Big Ten, parents, players, revolt. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big Ten, parents, players, revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

>>In making its decision, Stanley said the conference relied on a report prepared for the Big Ten that raised issues about the availability of rapid-response testing, the number of positive cases among athletes throughout the conference and the potential after-effects for those who contract COVID-19.

Stanley, a medical doctor with a background in infectious diseases, said little has been published on the latter topic but said the information available creates cause for concern.

“There’s not a lot published on that, but there were preliminary things that have been talked about that may be of concern,” Stanley said. “In the absence of clear, scientific published data, I think those things we were concerned about, but they weren’t the only thing we were concerned about, but we really weighed every factor we could and came to the conclusion that it made more sense to not try and proceed forward at this time.”<<

>>Stanley said that while school presidents considered input from a variety of stakeholders, they ultimately reserved the decision for themselves.“Ultimately that was always our decision to make,” Stanley said. “That’s a fundamental tenet of the Big Ten.”<<

Reaction Score
you lost me at flu
If the idea is to stop all infections because it’s imperative to protect lives, and you can’t put people together on a football field, then you can’t put 5,000 on campus. Even further, you don’t hold basketball practice with 10 on a court. It is wholly infuriating how “experts” and leaders largely make up their own rules and assessments. There is not a shred of evidence to suggest healthy 18-25 year olds are at heightened risk of anything serious.
Well you are just wrong about 18-25 year olds not being at risk and further they are One of the groups least likely to abide By social distancing and mask rules. And they can pass it on to others.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and how many of those 1200+ were college students? Old people get sick and die, it's a fact of life. Cancer, heart issues, organ failure, Alzheimer's, the flu, strokes, pneumonia, and many other age contributing factors. Covid 19 is a garden party compared to what happened in 1918. I'd be interested in knowing how many of those 1200+ in Stamford and Greenwich Hospitals were smokers or former smokers.

Actor Corey Glover said it best in the film "Platoon".
Several things about the comparison with the 1918 flu are sort of like comparing apples and oranges. Most significantly, medicine has advanced dramatically in the past 100 years. And a contributing factor then was that the Goverment downplayed its impact to protect the war effort. And while it is a fact that people get old and die, at the height of the outbreak in Connecticut twice as many folks died than was typical in the same time period. So it isn’t like there wasn’t an impact. In California the death rate for 18-30 is about 1.4% per cal dept of health. Per the CDC, nationally deaths are between 19-23% higher Per week since Covid than would be expected in normal conditions. It is now the 3rd leading cause of death and it has only been around for 6 months.

Reaction Score
There should be no football until a vaccine. People just need to suck it up. If I'm a high draft pick, there's no way I'd risk it - see Eduardo Rodriquez as your first exhibit.
How about other sports?

Reaction Score

tl;dr version: >>We thoroughly understand and deeply value what sports mean to our student-athletes, their families, our coaches and our fans. The vote by the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors (COP/C) was overwhelmingly in support of postponing fall sports and will not be revisited.<<

Reaction Score
Well you are just wrong about 18-25 year olds not being at risk and further they are One of the groups least likely to abide By social distancing and mask rules. And they can pass it on to others.
Good Lord, just go read the available statistics on mortality and hospitalizations by age groups. All there at the CDC.

Reaction Score
Nah, this blowback isn’t about transparency. It’s about mommies and daddies and fannies who live vicariously through these kids. They would have complained no matter what

Reaction Score
Up here in MA fall high school sports are being played with the exception of football and cheerleading. But soccer, girls volleyball, field hockey, etc will be played. Football will be part of a floating season where it could be played in February running into April. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when one kid gets corona in one of the fall sports. Does everything shut down? Does one kid just stop playing for a month?

Reaction Score
Several things about the comparison with the 1918 flu are sort of like comparing apples and oranges. Most significantly, medicine has advanced dramatically in the past 100 years. And a contributing factor then was that the Goverment downplayed its impact to protect the war effort. And while it is a fact that people get old and die, at the height of the outbreak in Connecticut twice as many folks died than was typical in the same time period. So it isn’t like there wasn’t an impact. In California the death rate for 18-30 is about 1.4% per cal dept of health. Per the CDC, nationally deaths are between 19-23% higher Per week since Covid than would be expected in normal conditions. It is now the 3rd leading cause of death and it has only been around for 6 months.
Well actually you are talking apples and oranges when you say that medicine has advanced dramatically in the 100 years since 1918, which of course is true but only in certain areas. You try to apply that to your argument on 1918 vs 2020 with respect to antiviral therapy. Antiviral drugs are in their infancy, all they can do now is reduce a viruses ability to multiply in it's host, they absolutely cannot and do not destroy the target pathogen as antibiotic drugs do nowadays. Drugs to kill bacterial diseases like the plague, diptheria, cholera, typhoid fever, tuberculosis, syphilis, anthrax, scarlet fever, bacterial pneumonia, and strep infections are in every drug store. These diseases once killed millions every year, now they are distant memories. Antibiotic therapy has advanced tremendously in 100 years while destroying a virus in it's host by taking a pill is still a dream. I mean a cure for the common cold is still unattainable because killing a virus like it's a bacterial infection isn't possible even after 100 years. The 1918 Spanish Flu was a terrible disease that didn't just kill the elderly and the infirm, it killed young and healthy people just as quickly. The total death toll was 50 to 75 million, and it infected one third of the earths population. One thing you never touched on is that people who smoke are much more likely to get deathly ill from this virus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Up here in MA fall high school sports are being played with the exception of football and cheerleading. But soccer, girls volleyball, field hockey, etc will be played. Football will be part of a floating season where it could be played in February running into April. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when one kid gets corona in one of the fall sports. Does everything shut down? Does one kid just stop playing for a month?
I live in Mass, and many sports have been playing this summer like baseball and golf without problems. There have been some COVID scares, but I thought they were handled well. For example, 2 kids on a team were exposed to COVID and they were not allowed to play for their team, were tested, and quarantined for 14 days even though they tested negative. Then they rejoined the team.

I think the understanding about what to do about COVID, the ability to get tested, and the acceptance of quarantines have greatly improved, although not perfect. Personally, I think handling high school sports is much easier than college sports as the problem with college sports is that kids live together in close quarters and are going to socialize.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I live in Mass, and many sports have been playing this summer like baseball and golf without problems. There have been some COVID scares, but I thought they were handled well. For example, 2 kids on a team were exposed to COVID and they were not allowed to play for their team, were tested, and quarantined for 14 days even though they tested negative. Then they rejoined the team.

I think the understanding about what to do about COVID, the ability to get tested, and the acceptance of quarantines have greatly improved, although not perfect. Personally, I think handling high school sports is much easier than college sports as the problem with college sports is that kids live together in close quarters and are going to socialize.
I’m shocked how much little league baseball has been going on and so far so good... glad it’s happening.

Since HS doesn’t involve interstate travel, millions in planning overhead, eligibility concerns, school status management (does it matter if Westport cancels three games in a fall season? No) it does seem like there is some merit to trying to have fall HS sports in CT. Try with the understanding the plug could be pulled.

Reaction Score
Nah, this blowback isn’t about transparency. It’s about mommies and daddies and fannies who live vicariously through these kids. They would have complained no matter what
So said a UConn college sports fan. No wonder they hate us.

Reaction Score
Everyone has been playing sports this summer.
A lot of the focus has been on sports, but activities like chorus, band, and drama are probably much higher risk for COVID spread. It seems high schools will cancel all extracurricular activities even though they are crucial to the education of kids.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I’m shocked how much little league baseball has been going on and so far so good... glad it’s happening.

Since HS doesn’t involve interstate travel, millions in planning overhead, eligibility concerns, school status management (does it matter if Westport cancels three games in a fall season? No) it does seem like there is some merit to trying to have fall HS sports in CT. Try with the understanding the plug could be pulled.
The problem is that the CIAC is moving forward against the DPH recommendation. It blows the whole farce of "cohorts" on school's out of the water. So these kids that are supposed to be kept somewhat in a bubble are now being allowed to play across the state. It makes contact tracing even harder than it already is in terms of school. It's a hard situation to be in, especially since all of these fall sports have been played over the summer with little to no problems, except football. It's a tough spot that could accelerate spread around the state if football becomes a superspreader. However, like this whole disease, no one fully knows....

Reaction Score
B1G parental protestors had little chance of changing anything, but it's interesting neither they nor sports media pounced on SEC-father and B1G commissioner Kevin Warren allowing his son to potentially play with MSU this fall. Tight End, Mississippi State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom