Big East tourney, implications from the past week’s play | The Boneyard

Big East tourney, implications from the past week’s play

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Currently UConn would be playing the winner of the 8th or 9 seed teams. That would currently be either Providence or Georgetown at Noon Eastern on Saturday March 4th.

St John's vs Marquette the 4th & 5th seed teams and would be playing at 2:30 PM Eastern.

Villanova would be playing the winner of 7th or 10 seed teams, currently Butler or DePaul at 7:00 PM Eastern.

Creighton would be playing the winner of 6th or 11th seed teams, which is currently Xavier or Seton Hall at 9:30 PM Eastern.

Reaction Score
Currently UConn would be playing the winner of the 8th or 9 seed teams. That would currently be either Providence or Georgetown at Noon Eastern on Saturday March 4th.

St John's vs Marquette the 4th & 5th seed teams and would be playing at 2:30 PM Eastern.

Villanova would be playing the winner of 7th or 10 seed teams, currently Butler or DePaul at 7:00 PM Eastern.

Creighton would be playing the winner of 6th or 11th seed teams, which is currently Xavier or Seton Hall at 9:30 PM Eastern.
It will be one of the more exciting tournaments.

Reaction Score
All I want to see is UConn playing and getting a win on Sunday. That's my birthday and I'll be there for the game (and Saturday's).

But in terms of seeding I want UConn to have the easiest path possible. So hoping that UConn gets the 9 seed and some upsets (or at least OT) happen. At this point I think UConn CAN win the BE tourney, but I know there's some teams I'd rather they didn't play again.

Reaction Score

If I may forecast, another game against Marquette. After that Villanova. So, we’ll probably face Providence, Marquette, Villanova. Sounds like good prep for the next tournament.

Reaction Score
Just win baby! Unless Azzi is cleared to play, the rest of the BE season and the tournament will be more of what the last two weeks has been like. Grind it out, refuse to lose, and "with a little bit of bloomin' luck we'll get through."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Here is a cool website that will show the remaining games, the analytical predictions and then calculate the seeds for the brackets. You can make your own edits of the remaining games to predict the seeding.

Other conferences are able to be selected at the top.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why do they even have this tournament? Didn't we just spend 3 months playing all of these teams twice? Isn't that enough torture?
The men have a tournament that’s wildly popular. The women are moving in that direction and as @Longtime fan said, this could be an exciting first step. Wouldn’t it be great to have back to back tournaments at MSG?

Reaction Score
It will be one of the more exciting tournaments.
I can see why all the BIG EAST teams are fighting so hard for the best BE seedings!
Can you imagine a UCONN rematch with Marquette? or Creighton? not to mention
Villanova!! We might have to play two of out three of those teams. Are you ready AZZI?
Get healthy Caroline! The excitement is palpable!

Reaction Score
Just win baby! Unless Azzi is cleared to play, the rest of the BE season and the tournament will be more of what the last two weeks has been like. Grind it out, refuse to lose, and "with a little bit of bloomin' luck we'll get through."
YES!!!!

Reaction Score
The men have a tournament that’s wildly popular. The women are moving in that direction and as @Longtime fan said, this could be an exciting first step. Wouldn’t it be great to have back to back tournaments at MSG?
That would be great but the cost factor prohibits that now due to attendance. The 18,000 at the Indiana -Purdue game is very encouraging though. I am going to the Villanova- Seton Hall game at Walsh next Monday to see Seigrist vs. Park-Lane. I will note the attendance for that game which is important for the Pirates.

Reaction Score
Does anyone in the conference need to make a deep run in the tourney to get into March?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Does anyone in the conference need to make a deep run in the tourney to get into March?
Right now I think that UConn, Nova, Creighton, Marquette are a lock. With Seton Hall and St. John's on the outside looking in.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
UCONN having to play 3 games in 3 days is a tough problem. Good Luck!!
Chicago Fire Nbc GIF by One Chicago

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One likely path is G’town, Marquette, Villanova. We have played close games with ALL of them.

The real reason for the tourney is money. But here’s another reason: It gives Azzi a chance to warm up before the NCAA tourney.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It's tough on every team, not just UConn. The first game that UConn plays will be against the 8/9 seed winner who will have less than a 24 hour turn around against a rested Husky team.

Then if UConn wins they will play the winner of the 4/5 seed teams which should be more competitive than the Huskies game, they will also have less than 24 hours between games.

If UConn wins that they will play against most likely Nova or Creighton, who both should have a tougher time against their opponents then UConn before they play against each other.

I believe that UConn will go up against the following teams, Georgetown in game #4, then Marquette in #8, and finally Nova in game #10. Beating all three for the their 21st Big East Tournament Championship.

Reaction Score
It's tough on every team, not just UConn. The first game that UConn plays will be against the 8/9 seed winner who will have less than a 24 hour turn around against a rested Husky team.

Then if UConn wins they will play the winner of the 4/5 seed teams which should be more competitive than the Huskies game, they will also have less than 24 hours between games.

If UConn wins that they will play against most likely Nova or Creighton, who both should have a tougher time against their opponents then UConn before they play against each other.

I believe that UConn will go up against the following teams, Georgetown in game #4, then Marquette in #8, and finally Nova in game #10. Beating all three for the their 21st Big East Tournament Championship.
A key point also is that we will have 4 solid days of rest in between our last regular season game at home on Monday the 27th and our first tourney game on Saturday. Then we get a full 10 days or so in between after the BE tourney. Then 2 games 2 days apart, then 2 games starting with another 4 days off. It helps us. We just need a healed Azzi.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
With a short bench I agree. With Azzi and Caroline back I think we'll be ok. Dont forget not to many teams will be going more then 7 deep and if Caroline and Azzi are coming off the bench for UConn I think we should be alright.

Reaction Score
Nan, it would be great, but the women's game isn't there yet. After giving blocks of tickets to every team in the tournament, even with the UConn fans willing to travel to NYC, MSG will look woefully empty. The look at Mohegan sun for the non-UConn games isn't good. The sad fact of the matter is that people are not going to go to NYC (not a cheap place) unless they have a lot of emotion invested in most or all of the games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nan, it would be great, but the women's game isn't there yet. After giving blocks of tickets to every team in the tournament, even with the UConn fans willing to travel to NYC, MSG will look woefully empty. The look at Mohegan sun for the non-UConn games isn't good. The sad fact of the matter is that people are not going to go to NYC (not a cheap place) unless they have a lot of emotion invested in most or all of the games.
Vegas would have a better turn-out then MSG because of the lower costs, weather, and other stuff that can be done on tournament off days.

Reaction Score
I've been to BET's at MSG. Great basketball and a great party. It attracts sellout crowds, or it did, because it's outstanding basketball for three days. The womens tournament will never have the same excitement until an 8 seed wins it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom