Big East v. Power 5 Challenge | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East v. Power 5 Challenge

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Patience. With the greatest program in WCBB history back in the BE interest will grow. Girls around the country gonna wanna be part of it. Football be damned. P.S.- I dream of the day when Syracuse and Boston College humbly ask for readmittance.
You don’t know that. The same thing was said about the American 7 years ago and yet none of that came to fruition. First is a financial commitment by schools to keep good coaches like Duffy and Dillon and fund their programs for basketball operations. Then we can talk…

Kat

Reaction Score
From what I've seen during the tournament and at the end of the season, the Big East is looking good and it will be better next year. Yes, more outside conference games for all helps with exposure and competitiveness but as the league improves, it will get more national attention.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
You don’t know that. The same thing was said about the American 7 years ago and yet none of that came to fruition. First is a financial commitment by schools to keep good coaches like Duffy and Dillon and fund their programs for basketball operations. Then we can talk…
The AAC has a higher rating than the Big East. And higher attendance.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I’m not defending nine teams being worthy. They aren’t

However, the “objective” NET does ranking the SEC as the best conference by a rather wide margin.

Hate it if you must, but money usually matters. (UConn is the exception). A P-5!can spend more money on facilities, travel accommodations, athletic support systems etc etc than smaller schools.

What percentage of top 100 recruits sign with non P-5 Plus One schools?
UConn's move to the BE was a big fish going to a conference of mostly small schools with small on campus facilities centered around areas of the country losing population.

Reaction Score
Top 25 players? Maddy is a little higher than that.

POINTS PER GAME
Through games March 3, 2022
RANKNAMETEAMPPG
1Caitlin ClarkIowa27.5
2Maddy SiegristVillanova26.5
3Jasmine DickeyDelaware25.1
4Dyaisha FairBuffalo23.9
5Cierra HooksOhio23.0
6Ayoka LeeKansas St.22.7
7Jordyn DawsonAkron22.3
8Makenna MarisaPenn St.22.2
9NaLyssa SmithBaylor21.8
10Jennifer ColemanNavy21.6
Fair point, HN, which heightens my sympathy re: Villanova favorable NCAA Tournament consideration.

I wrote that a few weeks ago & made a conservative off-hand estimate without analyzing numbers. Having said that, overall player caliber not confined nor defined only by scoring, of course.

Geno labeled Maddy Siegrist one of the 10 best UConn has played this season in his PG presser last night.

Last edited:

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I agree that there is no anti-Big East bias, but still, how many of the above losses and close wins were when Villanova was without Maddy Siegrist? I believe I've read that prior to last night, they had only two losses while Siegrist was playing.

And, as has been noted, the Selection Committee has the ability and authority to consider availability of key players when evaluating a team's "resume".
Financial considerations might matter as to bias, ESPN owns the SEC, ACC and the Big 10 networks.

Reaction Score
Financial considerations might matter as to bias, ESPN owns the SEC, ACC and the Big 10 networks.
ESPN does not own the big 10 network. It is owned by Fox and the Big10.

So all that so-called pro-Big10 coverage you’ve seen on ESPN may have been — perish the thought — actual analyst opinion?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The top of the Big East isn't bad. Many of the current BE teams were in the old BE - and Creighton, in particular, was successful in where-ever it was before BE, as was Marquette. Successful for "mid-majors".

Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John's, and Providence were long time oBE members, who every once in a while would have a star and inch into the tourney - they were never a threat for a deep advance so far as I remember. None of them have recaptured their old glory.

As has been noted in several of these threads centering around conference bids, these schools are not spending the money on their WBB program, they aren't going to now, and they are going to struggle to attract these star recruits.

Reaction Score
Are we suggesting that schools with successful football programs move to the Big East?

Are we thinking that a P5 conference would want to have a tourney against the BE on the women’s side? I grow befuddled.

We need to return to the real world. The move to the Big East was probably a good decision for everyone except the UCONN Women’s basketball team. They are stuck with inferior competition and this isn’t going to change. In fact, UCONNs (womens) presence in the BE is not a plus (as some seem to think) for other BE schools to recruit better talent. It’s actually a negative. What’s the coaches pitch to a recruit? “ come to our school. UCONN will win the regular season and the conference playoffs so our chances to get to the BIG DANCE is slim to none. But, our uniforms are pretty”.

If you are in a P5 conference and win the regular season AND conference playoffs, you are a number 1 seed. UCONN just did that and we are hoping they are a 2 seed and not a 3 seed. Why? They are in the BIG EAST. Neither that or the level of competition is going to change anytime soon.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Patience. With the greatest program in WCBB history back in the BE interest will grow. Girls around the country gonna wanna be part of it. Football be damned. P.S.- I dream of the day when Syracuse and Boston College humbly ask for readmittance.
You have my permission to take both of these teams back.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
If you are in a P5 conference and win the regular season AND conference playoffs, you are a number 1 seed. UCONN just did that and we are hoping they are a 2 seed and not a 3 seed. Why? They are in the BIG EAST. Neither that or the level of competition is going to change anytime soon.
Please tell that to the committee regarding Iowa this year, or Baylor last year. Oh wait, you're just making stuff up with no evidence!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
ESPN does not own the big 10 network. It is owned by Fox and the Big10.

So all that so-called pro-Big10 coverage you’ve seen on ESPN may have been — perish the thought — actual analyst opinion?
Big Ten Network. American sports network based in Chicago, Illinois. Wikipedia. American digital cable and satellite sports television channel that is owned by ESPN Inc., a joint venture between the Disney Media Networks division of The Walt Disney Company and the Hearst Communications (which owns the remaining 20

Reaction Score
Latest Bracketology shows Villanova the last team in!! Yea!!!! B.E.!!!!

Reaction Score
Big Ten Network. American sports network based in Chicago, Illinois. Wikipedia. American digital cable and satellite sports television channel that is owned by ESPN Inc., a joint venture between the Disney Media Networks division of The Walt Disney Company and the Hearst Communications (which owns the remaining 20

Reading is fundamental.

The Disney part refers to ESPNU.
Click on the Wikipedia link under BTN.

8F2645C8-13F7-4E7F-8BA9-877CF990A216.jpeg

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Then how did UConn get a #1 seed last year? Were they in a different conference?

UConn's resume just isn't 1 seed caliber this year. It's not because of our conference; it's because of how we played.

Reaction Score
Then how did UConn get a #1 seed last year? Were they in a different conference?

UConn's resume just isn't 1 seed caliber this year. It's not because of our conference; it's because of how we played.
I agree with your last sentence. My point is - if we run the table or lose one OOC game, we are a #1 seed and it will stay that way. However, if we lose some OOC games and fall out of #1 seed territory, it’s impossible to play ourselves back to a #1 seed even if we win the regular season and win the conference playoffs as we see this year. Because we get little or no credit for winning the BE but penalized if we lose just one game in the BE. Being in the BE ( on the Women’s side) means the entire season -seeding wise- fully depends on the results of the OOC schedule. Unlike the P5 conferences.

Reaction Score

This is incorrect. Where did you get this link?

1) BIG 10 games are also broadcasted on Fox Sport channels and you can stream them via the FoxSports app.
2) If they were owned by ESPN, BIG 10 games would be accessible via ESPN+ and they're not.
3) They also wouldn't have the BIG10+ app on its own which is another streaming service option.

Big Ten Network - Wikipedia

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I agree with your last sentence. My point is - if we run the table or lose one OOC game, we are a #1 seed and it will stay that way. However, if we lose some OOC games and fall out of #1 seed territory, it’s impossible to play ourselves back to a #1 seed even if we win the regular season and win the conference playoffs as we see this year. Because we get little or no credit for winning the BE but penalized if we lose just one game in the BE. Being in the BE ( on the Women’s side) means the entire season -seeding wise- fully depends on the results of the OOC schedule. Unlike the P5 conferences.
It's nowhere near that black-and-white.

Winning a p5 conference is no guarantee of a particular seed. Plenty of p5 champions have been seeded 2 or lower. Maryland in 2017 won the Big Ten regular season and conference tournament, had an overall record of 30-2 (with one of those losses to overall #1 UConn), and got a 3 seed from the committee.

In view of UConn's caliber of play through early February, exactly which power 5 conference regular season do you think UConn would have won?

sun

Reaction Score
I agree with your last sentence. My point is - if we run the table or lose one OOC game, we are a #1 seed and it will stay that way. However, if we lose some OOC games and fall out of #1 seed territory, it’s impossible to play ourselves back to a #1 seed even if we win the regular season and win the conference playoffs as we see this year.
UConn signed up to be in the Big East because it's better for the men, for UConn and for the conference.
And the money earned helps to pay for WBB and a lot of other sports.
That shouldn't be ignored.
A lot of money is involved that is more important than our WBB team being ranked #1.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom