Big girl needed. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big girl needed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don’t know who UConn has been recruiting, but I’ll say it until I die: Stefanie Dolson was ranked #39 by ESPN Hoopgurlz (2010). She turned out to be one of the best centers in UConn history and dramatically improved everything about her game while at UConn. I can’t imagine that players like her exist in a vacuum. There have got to be other players ranked lower than what their potential really is. I don’t think they need to be 6’6 (I’d happily take a 6’3 rim protector like Kiah Stokes or a 6’2/6’3 athletic leaper like the Ogwumike sisters), but I imagine a “project” player that needs a little extra focus might be worth it if it ends in a story like Stefanie Dolson.
Unrelated to post players, but Kayla McBride was ranked #20 in the 2010 Hoopgurlz class and she made quite the name for herself at Notre Dame. Kelly Faris was ranked #34 the year before and we all know how great she turned out to be. Kia Nurse was ranked at #33 in 2014 and once again we all know how great she turned out to be.
Some top 10 post players never really planned out and ended up falling off of the map. My point being that instead of trying to get top 10 players, invest in players a little lower that buy into UConn’s system and want to get better.
Both Kiah Stokes and Stephanie Dolson were McDonalds AA- probably an indication that they were under ranked. Kiah was WBCA and Parade AA as well.
The UCONN staff understand that they need to land a post player with size. They are out there working there behinds off to get this done. Playing the post at UCONN is a very demanding position. Thank God the UCONN staff is not nearly as focused on the height or ranking of the player to be recruited.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Both Kiah Stokes and Stephanie Dolson were McDonalds AA- probably an indication that they were under ranked. Kiah was WBCA and Parade AA as well.

RANKINGS - Stefanie Dolson (2010)
ASGR - #12
Blue Star - #24
ESPN/Hoopgurlz - #39

RANKINGS - Kia Stokes (2011)
ASGR - #9
Blue Star - #14
ESPN/Hoopgurlz - #42

The subscription service rankings are based on AAU tournaments, USA Basketball performances, and some high school tournaments. The rankings are based on the biggest events, factoring in both HS and AAU performances.

The MCDAA Selection Committee is comprised of high school analysts, prep scouts, high school newspaper reporters, and basketball coaches. The emphasis here is on the high school performances.

As an aside, (and if memory services), back in 2011, the ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings were comprised by the people who ended up heading over to Prospects Nation (whose rankings started in 2013).

The fact that a player was named to the MCDAA team does not mean that she was underranked, nor does the fact that a top-ranked player who was not a MCDAA player means she was overrated. They are just different rating mechanisms with different criteria and evaluators, but with some overlap.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of course Aubrey is not a big and I am beyond tired of Geno forcing guards and small forwards to play the 4 or 5 (yeah, numbers are dead, so spared me that lecture). It has amazed me how the kids put in that position reponded so loyally and valiantly.

Jessica Moore #11 being one. Remeber the end of the 2004 Natie? She gave it everything she had and then some.

JMo was ranked in the 30’s until she committed to UConn

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
RANKINGS - Stefanie Dolson (2010)
ASGR - #12
Blue Star - #24
ESPN/Hoopgurlz - #39

RANKINGS - Kia Stokes (2011)
ASGR - #9
Blue Star - #14
ESPN/Hoopgurlz - #42

The subscription service rankings are based on AAU tournaments, USA Basketball performances, and some high school tournaments. The rankings are based on the biggest events, factoring in both HS and AAU performances.

The MCDAA Selection Committee is comprised of high school analysts, prep scouts, high school newspaper reporters, and basketball coaches. The emphasis here is on the high school performances.

As an aside, (and if memory services), B=back in 2011, the ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings were comprised by the people who ended up heading over to Prospects Nation (whose rankings started in 2013).
The fact that a player was named to the MCDAA team does not mean that she was underranked, nor does the fact that a top-ranked player who was not a MCDAA player means she was overrated. They are just different rating mechanisms with different criteria and evaluators, but with some overlap.
Cam sincere thanks for continuing to educate me personally and the BY in general. My main point was very poorly stated. Dolson & Stokes are often cited as an example of why UCONN should look at players that are "lower ranked" -aka, outside the top 10. The reality is that both players were very close to being top 10 players in their respective classes. I used the selection of both players to McDonalds AA game as an illustration of that point. Clearly the ASGR rankings (9th for stokes and 12th for Dolson) would have been a better way to make that same point.

Reaction Score
I don’t know who UConn has been recruiting, but I’ll say it until I die: Stefanie Dolson was ranked #39 by ESPN Hoopgurlz (2010). She turned out to be one of the best centers in UConn history and dramatically improved everything about her game while at UConn. I can’t imagine that players like her exist in a vacuum. There have got to be other players ranked lower than what their potential really is. I don’t think they need to be 6’6 (I’d happily take a 6’3 rim protector like Kiah Stokes or a 6’2/6’3 athletic leaper like the Ogwumike sisters), but I imagine a “project” player that needs a little extra focus might be worth it if it ends in a story like Stefanie Dolson.

Unrelated to post players, but Kayla McBride was ranked #20 in the 2010 Hoopgurlz class and she made quite the name for herself at Notre Dame. Kelly Faris was ranked #34 the year before and we all know how great she turned out to be. Kia Nurse was ranked at #33 in 2014 and once again we all know how great she turned out to be.

Some top 10 post players never really planned out and ended up falling off of the map. My point being that instead of trying to get top 10 players, invest in players a little lower that buy into UConn’s system and want to get better.

That was the point of a post I made to Charlieball this past summer. Uconn does not need a number one, 2, or 5--they need one big, strong, teachable, quick learner--Step wasn't the exception to prove the point, she and others like her are available for the asking. (No not Steff this year). I suspect the REAL choice is an European who is big that can hit the floor with fundamentals and provide good minutes. Transfers have been notoriously needing retraining to fit the Uconn program--that takes 2 years.
We must remember Steff as a Senior was much different than that Frosh. However, she was thrown at Griner and did a decent, not great job. The Nurse from Wikitywalk, StoningtonMystic area did a great job on Griner .But wasn't a superb top of the line Center. Moore was a project for 3 years and then provided nice minutes (no not Maya).
Point of this is there are 39th ranked centers and there are 39th ranked centers--some get to be Steff and other do not. .

Reaction Score
No doubt Rueck likes height and will take on projects and succeed at them. By doing so (in combination with landing some 4 star players), he put WBB at OSU on the map, after starting as head coach nine years ago with only 1 player on his entire roster.

I have great respect for what he has accomplished...............he would be on my list of outside coaches to replace Geno if UConn went in that direction.........

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
they improve but that improvement doesn't all take place after
one season.....my comment was specifically about how much they will improve by next season......I hope a whole lot...
Pretty much every former top 5 UCONN recruit made a big jump in production from their freshman to sophomore season if they were needed to step up to the plate. The following list of players are examples of that:
Megan Walker
KLS
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
KML
Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Morgan Tuck (if you consider 2014-15 her soph year)
Bria Hartley

No one who was that highly touted hasn't been able to make the jump by their sophomore season. No reason to think ONO or CW will be any different.

Reaction Score
Cam sincere thanks for continuing to educate me personally and the BY in general. My main point was very poorly stated. Dolson & Stokes are often cited as an example of why UCONN should look at players that are "lower ranked" -aka, outside the top 10. The reality is that both players were very close to being top 10 players in their respective classes. I used the selection of both players to McDonalds AA game as an illustration of that point. Clearly the ASGR rankings (9th for stokes and 12th for Dolson) would have been a better way to make that same point.
I have an opinion on this but I’d be interested in hearing yours and CamrnCrz1974. How much emphasis, stock etc. do you feel college coaches put into all these rankings as opposed to what they and their assistants see when watching these kids in person and on video?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have an opinion on this but I’d be interested in hearing yours and CamrnCrz1974. How much emphasis, stock etc. do you feel college coaches put into all these rankings as opposed to what they and their assistants see when watching these kids in person and on video?
I think very little emphasis is placed on these ranking by most the coaches.

Reaction Score
My point was that they both had *potential* to be top 10 players. Neither came into UConn with overwhelming skills. Dolson was a good player her freshman year, but compared to her senior year she was terrible her freshman year. Kiah Stokes was always a good shot blocker, but didn’t really find her role until her senior year. I’m not saying they were bad because of their rankings. I’m saying a top 10 ranking does not equal a great basketball player.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty much every former top 5 UCONN recruit made a big jump in production from their freshman to sophomore season if they were needed to step up to the plate. The following list of players are examples of that:
Megan Walker
KLS
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
KML
Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Bria Hartley

No one who was that highly touted hasn't been able to make the jump by their sophomore season. No reason to think ONO or CW will be any different.

Of those you mentioned, some (Stewart, Collier) seemed to get there quicker then others................I think CW will be just fine once she gets her confidence back.................it may only take one really good game to get her on track................ONO is going to be a dominant player at both ends of the court but I have a feeling it will take her another year to build the kind of strength she needs to be a consistent low post performer..............the bottom line is UConn needs to replace almost 40 points and 15 rebounds per game and it's not going to be easy...........

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Megan Walker
KLS
Napheesa Collier
Crystal Dangerfield
KML
Breanna Stewart
Moriah Jefferson
Bria Hartley

Yeah, but we need 2 ONOs. 1 CW is enough. Don't want to be piggy. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Almost zero, if not zero, if not absolute zero (after watching hours of slow white girl video clips)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Come on. I guess Gabby got her tattoo after she committed to UConn? Maybe Geno will finally figure out this recruiting thing and win a national championship or two.
Actually Gabby had her tattoo while in High School, it was in honor of her mother's French heritage. Gabby and her older sister got matching tattoo's saying in French "Nothing will break our bond".

Reaction Score
Almost zero, if not zero, if not absolute zero (after watching hours of slow white girl video clips)
Agreed. You and Coco seem to support my opinion that these rankings are meaningless. Which makes me wonder why so many on here care about them and try to use them to support opinions about the success and college readiness of recruiting classes. The fans and the gurus are just guessing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Agreed. You and Coco seem to support my opinion that these rankings are meaningless. Which makes me wonder why so many on here care about them and try to use them to support opinions about the success and college readiness of recruiting classes. The fans and the gurus are just guessing.
The debate about the ranking has been going on for a very long time. Some posters throw the rankings out as absolute proof of whatever point they are trying to make (usually why a player is not living up to expectation) There are a few posters like @CamrnCrz1974 and @HuskyNan who have great knowledge of how the ranking are put together. There are a few other posters @vowelguy who used to do a composite rankings and there are quite a few others that understand that it is significant when a player reaches "consensus" number 1.
True confessions: I became obsessed with my daughters rankings when they were in HS. In the process got to know quite a few or the raters Glenn Nelson, Chris Hansen, Mark Lewis, & Dan Olson. They are universally good people who were very patient with me and answered every question I had. The key is to understand the rating philosophies and what goes into them.
This 2011 article by Mark is among the most treasured recruiting tips I have my daughter who is now involved in HS coaching pass on to her players and parents.
Lewis: Skills that separate you

Reaction Score
Of those you mentioned, some (Stewart, Collier) seemed to get there quicker then others......I think CW will be just fine once she gets her confidence back.......it may only take one really good game to get her on track......ONO is going to be a dominant player at both ends of the court but I have a feeling it will take her another year to build the kind of strength she needs to be a consistent low post performer....the bottom line is UConn needs to replace almost 40 points and 15 rebounds per game and it's not going to be easy......
Charlie, ditto your comments re: ONO. If you watch her under the boards, its not just strength but body type that limits her production. Shorter players with wider bodies are able to move her on both offensive and defensive positioning. Not sure how much of this is due to genes and can be improved in weight room (and the UConn daily bar).

Reaction Score

I think that a players ranking is not everything he looks for. He also looks for someone that is coach-able and will buy into his system. That was the case with Dolson. It is not that the over all quality of posts has gone down, but rather the number of players who fit the criteria of buying into the system and being coach-able.

Reaction Score
I think that a players ranking is not everything he looks for. He also looks for someone that is coach-able and will buy into his system. That was the case with Dolson. It is not that the over all quality of posts has gone down, but rather the number of players who fit the criteria of buying into the system and being coach-able.
Charlie, ditto your comments re: ONO. If you watch her under the boards, its not just strength but body type that limits her production. Shorter players with wider bodies are able to move her on both offensive and defensive positioning. Not sure how much of this is due to genes and can be improved in weight room (and the UConn daily bar).
Sorry, meant to say "dairy bar." I know a few of those milkshakes work wonders for me.

Reaction Score
Let me give it a way out shot.....how about the current bench?

I don't agree with this.

Who could've predicted that Coombs would have an awful shot at this point in her career? On this very site there was a thread created and many stated how impressed they were of her play. I don;t recall reading anything negative. Hey she has super potential. If that shot falls of hers ever starts to fall she could be be one heckuva player.

As for Camara, she was ranked in high teens or low 20's before going to Ky for a year I think? I can remember reading that she was pretty good as a frosh in the sec. Were you able to tell right off the bat she wouldn't contribute much?

What about the kid from Texas that was going to come but after the Hurricane hit she decided to stay at home. She changed her mind for most probably family reasons and that makes Geno "complacent?"

And for anyone suggesting "just get a big kid in the 20's or 30's rankings." Well these kids can look into the future and as a fan so can we, right? More than likely UCONN is going to be in the hunt for a top 5 recruit the following year etc. So any implied suggestion "just get the 20-30 ranked player" is hollow. And as fans we see what happens when the players dont get playing time. They leave. They want to play. IMO all of this has not even a spec of a billionth inch of "complacency."

OFc I'ma bias fan. I used to say way back during DT's time - I never understood why some scoring bigs never came to compete for the center position with an opportunity to play for DT. I see the same thing for next year. What an opportunity there is if you have confidence that you're good. UCONN's backcourt will be tremendous next year.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She's still kind of on the horizon but the game is slowing down for her and ONO is coming. And she's gonna be a pain in the ass when she gets there.

Even if we find another big through Graduate transfer or International, they would not be good enough (or know the system well enough) to supplant ONO. At best, a backup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom