Big Games: Week 5 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big Games: Week 5

Reaction Score
Arkansas is a pain to defend with every single player stepping out hitting 3s, but quick enough to drive to the basket if you play them tight.

Reaction Score
Oregon just erupted in the 4th offensively, much like the Oregon St game where they trailed in the 4th.

Lot of tired legs in the 4th. Good game by both teams.

Last edited:

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Oregon just erupted in the 4th offensively, much like the Oregon St game where they trailed in the 4th.

Lot of tired legs in the 4th. Good game by both teams.
And the opposite of what happened in their loss to North Carolina. Not sure if this team is ready for prime time yet, but they are heading in the right direction.

p.s. I really hate FloHoops.

Reaction Score
Oregon still a work in progress. Starting two freshmen, very thin in the front court. This will help the NET regardless of tomorrow’s game. Shooting for a 4 or better tourney bid but all depends on keeping Vanslooten and Kyei healthy. 6’7” Kennedy Basham returns early January to reinforce the front line.

Reaction Score
Absolute track meet of a game early half way into the first between Michigan and UNC. Both teams looking to push the ball and take a shot whenever possible. It is not pretty but is fun to watch.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I’m one of about 100 people at the USF/Ohio State game. Ohio State really missing Shelden. Amazed the score is relatively close considering 0 points so far from Mikesell/Mikulasikova.

Reaction Score
End of 1Q,
#19 Michigan 35 - #6 North Carolina 20

Reaction Score
I’m one of about 100 people at the USF/Ohio State game. Ohio State really missing Shelden. Amazed the score is relatively close considering 0 points so far from Mikesell/Mikulasikova.
Caught a pretty good game?? How did both teams look?

Reaction Score
End of 1Q,
#19 Michigan 35 - #6 North Carolina 20
Disappointed in North Carolinas performance. Down 6 with 9 seconds left. Im not sure Deja Kelly can be an efficient scorer and I thought their freshman would be able to make more of a contribution.

Also, every other game I watch of Michigan Leigha Brown looks like a 1st round pick.

Reaction Score
Down goes UNC. Great win for Michigan. I wonder how far UNC falls in the rankings.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hail To The Victors

No further comment

rick-ross.gif

Reaction Score
Oregon vs Ohio State tomorrow. Should be a good game. It came down to the last shot with 5 seconds left in OT to determine who the Ducks would face. Glad it’s OSU.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Caught a pretty good game?? How did both teams look?
Both games were excellent.

For the first game, both teams had stretches of great play. Both teams utilize great ball movement and have shooters. I really like Spencer for Arkansas, very quick and a good player. Poffenbarger plays hard and isn't shy to look for her shot, but it isn't a very pretty shot IMO. Vanslooten is a stud. Mobile, coordinated and good size at 6-3. Seems like an ideal college player with her size and skill set. I think she'll do great under Graves. Rodgers was very effective too, huge night. I thought it was a pretty game to watch and both teams played hard. Very back and forth with Oregon taking over the 4th. I think both squads are 15-20 range. Oregon has some nice upside with their young roster. Arkansas looks cohesive on the court but lacks size.

Second game was not as pretty but had a pretty remarkable ending. To be honest I have no idea how Ohio State pulled this off with almost zero contribution from their big 3. Sheldon was out injured which drastically changed their flow on both ends, and Mikesell/Mikulasikova shot something like 1-19 from the floor in regulation. Mikulasikova was absolutely dominated by Dulcy FM from USF. DFM is GOOD. Great at getting good position inside and has a bevy of nice post moves and good touch. 34 points, 17 boards compared to Mikulasikova's 2 points/7 boards on 1-8 shooting. She was the star of the night. Puisis has a really pretty shot and a quick release. Got some quick threes when USF broke Ohio State's press.

The rest of Ohio State played quite well. Cotie McMahon (almost the same name as former Tennessee Lady Vol Cait McMahon) was very effective at getting in the lane and getting buckets inside, Thierry was quite good too. Madison Greene was playing well but left with a knee injury that didn't look good. Hoping it isn't a dreaded ACL. Rikki Harris was really active defensively. Ohio State just looked sluggish/off for much of the game and then turned on the jets late. Happens with a lot of good teams where they seemingly "wake up" and realize they should win the game instead of coasting. The ending was pretty spectacular. USF seemingly had the game on lock up 6 with a minute to go and then OSU played brilliantly down the stretch and hit shots/forced TOs. Mikesell finally hit a 3 off an offensive rebound to tie the game with about 15 seconds to go.

Ohio State is not a top 5 team playing the way they did tonight, but it is a little scary that they can still win a game like this and put up 88 with almost no contribution from their big 3. Hoping Shelden gets healthy soon.

Reaction Score
Both games were excellent.

For the first game, both teams had stretches of great play. Both teams utilize great ball movement and have shooters. I really like Spencer for Arkansas, very quick and a good player. Poffenbarger plays hard and isn't shy to look for her shot, but it isn't a very pretty shot IMO. Vanslooten is a stud. Mobile, coordinated and good size at 6-3. Seems like an ideal college player with her size and skill set. I think she'll do great under Graves. Rodgers was very effective too, huge night. I thought it was a pretty game to watch and both teams played hard. Very back and forth with Oregon taking over the 4th. I think both squads are 15-20 range. Oregon has some nice upside with their young roster. Arkansas looks cohesive on the court but lacks size.

Second game was not as pretty but had a pretty remarkable ending. To be honest I have no idea how Ohio State pulled this off with almost zero contribution from their big 3. Sheldon was out injured which drastically changed their flow on both ends, and Mikesell/Mikulasikova shot something like 1-19 from the floor in regulation. Mikulasikova was absolutely dominated by Dulcy FM from USF. DFM is GOOD. Great at getting good position inside and has a bevy of nice post moves and good touch. 34 points, 17 boards compared to Mikulasikova's 2 points/7 boards on 1-8 shooting. She was the star of the night. Puisis has a really pretty shot and a quick release. Got some quick threes when USF broke Ohio State's press.

The rest of Ohio State played quite well. Cotie McMahon (almost the same name as former Tennessee Lady Vol Cait McMahon) was very effective at getting in the lane and getting buckets inside, Thierry was quite good too. Madison Greene was playing well but left with a knee injury that didn't look good. Hoping it isn't a dreaded ACL. Rikki Harris was really active defensively. Ohio State just looked sluggish/off for much of the game and then turned on the jets late. Happens with a lot of good teams where they seemingly "wake up" and realize they should win the game instead of coasting. The ending was pretty spectacular. USF seemingly had the game on lock up 6 with a minute to go and then OSU played brilliantly down the stretch and hit shots/forced TOs. Mikesell finally hit a 3 off an offensive rebound to tie the game with about 15 seconds to go.

Ohio State is not a top 5 team playing the way they did tonight, but it is a little scary that they can still win a game like this and put up 88 with almost no contribution from their big 3. Hoping Shelden gets healthy soon.
Awesome post and analysis, really enjoyed reading your takes on the game.

OSU’s ceiling is championship-caliber if they can somehow get Sheldon back and Greene is okay. That did not look good though, hoping the best for her.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Just as an FYI, the Oregon players had to deal with a real shocker prior to today's game, when, sometime between the team dinner Monday night and the game today (or maybe at the dinner), one of the freshmen, Jenna Isai, suddenly announced she was leaving the team. Apparently, even her 3 roommates (also freshmen) had no idea this was coming. And, so far, there has been no explanation as to why she chose to do so, and I suspect it's not basketball related. In any case, I hope she finds whatever she needs/is looking for.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I pretty much assume Chicago St. is the worst team in wcbb every year, but SIU Edwardsville could give them a run for their money this season. 1-10 record so far, and they've gotten blown out by a bunch of teams. Even my hapless Washington Huskies managed to beat them by 30 tonight. Dawgs yet again with a completely futile effort shooting 3s, but at least they didn't launch 28 of them like the previous game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom