Big East's Next Media Deal | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East's Next Media Deal

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
But if you don’t think we would be better off in the Big 12 or ACC then you are stupid

The problem is it doesnt matter. We arent going either place. We never were.

Reaction Score
If you want to use the no one cares line. Let's use this one: No one cares (literally no one, not even in their own state) about UConn Football. No one goes to the games, no one watches the games. New England as a whole cares nothing for College Football. No one cares.

THAT is why we are where we are today.
This is not true. Here's a question for you. Texas has double the population of New England. Which one has more 4 year college football teams and players? New England. New England has 53 4 year college football teams and Texas has 36. The big difference between Texas and New England is Texas has more FBS schools than New England (12 to 3) and New England has many more D3 schools than Texas (30 to 10). New England has more FCS (13 to 9) and D2 (7 to 5) schools than Texas.

College football is ingrained in New England colleges, but until the early 90s, New England had 1 FBS school, Boston College so they didn't have teams to embrace high level college football.
Virtually no college built their fan base overnight, but over years and years. I have used Penn State as an example before. Their stadium held 30k until ~1960 and they have been steadily expanding over time. The stadium held 57k in 1972 and 83.8k in 1980...

Connecticut is willing to embrace high level college football, but they need top competition. Look at The Travelers golf tournament. One of the best attended PGA golf tournaments. Why? Connecticut people like golf, but they love attending a top event.

Reaction Score
It was gorgeous and beautiful. And now Im banned. I knew mods here read our private messages, and I stupidly PM'd my handle at Syracusefan to ONE person on the boneyard during the tournament when I was feeling giddy after a win, and within 4 hours I was banned there after 10 years of an active account.

View attachment 90509
Doesn’t surprise me one bit. That’s a shame though.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Those schools know what brings value to the league. It ain’t Butler or Depaul
True, but it's not as if the other BE schools will get some kind of benefit from being nice to us with media revenue.

It was clear to all that we are in this conference as a marriage of convenience and we'd jump in a heartbeat if the opportunity to earn P conference revenue arose. Anyone foolish enough to believe this wasn't the case found out how wrong they were the past few weeks.

What would the C-9 and Butler gain by giving us a larger share of the conference revenue? Our best chance at that would have been lobbying for a distribution model based on premium television appearances a few years ago. Today, as it is obvious we'll get more than our share of those nobody else would consider this.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
You can’t compare apples to apples there. Football is a different animal on a grander scale. The middle of pack p4 averages 50k . Even the crap teams
What's sad about this comment is that if anyone with a little competence replaced fat Lew (instead of Hathaway) your 50k number would be well in the rear view mirror.

Anyone who was at the Rent when it opened (against Indiana) would have known what the crowd was that day. Considering what we had & where we were prior to the Rent opening, a crowd like that one was unimaginable. Hathaway was freshly (I believe less than a month) on the job the day we opened the Rent. An achiever, someone who demands excellence from his work product, someone who wants the best for what he is and what he does would have left the stadium that day saying "My God, if we can do this today, in fifteen years we can consistently pack a 50k stadium. In thirty years we can pack 75k-80k seats. Unfortunately he saw the packed house and said to himself "My work's done here".

Sadly, we may have let the window pass us by. The opportunities could have been there but we were rudderless on many levels of management while the window was open. Now we'll need to force a window open and this will a tremendous amount of work, an unbelievable amount of persistence and enough luck that we won't be faced with some unexpected setback as it won't take a lot to derail the effort.

One thing I can't understand (which has permeated this thread) is the notion that different sports, different aspects of the school, are not connected. It's kind of like saying the right leg is exceptionally strong so who cares about the left arm. If it gets mangled and they have to cut if off, no problem.

Reaction Score
You were banned by a 'cuse admin at the same time you had a post deleted. I wouldn't have deleted the post, but it's their call.

Four consecutive posts were deleted, including yours, and two people were banned.

And reading DMs wouldn't be needed. Your ip address is all I

Nothing that happens here affects syracusefan, and vise versa.

View attachment 90511
I read a post at syracusefan.com a while back about UConn giving up on football so I registered and politely, I thought, offered my differing opinion. I was immediately banned. :confused:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read a post at syracusefan.com a while back about UConn giving up on football so I registered and politely, I thought, offered my differing opinion. I was immediately banned. :confused:

Please call 911 if I ever post over at that delusional site dedicated to an antique athletic program, because it will mean I have had a severe neurological event.

August_West

Reaction Score
August jumped the shark on logic months ago. Save your effort.

Im the one who said we werent going anywhere. Its all you doofuses that were wrong. I cant believe anyone thinks that we are going anywhere. Its mind bottling.

August_West

Reaction Score
In this thread Football fans come to grips with the fact we are sloppy 10th's to schools like Arizona State, SMU and UCF.

Reaction Score
In this thread Football fans come to grips with the fact we are sloppy 10th's to schools like Arizona State, SMU and UCF.
Patience is a virtue and The Basketball Capital Of The World wasn't built in a day.

From 1986-1988 UConn Basketball finished last in the Big East. 3 years in a row.
In 1990 UConn finished tied for first
It took 10 years in the conference to climb that hill. The rest is history.

2004 Big East Football Standings - UConn finished 5th in its first year
2010 Big East Football Standings - UConn finished 2nd behind WVU and went to the Fiesta Bowl

The next conference will begin the next chapter.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Big East will be fortunate to get a half eaten bag of lays, a handful of m&m’s and a few mints for their next tv deal. no one’s watching and no one cares.

here’s to 50 more years of UConn in the Big East!

Reaction Score
Fox just got their hands on a boatload more basketball games at schools people care about, so I can't imagine the Big East is going to have much leverage.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Fox just got their hands on a boatload more basketball games at schools people care about, so I can't imagine the Big East is going to have much leverage.
I will not pull an "I told you so" like A-Dub but in all candor, don't be surprised if the next media contract ends up being very disappointing.

Reaction Score

This is basically what I've been calling for too. This is the lineup I'd start with, but Temple, SMU, SDSU, and Boise St. are other options.

• California
  • Connecticut
  • Massachusetts
  • Memphis
  • Oregon St.
  • Stanford
  • South Florida
  • Washington St.
  • St. John’s
  • Seton Hall
  • Providence
  • Villanova
  • Georgetown
  • Marquette
  • Xavier
  • DePaul
  • Butler
  • Creighton
  • Gonzaga
  • St. Mary’s
Adding the Pac 4 suddenly makes Gonzaga to the Big East much more viable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom