Big East Transfer Portal Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Big East Transfer Portal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how NIL plays in, could probably just pay him under (or over) the table money. But a recruited athlete can't get any financial aid as a walk on which is what came up in the Drummond and Akok recruitments
No need based aid? Are you sure?

Reaction Score
Baffles me that Nahiem left UConn for the same role he will play at St Johns. A veteran guard/leader off the bench. I wish him the best tho.
It didn't look like the same role in April. I'm sure he realized Slick Rick was going to bring in more guys. But he's stuck now. Time to do your job.

Reaction Score
Pitino already causing havoc in the Big East and a thorn in UConn's side. Top 10 coach and recruiter in NCAA history.
Explain how he’s been “a thorn in UConn’s side”. Not saying he won’t be. But he sure hasn’t yet at St. Johns

Reaction Score
How did they feel about him before he left for SJ
To sum up the long-time season ticket holders I know, one of which is a co-worker of mine: while it's hard to displace away our opinions about his off-the-court choices, it's cool to see Pitino continue the winning tradition at Iona, but we'll see how long he lasts...how did Iona's boosters pull it off???

Reaction Score
Yup. And I’m a huge husky fan, but if you ask me if I want an apt in Mansfield or Jamaica queens, I’m taking Jamaica queens 100 out of 100, so what’s your point?
Ugh. Not me. I’ve lost 2 car stereos there. I’ve only parked overnight there like 4 times!

Reaction Score
This Alleyne situation looks like a big reason why it doesn't pay to commit early if you're a reasonably sought after recruit. Rosters are changing so much over the course of the transfer window, better off waiting and making sure you know exactly what situation you're signing up for.

Also, the idea that a top-40 recruit could "walk on" with a giant NIL bag is ridiculous to me. I'm all for players getting their money, but that just seems like blatantly gaming the system

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would not want to live in NYC or the 5 Boroughs today due to all the crime and violence from DTP policies. It's like Death Wish 3 or Ft Apache the Bronx in real life!

Jeez I wish I knew that before dragging my 8 month old daughter through trains and subway systems all weekend. We couldve been killed!

Reaction Score
Jeez I wish I knew that before dragging my 8 month old daughter through trains and subway systems all weekend. We couldve been killed!
Just out of curiosity…would you let your wife take the subway unaccompanied at 1am or even 11 pm?

Last edited:

BullDawg

UGA Alum, U of South Florida Professor Emeritus
Reaction Score
Back to the BE transfer portal. St. John’s transfer Mohamed Keita is on OV to South Florida today. What do you BYers know about him?

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Also, the idea that a top-40 recruit could "walk on" with a giant NIL bag is ridiculous to me. I'm all for players getting their money, but that just seems like blatantly gaming the system

Isn't this literally how we got Drummond? It just wasn't "NIL" and allowed back then?

Reaction Score
This Alleyne situation looks like a big reason why it doesn't pay to commit early if you're a reasonably sought after recruit. Rosters are changing so much over the course of the transfer window, better off waiting and making sure you know exactly what situation you're signing up for.

On the surface, this looks like a huge mistake by Alleyne. DH would have ensured he had minutes in a familiar scheme on a Top 20 team. Plus, UConn is guaranteed national coverage.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Lol at preferring to live in the woods over the greatest city in the world.
Yeah but equating living in that part of Queens as being in the greatest city in the world is similar to living in a questionable section of Bridgeport and saying that you live in one if the wealthiest counties in the country. Technically it is a correct claim but the end result falls far short.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Yup. And I’m a huge husky fan, but if you ask me if I want an apt in Mansfield or Jamaica queens, I’m taking Jamaica queens 100 out of 100, so what’s your point?
Jackson Heights and Flushing have character. Astoria, for all of its its shortcomings at least has some charm. There are quite a few places to live in the outer boroughs, Jamaica Queens is far down on the list, even if you limit it only to Queens.

Reaction Score
On the surface, this looks like a huge mistake by Alleyne. DH would have ensured he had minutes in a familiar scheme on a Top 20 team. Plus, UConn is guaranteed national coverage.
Alleyne didn't just choose to leave UConn in a vacuum, he was already unhappy with his minutes all season and we were very openly going to recruit over him the same way St John's just did

Reaction Score
Isn't this literally how we got Drummond? It just wasn't "NIL" and allowed back then?
We had 10 scholarships that year so I think we had fully intended to give Drummond a scholarship and legitimately just didn’t have them. Drummond has also talked about having to get a loan so I think it’s a bit different than NIL era. I didn’t really love it then either though.
As a 5th year guy, he was definitely trying to get more minutes to improve his prospects of playing pro. Have to think the assurances Pitino gave him didn’t come to fruition once they got other guys in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom