Big East vs. AAC National Championships | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East vs. AAC National Championships

Reaction Score
Who cares really? We’re gone and maybe John can move on to his next stage of grief
No grief here, long-time season ticket holder from field house days. I'll enjoy seeing some of the old BE foes. The new ones are a bunch of mid-majors. Just haven't drunk the koolaid.

Reaction Score
No grief here, long-time season ticket holder from field house days. I'll enjoy seeing some of the old BE foes. The new ones are a bunch of mid-majors. Just haven't drunk the koolaid.
If Xavier, Butler, and Creighton are mid-majors...what the hell are SMU, Tulsa, USF, UCF, Tulane and East Carolina?

Reaction Score
Image result for 2009 corvette images Image result for 2010 corvette

2009 and 2010 Corvettes.

From separate legal entities.

The nGM legal entity took with it the name, branding, and key assets from oGM.

nGM is a good company, but it doesn't really have any history. It's only existed for a little more than 10 years.

Reaction Score
If Xavier, Butler, and Creighton are mid-majors...what the hell are SMU, Tulsa, USF, UCF, Tulane and East Carolina?
All-sports athletic departments. Robust enrollments. Schools with institutional growth potential. Schools like UConn

Reaction Score
All-sports athletic departments.

you know the only sport the aac sponsors that the big east doesnt is football, right? and UConn's team is better off as an indy. Confused as to where your hangup is.

Reaction Score
you know the only sport the aac sponsors that the big east doesnt is football, right? and UConn's team is better off as an indy. Confused as to where your hangup is.
Robust enrollments.
Schools with institutional growth potential.

Reaction Score
Robust enrollments. community colleges
Schools with institutional growth potential. community colleges

same number of players on a given roster, regardless of the sport, regardless of the school's size. why do you care that a combined 100,000,000 part time students are enrolled at UCF and USF?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Robust enrollments.
Schools with institutional growth potential.

I’d much rather be associated with schools with 8,000 undergrads that are selective in who they accept than schools with 20,000+ that select 90% of applicants. We’re more like the Big East schools than you realize. The AAC is tarnishing UConn’s academic reputation. We’re honestly in CUSA right now. That’s not UConn.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Bringing in tulane/ecu/tulane was the death knell of the conference. such an enormous downgrade from the members that left. it was a pretty good conference prior to that move
Extra points for either Tulsa autocorrecting to Tulane, or you just writing it twice.

a combined 100,000,000 part time students are enrolled at UCF and USF?
Now THAT'S growth potential!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
lol. if the big east is the kids table then the aac is the dumpster behind Long John Silvers.
Obviously you see things only through the glasses of mens basketball. The JOHN is correct - the big boys sit at the big boy tables because they are in the football conferences - a place where the AAC is closer to than anyone in the New Big East.
I agree the NBE is better for basketball - no question and perhaps soccer
As JOHN stated, UConn made their decision - lets see how it plays out in 5 years

Reaction Score
The money. Follow the money.

Presuming UConn Football was competitive

If Aresco wanted ... a Pod of Buffalo + UConn + Temple + Navy + UMASS would be the perfect little football thing. We really have little utility to do Texas, Louisiana & Oklahoma football. But the AAC could have made this very attractive football wise.

Once the TV deal was flat through 2032 ... it’s easy. Not only do we suck ... but we play only one nearby regional. Temple. The independent scheduling makes it obvious. It’s a long way to acknowledge ... get back to top competition in Hoop, good opportunities will come.

Reaction Score
Obviously you see things only through the glasses of mens basketball. The JOHN is correct - the big boys sit at the big boy tables because they are in the football conferences - a place where the AAC is closer to than anyone in the New Big East.
I agree the NBE is better for basketball - no question and perhaps soccer
As JOHN stated, UConn made their decision - lets see how it plays out in 5 years
" the big boys sit at the big boy tables because they are in the football conferences - a place where the AAC is closer to than anyone in the New Big East." Please give it a rest, the American is a joke. The American is the best of the Group of 5 schools, sure, but it is miles away from the "big boy table". At least the Big East is relevant in their flagship sport.

Reaction Score
" the big boys sit at the big boy tables because they are in the football conferences - a place where the AAC is closer to than anyone in the New Big East." Please give it a rest, the American is a joke. The American is the best of the Group of 5 schools, sure, but it is miles away from the "big boy table". At least the Big East is relevant in their flagship sport.
So you're admitting we're moving even further away from P5 relevance.

Reaction Score

not even close, in fact, the opposite.... First, the BE isn't a G5 conference. Second, UConn has been less relevant over the past 6 years than at any point since the 1980s, maybe earlier.

if you think we had a chance to join a P5 you probably think the earth is flat too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's pretty clear (I believe) Uconn will never be in a power 5 conference and I believe the University is aware of this. We had our chance and for whatever reason it didn't happen...not going to rehash everything. Whether Uconn is moving away from P5 relevance or not, doesn't really matter at this point. We are not in, so we are out. The Big East gets ton of basketball credibility. Even down here in NC, the Big East is considered a power conference in basketball for whatever that is worth.

Reaction Score
Depends what you mean by "P5 Relevance". If you're asking me if I'm admitting that we are moving away from "P5 Relevance" in the sense we are less likely to get invited into a Power Five conference then my answer is maybe. I also don't think it matters which conference gives us the better shot at the P5 because I think we have basically no shot at getting in either way. On the other hand, if you are asking me if we are moving further away from Power 5 relevance in the sense of how our Alma Mater's prestige is perceived than I think the answer is a resounding no. Moving to the Big East reminds the country of who our University is, and that is a basketball power house. Additionally, the company you keep matters, and as an NYC based alum I much prefer to be associated with schools like Georgetown and Villanova then Eastern freaking Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom