Big girl needed. | The Boneyard

Big girl needed.

Reaction Score
Somewhere out there has to be an overlooked big girl, 6'6"or better, with muscle. UConn wasted Stevens last season--she rode the bench too long and National Championship was lost. With a dominant big girl posting up Lou would get twice as many 3 point looks or twice as many assists.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agreed that UConn could definitely use a dominant 6-6 post player next season (any season), but they are hard to find, and even harder to recruit. Keep hope alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Somewhere out there has to be an overlooked big girl, 6'6"or better, with muscle. UConn wasted Stevens last season--she rode the bench too long and National Championship was lost. With a dominant big girl posting up Lou would get twice as many 3 point looks or twice as many assists.

Theyll land a solid grad transfer in the offseason. You also have ONO who will likely make a big jump as a sophomore. UCONN lacks depth but will still be formidable next year.

Reaction Score
I don’t know who UConn has been recruiting, but I’ll say it until I die: Stefanie Dolson was ranked #39 by ESPN Hoopgurlz (2010). She turned out to be one of the best centers in UConn history and dramatically improved everything about her game while at UConn. I can’t imagine that players like her exist in a vacuum. There have got to be other players ranked lower than what their potential really is. I don’t think they need to be 6’6 (I’d happily take a 6’3 rim protector like Kiah Stokes or a 6’2/6’3 athletic leaper like the Ogwumike sisters), but I imagine a “project” player that needs a little extra focus might be worth it if it ends in a story like Stefanie Dolson.

Unrelated to post players, but Kayla McBride was ranked #20 in the 2010 Hoopgurlz class and she made quite the name for herself at Notre Dame. Kelly Faris was ranked #34 the year before and we all know how great she turned out to be. Kia Nurse was ranked at #33 in 2014 and once again we all know how great she turned out to be.

Some top 10 post players never really planned out and ended up falling off of the map. My point being that instead of trying to get top 10 players, invest in players a little lower that buy into UConn’s system and want to get better.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
UCONN lacks depth but will still be formidable next year.

At this point, I don't have your confidence in that prediction.
The majority of the scoring will graduate.
There seems little to take its place, plus the absence of size.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you think the UConn staff determines who they recruit base on who is ranked in the top ten you are sorely and severely misinformed.
Im sure they put a lot of time into looking at those Top 10... Geno is soooooooo picky, there can be a 6'6 player holding his hand but if she has a "tattoo" she's from a bad family or got outside handler. Geno needs to take a few risk, some of these "girls/young ladies" need a lil more nuturing. Who gives a about who didnt work out in the past blah blah blah. He had some great "family" kids that he "took a chance on" who and they didn't work out (Courtney E, EDD) for whatever reason.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
At this point, I don't have your confidence in that prediction.
The majority of the scoring will graduate.
There seems little to take its place, plus the absence of size.

Every top team is losing a lot besides Oregon:

Mississippi State-losing 4 starters including their top 3 scorers
Baylor-loses AA center Kalani Brown
Louisville-loses Durr/Fuerhing/Carter
Stanford-losing their best player, Smith
Notre Dame-losing 4 starters (maybe 5)
Marquette-graduating five 1000 pt scorers

UCONN returns 4 players who were top 5 recruits and will likely add on a solid grad transfer or 2 since a filled out roster of Bent, Irwin and Coombs isn't going to cut it. No, the roster isn't as good as Oregon's or Baylor's, but they have a lot of proven talent coming back compared to most teams. They'll still be a top 4 team in every preseason poll, likely #3 after Baylor and Oregon.

Reaction Score
The majority of talent has been coming out of the south, especially the bigs. They just don't want to leave their families and come north.

Reaction Score
Azura sure is getting lot's of PR this year and she's not even here to talk about it.

Reaction Score
It seems to be pretty simple no big girl no national championship. It seems like the coaching staff or Geno got complacent about recruiting position players and deferred to ESPN . I would also disagree that there are no bigs playing in the north.

Reaction Score
Im sure they put a lot of time into looking at those Top 10... Geno is soooooooo picky, there can be a 6'6 player holding his hand but if she has a "tattoo" she's from a bad family or got outside handler. Geno needs to take a few risk, some of these "girls/young ladies" need a lil more nuturing. Who gives a about who didnt work out in the past blah blah blah. He had some great "family" kids that he "took a chance on" who and they didn't work out (Courtney E, EDD) for whatever reason.

Come on. I guess Gabby got her tattoo after she committed to UConn? Maybe Geno will finally figure out this recruiting thing and win a national championship or two.

Reaction Score
It seems to be pretty simple no big girl no national championship. It seems like the coaching staff or Geno got complacent about recruiting position players and deferred to ESPN . I would also disagree that there are no bigs playing in the north.

And your evidence that Geno and his staff are "complacent" is what? I don't think that word exists is their vocabulary.

Reaction Score
I don’t know who UConn has been recruiting, but I’ll say it until I die: Stefanie Dolson was ranked #39 by ESPN Hoopgurlz (2010). She turned out to be one of the best centers in UConn history and dramatically improved everything about her game while at UConn. I can’t imagine that players like her exist in a vacuum. There have got to be other players ranked lower than what their potential really is. I don’t think they need to be 6’6 (I’d happily take a 6’3 rim protector like Kiah Stokes or a 6’2/6’3 athletic leaper like the Ogwumike sisters), but I imagine a “project” player that needs a little extra focus might be worth it if it ends in a story like Stefanie Dolson.

Unrelated to post players, but Kayla McBride was ranked #20 in the 2010 Hoopgurlz class and she made quite the name for herself at Notre Dame. Kelly Faris was ranked #34 the year before and we all know how great she turned out to be. Kia Nurse was ranked at #33 in 2014 and once again we all know how great she turned out to be.

Some top 10 post players never really planned out and ended up falling off of the map. My point being that instead of trying to get top 10 players, invest in players a little lower that buy into UConn’s system and want to get better.
Exactly. There are great players out there who aren't ranked higher. Aubrey may be 33rd rated but injuries affected that ranking and I expect she will be a dominant player.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Of course Aubrey is not a big and I am beyond tired of Geno forcing guards and small forwards to play the 4 or 5 (yeah, numbers are dead, so spared me that lecture). It has amazed me how the kids put in that position reponded so loyally and valiantly.

Jessica Moore #11 being one. Remeber the end of the 2004 Natie? She gave it everything she had and then some.

Reaction Score
UCONN returns 4 players who were top 5 recruits and will likely add on a solid grad transfer or 2 since a filled out roster of Bent, Irwin and Coombs isn't going to cut it. No, the roster isn't as good as Oregon's or Baylor's, but they have a lot of proven talent coming back compared to most teams. They'll still be a top 4 team in every preseason poll, likely #3 after Baylor and Oregon.

lots of highly rated talent yes, proven........................other then Crystal and perhaps MW, not so much.......................if CW and ONO make huge leaps they will be contenders, if not possibly closer to pretenders....................;)

Reaction Score

here's a nice 6'3" NJ girl that UConn looked at but didn't bite.........................too bad, she's talented and is a great kid/student...................

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile interior prospect with versatility; rebounds and handles up the floor with guard skills; interior footwork with developing offensive attack in key; superb in transition. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2017: Versatile front court prospect offers superb interior footwork, catches, finishes plays in traffic; post defender, battles on glass, quick to 50-50 balls; physical on both ends of the floor; combination of power and finesse in paint. (Olson)

bballnut90

Reaction Score
lots of highly rated talent yes, proven....other then Crystal and perhaps MW, not so much........if CW and ONO make huge leaps they will be contenders, if not possibly closer to pretenders.....;)

Can you name a top 5 recruit who went to UCONN and didn't make a huge jump in production after a reserved role as a freshman? Theyll improve.

Reaction Score
here's a nice 6'3" NJ girl that UConn looked at but didn't bite.....too bad, she's talented and is a great kid/student....

Boo Williams Invitational-April 2018: Agile interior prospect with versatility; rebounds and handles up the floor with guard skills; interior footwork with developing offensive attack in key; superb in transition. (Olson)

USA Trials-May 2017: Versatile front court prospect offers superb interior footwork, catches, finishes plays in traffic; post defender, battles on glass, quick to 50-50 balls; physical on both ends of the floor; combination of power and finesse in paint. (Olson)
Does she have a name?

Reaction Score
Can you name a top 5 recruit who went to UCONN and didn't make a huge jump in production after a reserved role as a freshman? Theyll improve.

they improve but that improvement doesn't all take place after
one season.........................my comment was specifically about how much they will improve by next season.....................I hope a whole lot.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
here's a nice 6'3" NJ girl that UConn looked at but didn't bite.....too bad, she's talented and is a great kid/student....

Yea that UCONN recruiting bias against New Jersey kids is getting a little bit ridiculous. If UCONN "didn't bite" on Kylee Watson there is probably a very good reason.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom