Big East vs AAC | The Boneyard

Big East vs AAC

Reaction Score
Obviously I don't know as much about wcbb as most boneyarders. But so far I don't see any better competition playing Big East teams than AAC teams. Now I know we can't be in the ACC but I'm wondering how the Big East compares to the AAC.Would like a discussion about this from the Boneyard experts. Thank you for your time.

Reaction Score
Obviously I don't know as much about wcbb as most boneyarders. But so far I don't see any better competition playing Big East teams than AAC teams. Now I know we can't be in the ACC but I'm wondering how the Big East compares to the AAC.Would like a discussion about this from the Boneyard experts. Thank you for your time.

Ignore the score, the eye test seems to indicate that the Big East teams that Uconn played so far are better than a lot of AAC teams. I thought Villanova played pretty well last night but they just don't have enough good players to hang with Uconn. I suspect that Uconn would have blown out more than 50% of the ACC teams the same way, much less the AAC teams.

Reaction Score
Given the Big East is a basketball only conference the schools are more focused on building a strong programs. Basketball especial women’s basketball is an after thought in AAC. Talent is a little better and in general teams will play hard the entire game. With UCONN back they will likely get better talent as the years move on.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
In WBB even the P-5 conferences are all a little top heavy. The Pac-12 is probably the most balanced, but there are really only 2 teams, Stanford & Oregon capable of winning the conference. The SEC is dominated by SC. With ND falling on hard times, the ACC now belongs to Louisville. MD owns the Big 10 and Baylor continues to dominate the Big 12, although it will be interesting to see if Vic can legitimately establish TX as a challenger to the Lady Bears.

All told, there’s just 7-8 teams in WBB, including UConn, who get most of the top players, dominate the game year in and year out and win all of the championships.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, one of the big differences between the two conferences for men and women is recruiting. On occassion, some of the new recruits selected UConn men because of the affiliation with the Big East. I would think that besides the great tradition of UConn Women and Geno, that this is and will continue to be an underlying attraction for the "presitige" factor.

While UConn was in the AAC, I did not observe the improvement of the AAC like the Big East did in the years following its creation. Perhaps, in the future the Big East will repeat this performance. Even one ESPN announcer said that he considered the Big East a part of the "Power 6", whatever that means. I also remember how excited the coaches of the Big East Women's programs were at the announcement of UConn becoming a member and how that will impact positively their ability to recruit top players to their schools. It is not that bad for a young person to attend one of these schools and have a small school atmosphere and education while playing in a top competitive program.

Reaction Score
The big East used to be what the PAC12 is now. Rutgers has left a big hole and with UConn gone it has turned in my estimation to a 3point fest. The reason being the Power Conferences get all the bigs and most of the top 50 from each class is exposure and competition. With UConn back in the Big East and playing in Madison Square Garden and Mohegan, the conference should attract more local tri-state talent of which there is usually plenty. This will make St John's stronger and the Philly Girls will stay in Philly. Mid West teams will want to play UConn and this will help recruit. It will take a couple of years but it will be good for WCBB. UConn will for the foreseeable future and be tough to beat. Imagine Azzi Fudd draining three's from Paige's passes. I can!!!!1

Reaction Score
Look at the Massey rankings; that’s the easiest way to compare. As a short cut, you can punch up the individual conferences and see the rankings of every team at the same time. If you do this, you will find that we are so much better off in the Big East, not to mention the far more convenient traveling.

Reaction Score
yes UConn is stuck in another noncompetitive conference mostly thanks to the football program such as it is...........I suppose Depaul and Marquette will always have a 3 point shooter's chance to defeat UConn but that's not the consistent kind of dog eat dog environment that will prepare UConn for the NCAA tournament ahead......

Reaction Score
The big East used to be what the PAC12 is now. Rutgers has left a big hole and with UConn gone it has turned in my estimation to a 3point fest. The reason being the Power Conferences get all the bigs and most of the top 50 from each class is exposure and competition. With UConn back in the Big East and playing in Madison Square Garden and Mohegan, the conference should attract more local tri-state talent of which there is usually plenty. This will make St John's stronger and the Philly Girls will stay in Philly. Mid West teams will want to play UConn and this will help recruit. It will take a couple of years but it will be good for WCBB. UConn will for the foreseeable future and be tough to beat. Imagine Azzi Fudd draining three's from Paige's passes. I can!!!!1

Agreed. The break up of the Big East affected both the men's and women's basketball conferences more than some may realize.

ESPN's 30 for 30 on the Big East's demise, while more focused on football and men's basketball, provides great insight. I totally forgot the number of schools that left to go to the ACC and elsewhere. Had they stuck around, who knows how good this conference could have been now?

Reaction Score
I go simply by the eye test on this one.

You can tell the coaching and the way the teams play that BE is better than the AAC. To me, it's not even close.

Reaction Score
This question is getting tiresome. Place UConn in any other conference and for the most part they will still do what they do now. This has been the case from the day they won their 1st NC. The early days of the Big East (conference was talked about being a dessert) wasn't the same Big East that split in 2013. The Big East was one of the strongest, if not the strongest during those years before the breakup.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Look at the Massey rankings; that’s the easiest way to compare. As a short cut, you can punch up the individual conferences and see the rankings of every team at the same time. If you do this, you will find that we are so much better off in the Big East, not to mention the far more convenient traveling.
Very true! I think everyone has a tendency to compare the conferences looking at just the top teams that could potentially give Uconn a good game. From that perspective it might be close, but the bigger differences come in the middle and lower part of the conferences.

If I remember right looking at the team rankings last year, the big east was better, not by a huge amount, but better, even without Uconn. Switching Uconn of course makes the difference much bigger and moves the Big East near if not at the top of non Power 5 conferences. There is still a big gap, however, between the Power 5 and the Big East, it's just been reduced somewhat.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
For comparison...

Big EastMassey
Massey
AAC
Connecticut3
28​
South Florida​
DePaul36
57​
UCF​
Marquette56
70​
Houston​
Villanova59
90​
Tulane​
Creighton81
98​
Tulsa​
Seton Hall86
100​
East Carolina​
St. John’s109
136​
Temple​
Providence114
141​
Cincinnati​
Georgetown123
149​
Wichita State​
Xavier154
166​
Memphis​
Butler202
235​
SMU​
Average Massey93
115​
Average Massey
Average (w/o UConn)102

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This question is getting tiresome. Place UConn in any other conference and for the most part they will still do what they do now. This has been the case from the day they won their 1st NC.

This issue has been hashed and rehashed about as often as the "starting five" question, to the point where I suspect the motives of those who so persistently harp on it.

The grass is always greener, I guess. But the so-called "power 5" conferences are not all they're cracked up to be, the quality of their play nowhere near the match of their bloated budgets and even more bloated reputations. If anyone thinks games against Vanderbilt and Auburn and LSU and Ole Miss would be thrilling ...

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
WE are UCONN Women's Basketball, the definition of dominance.
The conference is irrelevant. For example take UCONN's record against the ACC teams.
Code:
UCONN Women's Basketball record against ACC teams                
Boston College        34    9    79.0%    
Clemson                3    1    75.0%    
Duke                  11    3    79.0%    
Florida State          9    0   100.0%    
Georgia Tech           2    0   100.0%    
Louisville            18    2    89.0%    
Miami                 18    5    78.0%    
North Carolina St.     6    2    75.0%    
North Carolina         7    4    64.0%    
Notre Dame            37   12    75.0%    
Pittsburgh            41    4    91.0%    
Syracuse              38    6    86.0%    
Virginia               6    2    75.0%    
Virginia Tech         10    1    91.0%    
Wake Forest            3    0   100.0%    
                     243   51    82.7%

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
So, let me point this out, again. It's ONLY the WBB program that is non-competitive! The men's basketball program was very competitive, both in the AAC, and now the Big East. I'm sure all other sports programs are competitive. The only real solution is for the WBB program to become independent, like ND football used to be. But I don't believe Geno could get enough games for an entire season. And it's never going to happen, anyway. UConn is a victim of their own success

Reaction Score
In WBB even the P-5 conferences are all a little top heavy. The Pac-12 is probably the most balanced, but there are really only 2 teams, Stanford & Oregon capable of winning the conference. The SEC is dominated by SC. With ND falling on hard times, the ACC now belongs to Louisville. MD owns the Big 10 and Baylor continues to dominate the Big 12, although it will be interesting to see if Vic can legitimately establish TX as a challenger to the Lady Bears.

All told, there’s just 7-8 teams in WBB, including UConn, who get most of the top players, dominate the game year in and year out and win all of the championships.
Just like football lol.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
yes UConn is stuck in another noncompetitive conference mostly thanks to the football program such as it is...........I suppose Depaul and Marquette will always have a 3 point shooter's chance to defeat UConn but that's not the consistent kind of dog eat dog environment that will prepare UConn for the NCAA tournament ahead......
The Big East doesn’t have football. UConn is currently an independent in that sport

Reaction Score
Aside from the fact that I think the competition is slightly better and the data shows it, I am also happy about the following things:

1. Geography-the teams are closer to each other in 2 areas instead of all over the place. Its better for the players over a season with travelling and I can attend more games in person after covid.
2. Its a historic bball conference and better for recruiting
3. I like the prettier more flowing style of basketball in the BE. I hate the AAC style of beat em up. Its ugly and not entertaining to me. A bunch of those teams are just thugs and play dirty in order to win which is dangerous to players.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
WE are UCONN Women's Basketball, the definition of dominance.
The conference is irrelevant. For example take UCONN's record against the ACC teams.
Code:
UCONN Women's Basketball record against ACC teams               
Boston College        34    9    79.0%   
Clemson                3    1    75.0%   
Duke                  11    3    79.0%   
Florida State          9    0   100.0%   
Georgia Tech           2    0   100.0%   
Louisville            18    2    89.0%   
Miami                 18    5    78.0%   
North Carolina St.     6    2    75.0%   
North Carolina         7    4    64.0%   
Notre Dame            37   12    75.0%   
Pittsburgh            41    4    91.0%   
Syracuse              38    6    86.0%   
Virginia               6    2    75.0%   
Virginia Tech         10    1    91.0%   
Wake Forest            3    0   100.0%   
                     243   51    82.7%
Except for Notre Dame, most of those wins were before Geno became the coach.

Reaction Score
My biggest hope right now for the women’s team is that other big east teams use being in a conference with UConn in order to get better. Was hoping for the same thing in the AAC and it never really worked out that way. It’s definitely going to take time, but I would love to see Depaul and Marquette move up the rankings a little bit and make the conference stronger.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom