Big East Transfer Portal | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Nova fans think this was a result of the impending Wooga Poplar commitment and he wants to run the offense
Wooga is good, but he’s not a guy you run an offense with. Almost a 1:1 a/to ratio and more of a three-level shot maker. He’s a nice fit for what Villanova wants to run on offense, but Neptune has gotta go.

Reaction Score
the jig is up, everyone's realizing the big east is not the place to be. half the teams still have several available scholarships still! sad!

broke schools! tired fanbases! the future is NOT looking good!
1716427513861.gif

Reaction Score
Villanova's fall from grace has been remarkable. They best move on from Neptune quickly or the brand and NIL donations will downgrade. I recognize Nova is loyal to Jay (and Jay is giving leash and mentoring to Neptune), but this is danger zone. Also terrible for the Big East to have a mediocre Nova. At least there is hope of St Johns and, dare I say Georgetown, ascending.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall’s roster is now set.

Overall, they look super underwhelming but I will never underestimate a team coached by Sha.
yea they're gonna need guys like Coleman and Middleton to make big jumps, losing Davis, Richmond, and Dawes is alot, and even Bediako was a surprise for them. makes the tourney snub even worse when you knew they would have to replace damn near their entire starting line-up without a lot waiting in the wings.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall’s roster is now set.

Overall, they look super underwhelming but I will never underestimate a team coached by Sha.
If the nj.com stories are true about their insufficient NIL support, that is going to be a big problem. Shaheen will need to use the MoneyBall approach that UConn uses just to consistently make the NCAAT (i.e. like Ed Cooley's Providence teams). If Shaheen is successful in doing that I can at least 1 of 2 outcomes, 1) more NIL money coming in, although not enough to consistently get top 70 recruits or 2) Shaheen bolting to another school where he will get more NIL money.

Reaction Score
Is Supreme Cook still available in portal? Haven't noticed any announcements on him

Reaction Score
yea they're gonna need guys like Coleman and Middleton to make big jumps, losing Davis, Richmond, and Dawes is alot, and even Bediako was a surprise for them. makes the tourney snub even worse when you knew they would have to replace damn near their entire starting line-up without a lot waiting in the wings.
Add Gus Yalden (Wisconsin) to that list too. I think Zion Harmon (Bethune-Cookman) has got some potential while Chaunce Jenkins (16p, 4r, 3a, 5.3 FTA at ODU) brings exciting offensive juice too.

Overall, looking at their roster, they are pretty rich with 6'4-6'7 pieces, but lack PG depth behind Harmon and are incredibly green at the 5.

Reaction Score
the jig is up, everyone's realizing the big east is not the place to be. half the teams still have several available scholarships still! sad!

broke schools! tired fanbases! the future is NOT looking good!
Another misinterpretation on your part.
The Big East schools are so stocked with talent most are not going to use all their scholarships as to do otherwise would cut into the playing time of the many NBA talents on the rosters..........

Reaction Score
Villanova's fall from grace has been remarkable. They best move on from Neptune quickly or the brand and NIL donations will downgrade. I recognize Nova is loyal to Jay (and Jay is giving leash and mentoring to Neptune), but this is danger zone. Also terrible for the Big East to have a mediocre Nova. At least there is hope of St Johns and, dare I say Georgetown, ascending.
It was a real head scratcher when they hired him.

Must be Jay liked him, but one year of head coaching experience at a disaster like Fordham makes you wonder what they were thinking. It was so bad there that his 16-16 record looked like a winner but they'd have to have been drunk to hand the keys to a fabled program based on that one year........

Reaction Score
Another misinterpretation on your part.
The Big East schools are so stocked with talent most are not going to use all their scholarships as to do otherwise would cut into the playing time of the many NBA talents on the rosters..........
I can’t tell if you’re serious or you’re just saying intentionally dumb stuff in response to Kobe’s dumb stuff.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Georgetown is a dumpster fire. They arent ascending

Reaction Score
That's why "hope" is the operative word. But yah, Cooley and company underperformed in year 1 and the transfers for year 2 don't foster confidence.
As a Big East fan, which is second to being a UConn fan of course, I really would like to see Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's to be at least perennially NCAAT teams with appearances in at least a Sweet 16 for some of them.

-St. John's is trending in the right direction and I thought they should have made at least the First Four this year.
-Nova is the only other real national brand in the Big East besides UConn, and I would love it if they become really good again. However, I don't think Neptune will turn it around although I hope he does. This year's transfer class is very underwhelming
-Georgetown, I would hope becomes a good, but I am not sure Cooley can do it. He really is a high floor-low ceiling type coach and last year was a low ceiling guy. Georgetown should have had more than 2 BE wins and even those wins were against DePaul who went 0-20 in the Big East.

With UConn being the biggest national brand in the Big East and those 3 teams doing well, the Big East would have an even stronger and more respectable brand than it does now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a Big East fan, which is second to being a UConn fan of course, I really would like to see Georgetown, Villanova, and St. John's to be at least perennially NCAAT teams with appearances in at least a Sweet 16 for some of them.

-St. John's is trending in the right direction and I thought they should have made at least the First Four this year.
-Nova is the only other real national brand in the Big East besides UConn, and I would love it if they become really good again. However, I don't think Neptune will turn it around although I hope he does. This year's transfer class is very underwhelming
-Georgetown, I would hope becomes a good, but I am not sure Cooley can do it. He really is a high floor-low ceiling type coach and last year was a low ceiling guy. Georgetown should have had more than 2 BE wins and even those wins were against DePaul who went 0-20 in the Big East.

With UConn being the biggest national brand in the Big East and those 3 teams doing well, the Big East would have an even stronger and more respectable brand than it does now.
Here’s my problem. We had the best team in the country by far last year and the teams that were toughest and most competitive were primarily the BE teams. The NCAA selection committee rewarded the conference with 3 bids. It’s not about what happens in that single elimination playoff for those BE teams but more deserved to go.
No respect for the BE, JMO.

Reaction Score

Boakye was the #31 ranked recruit of the '21 class and originally committed to Arizona State.

Didn't play much there after two seasons and even though Fresno State is in a solid conference, Boakye would be much better suited as a backup.

Reaction Score
Now that rosters are starting to get more set, here's my ranking of the Big East teams:

Tier 1 - UConn

Tier 2 - Clear cut top-25 teams: Marquette, Creighton

Tier 3 - Could be top-25 teams: Xavier, Providence, St. John's

And then from there, I can't quite figure out the remaining teams, Villanova included.

DePaul should be better than last year as in Holtmann can actually coach and I like that Layden Blocker (#35 recruit of '23) is surrounded by shooters.

Pierre Brooks (14.8 ppg) is back for Butler and if Telfort comes back, they could be dangerous. Another team without a clear starting center.

Georgetown will be better this season too with Mack being a major upgrade over Brumbaugh, Epps returning (18.5 ppg) and Micah Peavy is one of the most underrated transfer pickups in the Big East. Their issue is unproven bigs, but Fielder has some game and Sorber is a top-50 pickup.

I ain't sleeping on Seton Hall and Villanova is still a TBA until we know what's up with Eric Dixon and Wooga Poplar. Without these two, Villanova will be a bottom-three Big East team.

Reaction Score

That is big for Villanova. Without him, Nova was looking like a team that would finish in the bottom 4 of the Big East. I would have love it UConn could have gotten Dixon. I know UConn was never in the running to get him or even made an attempt, but he is a very good player and will greatly improve any team's roster.

Reaction Score
That is big for Villanova. Without him, Nova was looking like a team that would finish in the bottom 4 of the Big East. I would have love it UConn could have gotten Dixon. I know UConn was never in the running to get him or even made an attempt, but he is a very good player and will greatly improve any team's roster.
They're still going to stink.

Reaction Score
Without him they were gonna be bottom 2, now they'll be bottom 3. They have a terrible coach and a terrible roster

Reaction Score
Without him they were gonna be bottom 2, now they'll be bottom 3. They have a terrible coach and a terrible roster
Yes they will still be lousy, but not as awful without Dixon. I think Dixon being from close to the Philly area, and having loyalties to the Nova program and Jay Wright is most likely what lead him back to Nova. It's his life, his career, and his choice, but I hate that he chose Nova and didn't decide to go somewhere else. Dixon deserves a better ending to his college basketball career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom