU plays Maryland or Minnesota, Rutgers or Purdue. No one will really care about the difference between the two. If anything, the PSU people in Philly will appreciate the short drive to East Brunswick and College Park.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
How many 7+ page threads are there on this board where a bunch of posters from other schools hijack the thread to tell us about how much better shape financially their program is than ours?

For those of you that are curious, WE GET IT!!!

Reaction Score
Metaphail. (aside, you haven't watched sports in 3 years?) The French Army was supposed to win. They had greater numbers, a lot of supplies, equipment and HFA, but they never could get it done against the big boys. That's Ohio State/Michigan.

Notre Dame ironically is the British Navy. Globetrotting far from home and winning despite being undermanned. We also have a crass ally in the US(c)

That's the point - but you wouldn't understand that. The Navy reference? Just play FSU every year, not the American Naval Academy. Soon enough ND will have to run the gauntlet every year to amount to anything. We'll see, but I think I know. Being constrained by the limits of a burdensome parochial experience and pedestrian intellect must wear you down NDJ.

Reaction Score
The ethnic Catholic culture that reveled in the ND accomplishments.,particularly in the cities , has integrated into modern suburbia.. As with all integration a sense of a particular culture goes with it. It's this "us and them ",that creates a cultic following.
In emerging Catholic culture, Different than the ethnic culture of our fathers, ND is as an anachronism. It's time has come and gone.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Who is "we"? You are a message board poster. You haven't accomplished anything to justify this level of arrogance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom