Big East vs AAC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East vs AAC

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
If close games are what you want, your time would be better spent watching other teams, other games, other conferences. Perhaps the Purdue-Nebraska game coming up today would be right down your alley.

Some people insist on being dissatisfied. Last season we struggled to single-digit wins against Memphis and UCF, and trailed USF at the half. Was that more conducive to your entertainment and happiness?
Wait, what, he said 75-70 games, not 51-43 point games with horrible shooting, lots of fouls and turnovers...:rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wait, what, he said 75-70 games, not 51-43 point games with horrible shooting, lots of fouls and turnovers...:rolleyes:
Okay, so 75 to 70. Is that a UConn win or a UConn loss? And exactly how many turnovers and fouls should be committed? And what exactly should the shooting percentages be? Should it be a come-from-behind win, or a comfortable lead that gets whittled toward the end? And while we're at it, what should the weather be like outside the gym?

Apparently whether UConn actually plays well is less important than achieving this fool's gold of "close games". So much so, that it hasn't been enough to complain about the Big East at every opportunity ever since the change was announced, plus again in the most recent postgame thread for good measure.

Reaction Score
Okay, so 75 to 70. Is that a UConn win or a UConn loss? And exactly how many turnovers and fouls should be committed? And what exactly should the shooting percentages be? Should it be a come-from-behind win, or a comfortable lead that gets whittled toward the end? And while we're at it, what should the weather be like outside the gym?

Apparently whether UConn actually plays well is less important than achieving this fool's gold of "close games". So much so, that it hasn't been enough to complain about the Big East at every opportunity ever since the change was announced, plus again in the most recent postgame thread for good measure.
Not sure if this back-in-forth is tongue in cheek. I'm thick I guess. Hard to tell sometimes.
If you guys are serious: Do we really have to explain what a "good" game is? Maybe we need a thread on this.

Reaction Score
The Big East doesn’t have football. UConn is currently an independent in that sport

my reference to UConn football was simply to point out the obvious, that the team's poor play has been one of the main reasons why UConn has not been invited to join one of the bigger athletic conferences (ACC, Big 10, etc) that would clearly benefit the UConn basketball programs.......

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
I respect your opinion. I consider myself a serious consumer of information. I suddenly feel duped that we've been told that WCBB is improving. If you look at MCBB, it may not be improving, in quality but it is definitely changing from say 30 years ago. More one-and-dones, fewer upperclassmen, more balance across the country, style of play, etc. What about WCBB? Are the players even better? Are they bigger and more skilled like in the men's game? I'm stuck and a little disappointed that the women's game is stagnant. I don't follow HS play. I've always thought basketball was the most fun game in the world to play. HS gym teacher- give your class open gym and everybody plays basketball. Fact. Are the young girls playing basketball?

Respectfully disagree. Once upon a time, there was only one true contender for the top spot in WCBB. Then there was 2. Then 3 or 4 and more. Years ago it was just LA Tech. Then it was just Tennessee. Then it was UConn/Tennessee. Now Stanford, Oregon, SC, ND, Baylor, Louisville and others regularly show up as topnotch competitors. That's a significant improvement.

While the pool of talent is still small compared to the men's side it is steadily growing and with it the number of teams that are legitimate contenders. Almost every year we see more really good players and that leads to more really good teams and that leads to more competitive games. It's an evolution at a slow but steady pace. Hopefully that pace will accelerate in the future.

Reaction Score
my reference to UConn football was simply to point out the obvious, that the team's poor play has been one of the main reasons why UConn has not been invited to join one of the bigger athletic conferences (ACC, Big 10, etc) that would clearly benefit the UConn basketball programs.......
I agree. It's all about football.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

I think you missed my point of humor- You said to the poster if he wanted a 75-70 game, to go watch Neb-Purdue and I am saying no way is that a 75-70 game more like 51-43, with poor shooting and lots of turnovers as those teams are not great...As they say if you have to explain your joke, it's not really funny...:oops:

Reaction Score
We had that last year and half the Boneyard was rushing to take more heart medicine. Then the whining commenced. As an admin, I prefer the 30+ point blowouts
If those 30 point blowouts prepare the team for games against Louisville, Stanford, Baylor,SC et al then I'm happy to see them.

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget that the women are just one of the teams joining the Big East. For the men, this is really huge, as it is for nearly every other sport at UConn.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There is not a BIG gap. By the end of the season, the Big East could easily pass one if the Power Five in the Massey ratings. In men’s basketball, it is the best conference in the nation.

The Big 10 would like to have a word with you.

Reaction Score
Let’s not forget that the women are just one of the teams joining the Big East. For the men, this is really huge, as it is for nearly every other sport at UConn.

guilty as charged but my focus is on WBB with an additional rooting interest for UConn women's soccer as one of my daughters high school friends plays for them........

Reaction Score
They are of similar quality-opponent wise. The difference is that we don't have to travel cross country to beat up on them. And that alone is a significant upgrade.

Reaction Score
Croquet being the forerunner of Charlieball I presume.

croquets got it's name from my great great great grandmother's cousin's two week old chicken croquettes............... now Charliball..........that's a whole nother story.......

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As an outsider - the Big East is a better conference than the AAC for UConn in numerous ways variously cited above and is, in fact, an excellent conference in a number of sports.

Someone above brought up the issue that some pundits consider the Big East a 6th power conference in women's basketball. Probably true, the American was among the better as well. With the occasional exception of the "best" team in select conferences, there is no real quality elsewhere.

Those who say UConn would run over any conference are not wrong - but the other P5 conferences usually have at least 1 team (in any given year) that would give UConn a competitive game and could win. But it doesn't really matter, as others noted Geno's scheduling ensures you are "ready" for the tourney every year. Look at the OBE, one of the best conferences ever (as someone noted) - how many years did UConn not win the conference (answer, very few).

All that said, I would not count on the BE getting highly competitive in WBB. I don't think the money or will is there. At some of the schools it never was. And they lack much tradition. DePaul is clearly the best team, but remember, they were in the OBE as well.

Reaction Score
BE only for men. Obviously ND vs UConn had a lot of juice when they were both in the BE.
Pac 10 best by far with the SEC having at least some competition a rung down from the country’s best.
I used to be a diehard Gonzaga men’s fan. Same problem they have. Except for OOC which is usually at the beginning of the year or a plug in game in Jan or Feb, they don’t play anyone once conference starts. They have BYU and SMC and the Huskies have DePaul and I guess Marquette and with the American Conference USF and UCF. Yawn

Reaction Score
As much fun are 100-52 beat downs..I'd like to see a 75 to 70 score once in a while..

Huh???????????????? How many times since ND and UCONN split has there been a close game in the conference? Even when Louisville hung around UCONN blew them out.

If you are talking out-of-conference - blame COVID. More than likely there was a potential for 2 close games early-on.

But you're following the wrong team if that's what you so desperately want to see close games in the conference. In addition think of UCONN's recruiting class coming in potentially next year as well. Are you going to be pretty miserable and fretting Paige and Fudd and Edwards and whoever else that may shine wiping out the Big East for the next several years?

I think blowouts are a beautiful thing. Your loss is my gain. :) :)

Reaction Score
Huh???????????????? How many times since ND and UCONN split has there been a close game in the conference? Even when Louisville hung around UCONN blew them out.

If you are talking out-of-conference - blame COVID. More than likely there was a potential for 2 close games early-on.

But you're following the wrong team if that's what you so desperately want to see close games in the conference. In addition think of UCONN's recruiting class coming in potentially next year as well. Are you going to be pretty miserable and fretting Paige and Fudd and Edwards and whoever else that may shine wiping out the Big East for the next several years?

I think blowouts are a beautiful thing. Your loss is my gain. :) :)
I’d have to agree with you if we were playing better. It is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.
Pretend UConn was in the old Big East Men. Legendary teams, legendary coaches. Ok- McGraw, Mulkey, Walz, dude at Texas, Andy the ESPN analyst, Kara Lawson, Staley, and Geno bumping heads twice a week for 8 weeks straight. 16-18 games. That’s how it was with them. Ewing, Mullin, Pearl Washington, Ray Allen, etc.
How would Geno do, if his team had that kind of preparation/seasoning before March. I think he‘d do really really well.
Sorry, it’s Covid, got to lament about something!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom