Big East vs AAC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East vs AAC

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Those who say UConn would run over any conference are not wrong - but the other P5 conferences usually have at least 1 team (in any given year) that would give UConn a competitive game and could win. But it doesn't really matter, as others noted Geno's scheduling ensures you are "ready" for the tourney every year. Look at the OBE, one of the best conferences ever (as someone noted) - how many years did UConn not win the conference (answer, very few).

Although there is no doubt that Geno's scheduling out of conference is the toughest in WBB year in and year out, I do think that the challenges that accompany being in a conference in which there are teams stronger than has been the case in the AAC or, I suspect, will be in the new Big East are different--and potentially greater--than those posed by playing even more highly rated teams out of conference.

Why? Because scouting within a conference will likely be much more thorough, teams will have more points of comparison (common measuring sticks, so to speak), and--most important--will learn (steal) from one another. Some of this is possible out of conference as well, of course, but it's more difficult and, imo, much less likely. So, if team A in the conference does something really well, but team B discovers an answer, everyone else will go on to do just that and/or refine that "answer" until team A figures out a way to adjust. (Sort of like a 7 game series in the NBA.) Likewise, a weakness that might not be apparent out of conference is often exposed once conference play begins and then exploited in game after game until, again, adjustments can be made (assuming they can). I'd add to this the physical, but especially mental, grind of playing game after game with a margin of error much narrower than the one UCONN enjoyed in the AAC and will enjoy, I believe, in the Big East. One could certainly argue that the absence of something like this hasn't hurt UCONN since the demise of the old big East, but--post Stewie--I don't think it's helped despite Geno's attempt to schedule as many challenges as possible out of conference.

Reaction Score
Obviously I don't know as much about wcbb as most boneyarders. But so far I don't see any better competition playing Big East teams than AAC teams. Now I know we can't be in the ACC but I'm wondering how the Big East compares to the AAC.Would like a discussion about this from the Boneyard experts. Thank you for your time.

I would give the Big East a slight edge over the AAC .There are some teams in the AAC that would give some of the teams in the Big East a good run. South Florida & Central Florida come to mind. The Big East always had that edge but teams are getting better and competitive.

Reaction Score
I respect your opinion. I consider myself a serious consumer of information. I suddenly feel duped that we've been told that WCBB is improving. If you look at MCBB, it may not be improving, in quality but it is definitely changing from say 30 years ago. More one-and-dones, fewer upperclassmen, more balance across the country, style of play, etc. What about WCBB? Are the players even better? Are they bigger and more skilled like in the men's game? I'm stuck and a little disappointed that the women's game is stagnant. I don't follow HS play. I've always thought basketball was the most fun game in the world to play. HS gym teacher- give your class open gym and everybody plays basketball. Fact. Are the young girls playing basketball?

I don't' understand your point here. And I am not arguing with you. Because I don't understand what you're saying.

Regarding the men, are you saying the quality is higher because the super young players leave early?

And are you saying more balance equals higher quality? I can recall a couple on here years ago stating the disappointment they had with UCONN because they were blowing everyone out and they enjoy the men's game more. I recall that weekend I watched a men's game for a short time- that eventually went overtime between South Carolina and KY. I looked at the stats later in which both teams shot no more than 40% from the floor ,shot miserably from 3, shot poor free throws, and the assist to turnover ratio was terrible. Yet the game was close ie. - there was more balance. Is that high quality?

Third- there were some posters on here before season started that spoke of how the women's game has evolved because of size and athleticism. You don't agree? So you think teams that have won in the past such as the 15-16 team with a thin Stewie and smaller Tuck, and the 16-17 team of SC that went small - these smaller teams can still win because the game has remained stagnant?

I wonder sometimes if we get too caught up trying to make a definitive statement. But I'll make one. I see a lot of blowouts (as Clubber Lang said- he predicted a lot of pain) the next several years. This year to some degree there are questions. But the next several -- lots of destruction. And I think it will be so beautiful to watch. And I am hopeful these teams might be in the conversation of greatest wcbb teams of all-time. IMO that "quality" is better than the "quality" the men's game can offer. Their superstars don't stay.

Reaction Score
I’d have to agree with you if we were playing better. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.
Pretend UConn was in the old Big East Men. Legendary teams, legendary coaches. Ok- McGraw, Mulkey, Walz, dude at Texas, Andy the ESPN analyst, Kara Lawson, Staley, and Geno bumping heads twice a week for 8 weeks straight. 16-18 games. That’s how it was with them. Ewing, Mullin, Pearl Washington, Ray Allen, etc.
How would Geno do, if his team had that kind of preparation/seasoning before March. I think he‘d do really really well.
Sorry, it’s Covid, got to lament about something!

But you are talking about the greatest era of the Men's Big East and comparing it to UCONN's worst team in the since 05-06.

A few years after Ewing and Mullin left the Big East didn't; accomplish much. One year Cuse won it all- but it's not like from start to finish they were super. They just got hot. Matter-of-fact imo it was Jim Calhoun and UCONN that saved the Big East's butt for several years even when UCONN didn't win the title. They kept the Big East "credible" as other teams seemed to disappoint during reg season and even in NCAA's including the Hoyas.

Geno basically gets number 1 recruits but not every year is the number 1 recruit going to be super - especially year 1 and year 2. What UCONN is doing by getting to the FF every year-- shouldn't be. It's normal for UCONN (or any program) not to be A+++++++ every year. It's unrealistic to expect A++++++++++++ every year.

But Geno/UCONN has done really well despite it all- hasn't he? Final Fours every year. Two years in the last 3 of NCAA's UCONN gets beat by a buzzer beater. A buzzer beater. Those two years UCONN was undefeated going into the NCAA's. And it's not like they lost to "Princeton." Didn't UCONN do really well? Or-- it doesn't matter whether you lose by 1 or by 50 or whoever you lose to -- the fact is you lost and that means you didn't do "very well?"

Reaction Score
TL;DR the whole thread, but could we settle this with an AAC/Big East Challenge next year? Or maybe a Big East/PAC12 Challenge? Just some way to measure the competition with a bunch of head-to-head matchups. I know it’s not a perfect way to determine which conference is better, but it could create some fun matchups and increase the profile of the Big East (if they get a few wins, that is).

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I'm working from memory here, but if I recall correctly, we beat DePaul by "the skin of our teeth" last year. We built up a huge lead, but in the third and especially fourth quarters, we lost our focus and they started to come back and never stopped. It was the only time I wanted the clock to run out because, given enough time, I thought they would overtake us. Of course, we probably would have turned it back on in the end, but still, DePaul really challenged us.
By 10, outscored by 3 4th quarter, Probably best DePaul ever, one of the weaker UConn teams recently

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Let’s not forget that the women are just one of the teams joining the Big East. For the men, this is really huge, as it is for nearly every other sport at UConn.
What other sports? Large public universities verses small private schools.
Remember the expensive football team with newer facilities became irrelevant.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What other sports? Large public universities verses small private schools.
Remember the expensive football team with newer facilities became irrelevant.
Soccer (women were a ranked team on the OBE and the men won a championship), hockey (women were a ranked team), among others. National juggernaut and multiple championship team field hockey never left the BE.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Soccer (women were a ranked team on the OBE and the men won a championship), hockey (women were a ranked team), among others. National juggernaut and multiple championship team field hockey never left the BE.
Final soccer rankings 2019 multiple AAC teams ranked, baseball, how many teams are funded by private schools verses public. Current Big East Only.
Ice hockey?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You have to remember this isn't the old Big East. No ND, no Louisville, no Rutgers, no Syracuse. For UCONN WBB the BE isn't going to be much different from the AAC. Except for travel. And games are more difficult to watch live. (can be done, just not as easy)

UCONN is still gonna blow out most teams, win the league, pick up most of the end of season awards, and most years go undefeated in conference.

Hope people weren't getting their hopes up about being back in the BE.

Reaction Score
Huh???????????????? How many times since ND and UCONN split has there been a close game in the conference? Even when Louisville hung around UCONN blew them out.

If you are talking out-of-conference - blame COVID. More than likely there was a potential for 2 close games early-on.

But you're following the wrong team if that's what you so desperately want to see close games in the conference. In addition think of UCONN's recruiting class coming in potentially next year as well. Are you going to be pretty miserable and fretting Paige and Fudd and Edwards and whoever else that may shine wiping out the Big East for the next several years?

I think blowouts are a beautiful thing. Your loss is my gain. :) :)
I just want to get the blood going sometimes ...so a close game every now and then is what I enjoy...and I never am miserable..life is good in Florida..78 degrees today..Merry Covid Christmas..

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There is not a BIG gap. By the end of the season, the Big East could easily pass one if the Power Five in the Massey ratings. In men’s basketball, it is the best conference in the nation.
In the latest Bracketology, Charlie has 4 teams going to the dance from both the Big 12 and Big East. Those teams are as follows; Baylor (2), Texas (5), Iowa State (8), and West Virginia (10) for the Big 12 and UConn (1), DePaul (4), Marquette (9), and Villanova (10). So you may just be correct in your prediction.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In the latest Bracketology, Charlie has 4 teams going to the dance from both the Big 12 and Big East. Those teams are as follows; Baylor (2), Texas (5), Iowa State (8), and West Virginia (10) for the Big 12 and UConn (1), DePaul (4), Marquette (9), and Villanova (10). So you may just be correct in your prediction.
The way too early predictions (still). Predictions about Iowa State are iffy, West Virginia also a bit TBD. Villanova and Marquette may be good but I wouldn't put money on them yet.

The Big 12 has been and continues to be difficult to figure. Only Baylor and arguably Texas have been consistent recently. Iowa State, OK State vary, TCU and Kansas State vary even more-so and Oklahoma dropped off of the map.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom