Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Big Ten Conference Season Tip -off. Who's #1?

Reaction Score
Minny travels to East Lansing to take on Michigan State tonight. The Spartans are looking to move up the standings and continue their winning streak. Minnesota is on a three-game losing streak which might continue tonight.
Didn't see the game but the score indicates your instincts were right. Losing Braun has had significant impact on the Gophers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I was gonna say that the last couple of times I saw Maryland, their rebounding was subpar. I was wondering if Brenda’s mantra had changed. Then I tuned in to the UMD-Rutgers game a bit ago, and within about two minutes the Terps had six offensive rebounds. There may be some joy in Mudville.

Reaction Score
Ohio State's looking more and more like the best of the Big Ten, crushing Nebraska tonight. Jacy Sheldon might not be a first-team All-American, but I'd love to have her on my team!

It should be interesting to see if Iowa can stay with the Buckeyes when they meet March 3 in Iowa City.

Reaction Score
Ohio State seems to be hitting another gear based on their last few games. Not saying this game won't be close or that Iowa can't win, but it wouldn't surprise me if Ohio State won by a larger margin the next time either.
Ohio State is a great team to be sure. I didn't watch their game vs Nebraska last night, but I did look at the box score: Nebraska had 30 turnovers! I'm guessing the Buckeyes were pressing; in their game against Iowa they took it off because it was ineffective. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Iowa in Iowa City that last game of the season, but I'm not looking for any kind of easy win.

Reaction Score
Ohio State is a great team to be sure. I didn't watch their game vs Nebraska last night, but I did look at the box score: Nebraska had 30 turnovers! I'm guessing the Buckeyes were pressing; in their game against Iowa they took it off because it was ineffective. I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Iowa in Iowa City that last game of the season, but I'm not looking for any kind of easy win.
Ohio State has been impressive since their loss to Michigan. I was surprised that Michigan won that game. Yep. Ohio State was pressing. It is going to be interesting see the final few games of the Big Ten regular season.

Reaction Score
Ohio State controls its own destiny for a share of the Big Ten, which is a good thing because there are few situations I’d want to be in less than playing Iowa on the road, in the final regular season game of Clark’s career, with a conference title on the line.

Reaction Score
Ohio State controls its own destiny for a share of the Big Ten, which is a good thing because there are few situations I’d want to be in less than playing Iowa on the road, in the final regular season game of Clark’s career, with a conference title on the line.
Ohio State and Stanford might be the best teams in their leagues, but the league offices in both cases gave them the easier path to the conference championship. OSU playing IU only once, at home, is a huge break vis-a-vis both Iowa, who plays IU and OSU twice, and IU, who had to go to Columbus. And Stanford, getting single plays with the currently 3rd-6th teams in the league, Colorado, USC, UCLA, & Utah, and double plays with teams 7-12, is a real break as well.

Reaction Score
Ohio State and Stanford might be the best teams in their leagues, but the league offices in both cases gave them the easier path to the conference championship. OSU playing IU only once, at home, is a huge break vis-a-vis both Iowa, who plays IU and OSU twice, and IU, who had to go to Columbus. And Stanford, getting single plays with the currently 3rd-6th teams in the league, Colorado, USC, UCLA, & Utah, and double plays with teams 7-12, is a real break as well.
Oh, so it’s not just an SEC conspiracy?

My Lawd, it’s HUGE!

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, since I have not gone back to check on the schedules over the past few years, but I would be surprised if Stanford was given a "walk in the park" to the Pac-12 tournament over the past 5 years. If its path was favorable this year, perhaps that was just the "luck of the draw" this year. Feel free to rebut with the schedules from the recent seasons, since I did not go back to check and am relying on general impression, versus actual statistics.

Reaction Score
Re Ohio State, that was a big head scratcher to me. Had assumed it was a given considering how both teams performed last season.

Reaction Score
Re Ohio State, that was a big head scratcher to me. Had assumed it was a given considering how both teams performed last season.
The BIG schedule makers predicted a top tier of OSU, Iowa, IU and Maryland, rather than a top tier of OSU, Iowa, & IU. With a 4-team top tier, you play 5 games (2 double plays, 1 single play) against the other top tier members. With a 3-team top tier, you would play double plays against both of the other top tier members. It wasn't bias to predict a top tier with Maryland in it, but it was a reasonably foreseeable (not obvious) bad prediction. A lot of BIG fans were predicting pre-season that this was finally the year Maryland was not elite, by BIG standards.

Reaction Score
The BIG schedule makers predicted a top tier of OSU, Iowa, IU and Maryland, rather than a top tier of OSU, Iowa, & IU. With a 4-team top tier, you play 5 games (2 double plays, 1 single play) against the other top tier members. With a 3-team top tier, you would play double plays against both of the other top tier members. It wasn't bias to predict a top tier with Maryland in it, but it was a reasonably foreseeable (not obvious) bad prediction. A lot of BIG fans were predicting pre-season that this was finally the year Maryland was not elite, by BIG standards.
I get that, but considering how these teams battled last season, having a home and home between OSU and Indiana seemed like a better match up for viewing to me.

Reaction Score
Michigan State grinds out a win and gets the in-state rivalry sweep today.

Maryland beats Penn State by 15. Have they righted the ship to try to keep themselves in consideration for the tournament?

In contrast, Penn State has now lost 5 in a row, after being on 6 game winning streak. What's happened? I know they lost a player for the season, but with everyone else on the roster, I thought they would figure things out.

Reaction Score
Michigan State grinds out a win and gets the in-state rivalry sweep today.

Maryland beats Penn State by 15. Have they righted the ship to try to keep themselves in consideration for the tournament?

In contrast, Penn State has now lost 5 in a row, after being on 6 game winning streak. What's happened? I know they lost a player for the season, but with everyone else on the roster, I thought they would figure things out.
If the Terps win the Rutgers and Wisconsin games at home, they're in the tournament. Currently their SOS is 3rd in the country.

PSU has an issue with turnovers. They commit way too many. But their personnel is solid.

Reaction Score
If the Terps win the Rutgers and Wisconsin games at home, they're in the tournament. Currently their SOS is 3rd in the country.

PSU has an issue with turnovers. They commit way too many. But their personnel is solid.
Very surprised by that. Would not have thought PSU was that turnover prone.

Reaction Score
Pretty much. Ohio controls their destiny. Four games left between Ohio State, Iowa, and Indiana, who just happens to be in the mix. But I agree, Ohio State controls their destiny.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Uh oh Indiana. I've never really bought into this team all year. Do they have a signature win? Tennessee...nah. Princeton? They are 4-0 against Michigan, Michigan St., Nebraska and Maryland, but they've lost all the really big games on their schedule.

If this holds it will help Illinois a lot more than it hurts Indiana, but I wonder about their seeding for the NCAA Tourney. Despite the record, I'm not really sure they've earned a top 4 seed.

Reaction Score
Uh oh Indiana. I've never really bought into this team all year. Do they have a signature win? Tennessee...nah. Princeton? They are 4-0 against Michigan, Michigan St., Nebraska and Maryland, but they've lost all the really big games on their schedule.

If this holds it will help Illinois a lot more than it hurts Indiana, but I wonder about their seeding for the NCAA Tourney. Despite the record, I'm not really sure they've earned a top 4 seed.
The score held up! Does this mean the jinx streak is over??!!?? :eek:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
The score held up! Does this mean the jinx streak is over??!!?? :eek:
That would be monumental!

Probably need more than one outcome to prove the jinx is broken though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom