Big East vs. AAC National Championships | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East vs. AAC National Championships

Reaction Score
What's your point? We all know this is the worst stretch in the last 40 years of UConn basktball. We won this hellhole of a conference a national championship. The entire rest of the conference has 1 second weekend appearance since it's formation.
hellhole is an understatement. how are we supposed to attract big recruits in this conference. one of the biggest complaints on the board is the difficulty of recruiting. it just became even more difficult with the AAC/espn deal that threw games on their streaming service in addition to the geography of these teams

Reaction Score
and since then suffered in the most random conference ever. going back to the big east is a blessing and you are too blind to see it. if you really like the AAC so much then i suggest you switch allegiances to being a fan of UCF or something. so you can see the great UCF vs east carolina matchups.

you called the big east the kids table. so silly. look at the NBE in the past (nova winning 2 chips) now (with several competitive, ranked teams) and the long term matchups that we are going into. everyone on this board would've sacrificed a championship to go to the new big east or big east, whatever you want to call it. now we have serial complainers.
you're stuck on a single sport - there's an entire athletic department and university beyond the basketball court.

Reaction Score
you're stuck on a single sport - there's an entire athletic department and university beyond the basketball court.
football is hopeless. we need to go back to what got uconn to where it was in athletics, and that was being a basketball giant in the big east. some people were in la la land if they thought that we would get into a power 5 conference with our shambles of a football program.

Reaction Score
Well said

There is no next AAC TV deal. Get it

They signed up for a flat deal until 2032 - or let’s read the contract.

That precipitated our Exit - quite frankly. I have no problem admiring the Football Programs there that have improved ... AND then the Hoop. But we can’t work with the Cash Flow we’d get.

Reaction Score

and you're stuck in the twilight zone. the only sports that matter when it comes to a school's national reputation are football and basketball. when's the last time you heard about Alabama's lacrosse team or Oklahoma's hockey team? oh wait...do they even exist? can't be very important then, can they? and more people watch little league than they do college baseball.

once we found a home for bball the other sports needed to fall in line. As far as football goes it already seems like the school is going to get more money and exposure out of their schedule starting next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not at UConn, it starts and ends with the hardwood. You are hung up on a delusion that we had a shot at a Power 5 invite if we hung around in the American and continued to wither on the vine. The reality is that none of the major conferences are expanding anytime soon with the exception of maybe the Big XII for whom we would be the 7th or 8th option. Odds are that we will never end up getting an invitation into the P5 club; the only chance we have is if we return to national prominence in the sport our brand is built on, not by hanging our hopes on our joke of a football program.

Reaction Score

the Indy/Big East move is 100x better for the school and athletic department than staying in the AAC.

Reaction Score
My God stop the hate on the AAC already! It's a conference trying to make a name for itself and by most is doing an incredible job for the short amount of time they have actually been in existence. UConn opted out and it'll take a few years to see if that was the right move. The next Big East and the next AAC TV deals should reveal a lot. Whether the football program can gain respectability as a indie where they could not as a conference mate will also tell the tale. I hope the AAC does well along with the MW and the MAC. I hate the idea of a Power 5 vs the rest of the colleges. And keep in mind the Big East isn't a Power anything. They have a half dozen decent to good basketball schools and that's it. They have zero competition for the women's team. The baseball suck compared to the AAC.

I hate the AAC

Reaction Score
Even though this is the wrong way to look at it, I don’t view our 2014 season as a true season in the AAC. It wasn’t until 2015 when the AAC was at its current format, minus Wichita St. In 2014, the AAC still had Rutgers/Louisville, and did not have Tulane/ECU/Tulsa until the year after. Its funny to think that the AAC would probably be a decent conference in basketball as well as football if It just continued to looked the way it did in year 1 with UConn/Louisville/Memphis/Houston/SMU/Cincinnati/USF/UCF/Temple/Rutgers. I know thats completely unrealistic, but I think it shows how much ECU and Tulane weigh the league down.
Bringing in tulane/ecu/tulane was the death knell of the conference. such an enormous downgrade from the members that left. it was a pretty good conference prior to that move

Reaction Score
Its funny to think that the AAC would probably be a decent conference in basketball as well as football if It just continued to looked the way it did in year 1 with UConn/Louisville/Memphis/Houston/SMU/Cincinnati/USF/UCF/Temple/Rutgers.

if a frog had wings it wouldnt bump its ass a-hoppin'

Reaction Score
As Big East Members - 9 National Champions
2020-21 Members: National Titles as Big East Members - 7
2020-21 Members: National Titles in their programs' histories - 9*

* Marquette and UConn hold titles won outside of their Big East membership

Reaction Score
Actually, we won zero of our titles in the conference that is now called the Big East. We won all four of our titles for the conference that is now called the American, but was called the Big East before it sold its name to the new Big East.

Yeah. So are the Syracuse/Georgetown/Villanova (1985) Championships. They all belong to the AAC as that is the real Big East :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As Big East Members - 9 National Champions
2020-21 Members: National Titles as Big East Members - 7
2020-21 Members: National Titles in their programs' histories - 9*

* Marquette and UConn hold titles won outside of their Big East membership
We all know the deal. UConn is still in the same conference it created in 1979 and has won 4 titles.

Reaction Score
Kolumbo,
I guess you didn't follow the agreement. The name, records, MSG contract, and history went with the group that had more claim to them - Georgetown, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, and Villanova. The conference money, the commish, and the Providence, NH conferences offices went with the AAC.

There seems to be a peculiar hang-up here on legal entity.

Welcome back to the Big East!

Reaction Score
Kolumbo,
I guess you didn't follow the agreement. The name, records, MSG contract, and history went with the group that had more claim to them - Georgetown, St Johns, Providence, Seton Hall, and Villanova. The conference money, the commish, and the Providence, NH conferences offices went with the AAC.

There seems to be a peculiar hang-up here on legal entity.

Welcome back to the Big East!
I know that UConn never left the conference that it is in today. The Catholic schools did.

"While the other successor, which does not sponsor football, purchased the Big East Conference name, The American inherited the old Big East's structure and is that conference's legal successor. However, both conferences claim 1979 as their founding date, and the same history up to 2013.[5][6] The American is headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, and led by Commissioner Michael Aresco."

Reaction Score
I know that UConn never left the conference that it is in today. The Catholic schools did.

"While the other successor, which does not sponsor football, purchased the Big East Conference name, The American inherited the old Big East's structure and is that conference's legal successor. However, both conferences claim 1979 as their founding date, and the same history up to 2013.[5][6] The American is headquartered in Providence, Rhode Island, and led by Commissioner Michael Aresco."
you say this like it means something

Reaction Score
Reality has a tendency to mean something
big brain time. what does it mean? you're going to the big east and leaving the american. that's reality

Reaction Score
"THE CREATION

In the Spring of 1978, only a few months after my arrival in Syracuse, Dave Gavitt, Jack Kaiser and Frank Rienzo, Athletics Directors at Providence, St. Johns and Georgetown respectively, gathered to discuss newly imposed NCAA men's basketball in-season scheduling requirements. These requirements forced independent institutions like the four of us to align and schedule schools with whom we had no interest or tradition. Self determination was far better than being told who your partners would be, and so the four of us met for countless hours in countless sessions to determine the make-up of our new conference to be. We considered the quality of men's basketball programs in the northeast, regional representation, significant media markets, etc. Boston College was invited over Holy Cross, UMass and Boston University. Connecticut was then added. Rutgers was extended an invitation but declined because it was aligned in the Atlantic 8 (now the Atlantic 10) along with Penn State. Rutgers didn't feel comfortable disassociating itself with Penn State. Seton Hall took Rutgers spot. Villanova was also in the Atlantic 8, but it joined up a year later over Temple and St. Josephs. Thus, in the first year of operation, 1979-80, we had seven active members which increased to eight in 1980-81."

Above from: A BIG EAST History & Retrospective (Part 1)

Gavitt is usually regarded as having started the conversation about creating a Northeastern basketball league. The 4 schools that then started the process and created the league included 3 from the Catholic 7 that reformed as the new BE. I would question Georgetown as geographically Northeast, but the league in its first 2 years was the Northeastern league its founders envisioned. All the schools the founding four invited, as well as those considered but not invited, were all Northeastern schools. That was the idea, and that is what it was for a couple of years.

The Catholic 7 included 4 purely Northeastern schools, plus Georgetown from the original 4. It was closest to the original vision.

If the way I see this can be lawyered, that's fine. I'm not looking at the letter of the league, I'm looking for the spirit of the league.

I've always looked at the whole debate over which of the two leagues, at the time of the separation of the Catholic 7, was the "real BE", from the point of view of which was actually closer to the original conception and the very first years. The Catholic 7 were obviously closer to Gavitt's and his colleague's original vision. That's where the spirit of the league was, it seemed to me. Hence I could never really feel resentment that the name and the league bb record went with them.

Reaction Score
Who cares really? We’re gone and maybe John can move on to his next stage of grief

Reaction Score
‘’However, both conferences claim 1979 as their founding date. As part of the separation agreement, the basketball schools were able to retain the basketball records while the football schools retained the football records respectively.’‘

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom