Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are 60 G League players on 2 way contracts, and most of those are already spoken for. Maybe 15-20 kids a class get a 2 way deal. If you don't get one of those, the G league players make $40,500 a year. Quite a bit less than a college player.

I think the days of NBA teams parking raw athletes in the G league are going to be coming to a close. Why bother, when there will be so many polished 3 and 4 year players coming out of college, having stayed there because of NIL? NBA teams won't need to gamble anymore.
NBA added a 3rd 2-way during the new CBA negotiations that are open July 1st. So there's probably 40-50 available on top of the 30 2nd round picks, etc, though there will probably be a lot of overlap of 2nd rounders getting 2-ways.

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
There are 60 G League players on 2 way contracts, and most of those are already spoken for. Maybe 15-20 kids a class get a 2 way deal. If you don't get one of those, the G league players make $40,500 a year. Quite a bit less than a college player.

I think the days of NBA teams parking raw athletes in the G league are going to be coming to a close. Why bother, when there will be so many polished 3 and 4 year players coming out of college, having stayed there because of NIL? NBA teams won't need to gamble anymore.
Maybe true, but somebody is going to have to play in the G League so they can have an actual league with teams. 60 players is not enough.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
NBA added a 3rd 2-way during the new CBA negotiations that are open July 1st. So there's probably 40-50 available on top of the 30 2nd round picks, etc, though there will probably be a lot of overlap of 2nd rounders getting 2-ways.

A lot of those 2 way contracts are already being used.

Some of the 2 way deals were used for the exceptional athletes that did not go to college, but I can see some teams pulling back on those kinds of players. With NIL, if a kid can't get his act together enough to go to college and make $500k+, does a pro team really want him? And why bother paying $500k a year on a 2 way to that raw 19 year old that couldn't get his act together to go to college when teams can get polished 21+ players that can contribute immediately? I think that going forward, the 2 ways will be for bench players to be injury fill-ins and midseason minutes eaters for load management. That is kind of what many of them are already. That means the NBA will want polished players and be drafting less on "potential".

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Oof. Seton Hall fans thought they had Posh locked up. There are men's rec league teams in Indianapolis that are more talented than Butler's team. Maybe I was overrating Holloway as a coach if Seton Hall loses Alexander to Butler.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you have to earn $45,000 for a short period while you improve yourself to make millions - to these guys it might be a worthwhile trade off. Plus they are doing something they love.
The G League is not meant to be a career. They can do that overseas and earn much more

Sure. But making $45,000/year to play basketball in front of maybe 2,000 people when each NBA roster is up to 16 players (including 2 ways) and a quality starter could make 10 times that in college is not putting the time in to improve yourself, it is just freaking stupid. I guess I could see putting in a couple of years if you have used up your college eligibility, but any player with eligibility that ends up in the G League not on a 2-way contract has really blown it.

Reaction Score
A lot of those 2 way contracts are already being used.

Some of the 2 way deals were used for the exceptional athletes that did not go to college, but I can see some teams pulling back on those kinds of players. With NIL, if a kid can't get his act together enough to go to college and make $500k+, does a pro team really want him? And why bother paying $500k a year on a 2 way to that raw 19 year old that couldn't get his act together to go to college when teams can get polished 21+ players that can contribute immediately? I think that going forward, the 2 ways will be for bench players to be injury fill-ins and midseason minutes eaters for load management. That is kind of what many of them are already. That means the NBA will want polished players and be drafting less on "potential".
Exceptional athletes that did not go to college are signed to the g league ignite which aren’t two way deals. It’s completely different

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Exceptional athletes that did not go to college are signed to the g league ignite which aren’t two way deals. It’s completely different

It is not completely different. Although the new CBA allows the direct-to-pros to stay in Ignite or OTE for more than one year, I don’t see a lot of these players making big money if they have not declared by the time they are eligible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It is not completely different. Although the new CBA allows the direct-to-pros to stay in Ignite or OTE for more than one year, I don’t see a lot of these players making big money if they have not declared by the time they are eligible.
The g league ignite has like 3 lottery picks, these guys are not taking up 2 way contracts. I’m not sure what you r trying to argue here

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The g league ignite has like 3 lottery picks, these guys are not taking up 2 way contracts. I’m not sure what you r trying to argue here

Are you saying G League Ignite is a landing spot for Trey Alexander? If not, then Ignite has little to do with this discussion.

Reaction Score
Are you saying G League Ignite is a landing spot for Trey Alexander? If not, then Ignite has little to do with this discussion.
No what you said was that elite prospects take up 2 way spots which I was pointing out was incorrect on your part.

Reaction Score
Big East added some shooters yesterday:

Chico Carter to DePaul (South Carolina via Murray State) -

6'3 192 GR, 9.8p, 2.0 3PM, 47.6 3P%

DJ Davis to Butler (UC Davis)

6'1 170 SR, 15.0p, 2.6 3PM, 40.2 3p%
I don't understand how DJ Davis could leave a school named after him..........:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Heard. My point is only that different people have different circumstances. If you live in Atlanta ( which I do) live in town and have a family, kids etc… it would be difficult to afford this city on 45k. It can be done but it is not crazy to mention that it could also be difficult for some.
i have friends that live an hour outside of the city and can live well on 45k.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Big East added some shooters yesterday:

Chico Carter to DePaul (South Carolina via Murray State) -

6'3 192 GR, 9.8p, 2.0 3PM, 47.6 3P%

DJ Davis to Butler (UC Davis)

6'1 170 SR, 15.0p, 2.6 3PM, 40.2 3p%
Maybe Stewart and Ross really are more ready in Hurley’s eyes than I figured. Otherwise the lack of urgency to add shooting has been pretty hard to understand

Reaction Score
Im getting excited about what Ross can bring to this team… especially after hearing what a good shooter he is.. from posters who i value their opinion

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley explained this dilemma last week.

“We’re going to have to have patience and kind of some plans in the back of our minds with Tristen and Andre’s situation, if one of them is back, if both of them are back, if neither is back, what we’re gonna look to do,” Hurley said. “But right now I think our focus is, we’re going to return five to seven players from a national championship team. We’ve got an elite recruiting class coming in that’s one of the best in the country and I think a couple of those guys are actually underrated. There’s gonna be a little bit of uncertainty for the next month for us.”
Neither of them are the type of shooter they will need with or without either/both of them. I get it being hard to sell a vision before you have it, but the number of shooter available is only going to decrease from here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom