Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East TV Deal with FOX, TNT, and NBC

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I’ll say this.. really hope we avoid the “stick most popular team behind a paywall because their fans will pay for it” situation with Max and Peacock. Would really be unfortunate.

Granted, we also get by FAR the best ratings on FOX/FS1, how this shakes out starting in 2025 will be interesting to monitor

Reaction Score
I’ll say this.. really hope we avoid the “stick most popular team behind a paywall because their fans will pay for it” situation with Max and Peacock. Would really be unfortunate.
I can't imagine any of the associated networks doing anything like that. Where would you come up with such an idea?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Yes, but they do have other content
They do, that wasn’t what got you to buy it. And you cancelled for 2025 already.

Reaction Score
They do, that wasn’t what got you to buy it. And you cancelled for 2025 already.
Edited my post to state the Olympics. That was worth it for me. I've got a brain and know what year it is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
the irony of this is hysterical!

our new (power conference) tv deal starting next year is what’s booting the church league off of fox/fs1.

you can’t make this up!
Lol @ "our".

Cincinnati is the redheaded stepchild of that conference.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
Peacock is awful. Living in B1G country and had absolutely no idea when any B1G team was playing on Peacock and I know a number of others felt the same, even with the teams they follow. At least flipping channels on TV I'd find a random watchable game on BTN once and a while.

Turner is buying up a lot of stuff with the money they don't have to spend for the NBA so will be interesting how much they put across TNT, TBS, and TRU and not bury stuff on streaming...maybe even people will know TRU exists outside of NCAA opening weekend...

I'll probably feel different about Fox though once they put their streaming games behind a paywall...

Reaction Score
Putting games on Peacock and Max is a ticket to oblivion

You can get away with this if you are a well established league, sport or national team

The Big East is not that
That's where we are headed for ALL tv/sports. Like it or not (and I'm not saying I like it). I "cut the cord" years ago. The only reason I still have YouTubeTV for live tv is that I want the sports and news channels. I'm paying way too much for that and would love to cancel, but I'm not ready for that yet. My son will watch sports on YTTV, but he doesn't flip around. He puts on a specific game. So sometimes he's on Peacock or ESPN+ for soccer games, sometimes on YTTV. To him, it's all the same. My daughter has never used her YTTV log in. They are going to college next year. I was curious what college kids do for tv. They literally didn't care. They figured they have netflix, MAX, Peacock, etc. and don't care about live tv.

I'd actually be more worried if we were on some crappy network that didn't have a streaming option. I don't know how much we're getting for this deal, but that's more important than where it's televised.

Reaction Score
That's where we are headed for ALL tv/sports. Like it or not (and I'm not saying I like it). I "cut the cord" years ago. The only reason I still have YouTubeTV for live tv is that I want the sports and news channels. I'm paying way too much for that. My son will watch sports on YTTV, but he doesn't flip around. He puts on a specific game. So sometimes he's on Peacock or ESPN+ for soccer games, sometimes on YTTV. To him, it's all the same. My daughter has never used her YTTV log in. They are going to college next year. I was curious what college kids do for tv. They literally didn't care. They figured them have netflix, MAX, Peacock, etc. and don't care about live tv.

I'd actually be more worried if we were on some crappy network that didn't have a streaming option. I don't know how much we're getting for this deal, but that's more important than where it's televised.

Check the TV ratings

The more mainstream, the more eyes are watching

The Big East needs eyeballs for reasons too numerous to mention

Reaction Score
They're really trying to have us sign up for Venu or whatever it's called huh

Reaction Score
Only 2 more years to go..;).."So basically the fear is that UConn will jump ship again, but to a P(4) so it has a home for football, and if it does, UConn will have to pay through the nose: $30M if it departs within the first six years, $15M for years seven through nine, and $10M at year 10 and after."

Reaction Score
My read is that FOX will continue to broadcast most the best games on its main channel and delegate a portion of its FS1 games to Turner. The remaining games - or the ones that aired on FS2 under the old deal - will likely be relegated to streaming. In other words, I'd wait to see how it plays out before buying the streaming service just to see UConn.

(Also, I'm surprised anyone pays the Cincy troll any mind. It'd be one thing if he brought any fresh material, but he doesn't.)

Reaction Score
Peacock on sale right now -- $19.99 for the YEAR. Great price... and you can take advantage of being able to catch all of the Olympic events if that's up your alley
I also find it great for Tour de France. Used to have to record live action during day to watch at night with having to speed through ads. Now can just select either full watch or recap show in the evening both without ads.

Reaction Score
Read what I said

To repeat, if you are a well established league, you can get away with it

In addition, they are getting paid probably 10 times what we will get for this
If your point is that more popular things are more popular, well okay. Why does this new arrangement change that in any way?

What is the Big Ten "getting away with" here? Not "getting a ticket to oblivion"? I don't see how having our games on the same networks and streaming platforms as "well established leagues" means we're on the way to death.

It's of course the payout that is the real problem, but that's a separate issue that relates a lot more to football than streaming platforms.

Reaction Score
the irony of this is hysterical!

our new (power conference) tv deal starting next year is what’s booting the church league off of fox/fs1.

you can’t make this up!
You can't make this up!
Screenshot_20240324_003101_Chrome.jpg

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I highly doubt it'll affect UConn men's basketball much at all, we'll be the top draw and I'd be shocked if we're not on FS1 for nearly every game. This is likely replacing the CBSSN games if I had to guess
My prediction is, since we are the big brand, we will be top half of the league in terms of number of games on streaming to drive the subscribers. But in return we will probably get a ton of national FOX games as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom