Big East teams | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No need to answer the question. I never saw the unedited version. Coach Calhoun was not reprimanded for this? He is made for youtube.
soooooo now do you know who Ryan Gomes is

Reaction Score
I think WVU is the only quality loss, don't care about SU or Pitt as far as WBB goes. Don't care for SU coach either, but will miss WVU coach and players, always pretty classy and tough.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think WVU is the only quality loss, don't care about SU or Pitt as far as WBB goes. Don't care for SU coach either, but will miss WVU coach and players, always pretty classy and tough.

why not?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
why not?
Can't speak for PhanTom, DC, but I don't care for "Q" either. In my case, it goes back to the extremely physical, trash-talking game that SU played his first year (I think), and the trip of Geno in the handshake line.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Can't speak for PhanTom, DC, but I don't care for "Q" either. In my case, it goes back to the extremely physical, trash-talking game that SU played his first year (I think), and the trip of Geno in the handshake line.
when you say "dont care for" is it personal or just WCBB "dont care for"...

wow some just hold onto stuff forever.

BTW Geno & Q sat together watching a few BE Tourney last season... seems that they aren't "tripping" over the handshake line incident!

physical & trash-talking... this isnt chess or a spelling bee!

maybe its just me... I cant "dont care for" someone I never met. so hopefully its just "WCBB dont care for" and not personal

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Yeah, having never met the man, it's more "WCBB don't care for". And, yeah, I do hold on to stuff a long time - except, to me, that's not that long ago. What, a few years? Nothing, DC, nothing. I'm slow to draw offense, but very slow to release it.

And, I'm actually glad to hear that the coaches seem to get past all of this sort of stuff. And, I know it's not chess - but, if I recall correctly, the UConn players were shocked at the level it was at, and were complaining about it during a time-out in the first half. Now, they know the standard of behavior at the highest level of WBB far better than I do, and if they were offended, well...

As I recall, Geno just said "what do you want to do about it?" and the team, led by Renee, said "bury their ass (more or less)", and Geno said, "well, do it.".
And they did. And, one of the SU players tried to "fight back" by attempting to trip a HOF coach in the handshake line. So, yeah, I do hold on to that for a while.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, having never met the man, it's more "WCBB don't care for". And, yeah, I do hold on to stuff a long time - except, to me, that's not that long ago. What, a few years? Nothing, DC, nothing. I'm slow to draw offense, but very slow to release it.

And, I'm actually glad to hear that the coaches seem to get past all of this sort of stuff. And, I know it's not chess - but, if I recall correctly, the UConn players were shocked at the level it was at, and were complaining about it during a time-out in the first half. Now, they know the standard of behavior at the highest level of WBB far better than I do, and if they were offended, well...

As I recall, Geno just said "what do you want to do about it?" and the team, led by Renee, said "bury their ass (more or less)", and Geno said, "well, do it.".
And they did. And, one of the SU players tried to "fight back" by attempting to trip a HOF coach in the handshake line. So, yeah, I do hold on to that for a while.
And Maya scored 40?

Reaction Score
It is incredible how long "fans" can hold on to animosities long since forgotten from which all concerned parties have moved on. Spouses disagree, rarely with lingering animosity. Friends disagree, rarely with lingering animosity, relatives disagree, rarely with lingering animosity. Employers and employees disagree, rarely with lingering animosity. But let a player from a program coached by someone not quite in Coach Auriemma's club of cronies act irresponsibly once, lingering animosity. It takes very little thought to figure out which teams and which coaches are least liked/respected here on the Boneyard. Fair to say, we can eliminate DePaul, Villanova, and Notre Dame right away .

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
It is incredible how long "fans" can hold on to animosities long since forgotten from which all concerned parties have moved on. Spouses disagree, rarely with lingering animosity. Friends disagree, rarely with lingering animosity, relatives disagree, rarely with lingering animosity. Employers and employees disagree, rarely with lingering animosity. But let a player from a program coached by someone not quite in Coach Auriemma's club of cronies act irresponsibly once, lingering animosity. It takes very little thought to figure out which teams and which coaches are least liked/respected here on the Boneyard. Fair to say, we can eliminate DePaul, Villanova, and Notre Dame right away .
my only strong disagreement here, VA, is your putting "fans" in quotation marks: I've been following the team since '95, and attend several games per year. I'm not a "fan", I'm a fan. I don't like thuggish behavior, on the court or off of it, and I don't forget it. It's that simple.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
my only strong disagreement here, VA, is your putting "fans" in quotation marks: I've been following the team since '95, and attend several games per year. I'm not a "fan", I'm a fan. I don't like thuggish behavior, on the court or off of it, and I don't forget it. It's that simple.

All of sport is based on fans holding grudges. Without them, how do we know who to cheer for or against?

Reaction Score
Agree...And we had players injured up there, too, IIRC. The game mentioned did feature the SU girls dirty play. And they wouldn't have been doing it without their coach's okay, so I have no use for Q either.

Reaction Score
... The last players I recall were players like Carlton Shields and God Shammgod; Very likely well over a decade ago.

God Shammgod - the inspiration for the greatest ever Boneyard poster handle - Dog Shammdog.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Hammarskjöld?
I thought I might attract you with that utterance. Given the delay I thought maybe it was just going to crash and burn.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Agree...And we had players injured up there, too, IIRC. The game mentioned did feature the SU girls acting like thugs--not hard play but dirty play. And they wouldn't have been doing it without their coach's okay, so I have no use for Q either.
so is it personal to you?

If you are alone with Q on an elevator would you ignore him or say "good luck Coach".

and TJI... very true but how deep is that grudge, if CViv was begging for you help in a dark alley would you ignore her? (I seriously think some would but lets see who would admit it on a MB)

Im a Lakers/Magic Johnson fan... but I dont have a grudge against Bird, Ainge, McHale, Parrish, Maxwell (or Irving, Dawkins, Bobby Jones, Lionel Hollins ) etc.

This is where I think fans miss out on enjoying talented athletes... holding grudges.

Im like Geno did to 'cuse... shake hands before the game, kick a** during the game, shake hands after the game, and laugh at them losers later on! (all that rough "thuggish" play and we still stomped the he** outta them).

(just amazes me but...)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
(just amazes me but...)

I guess I'm more amazed that you feel the need to call people out every time they express antipathy of any sort. Or presume to challenge their right to feel such emotions. Sorta like you have a grudge against them, or something.

While I appreciate you blowing a "grudge" out of proportion, it helps you miss the point. It's about the game and what happens on the court, not in an elevator or a dark alley.

I have a "grudge' against Nancy Darsch because she coached the Lib out of the playoffs in 1998. That didn't prevent me from welcoming her back to the Garden during the Maggie Dixon Classic. That also doesn't mean I don't kinda wish the Mystics lose every single game (they hired her after the Lib fired her). And it doesn't mean that Vicky Bullet isn't one of my favorite players.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I guess I'm more amazed that you feel the need to call people out every time they express antipathy of any sort. Or presume to challenge their right to feel such emotions. Sorta like you have a grudge against them, or something.

While I appreciate you blowing a "grudge" out of proportion, it helps you miss the point. It's about the game and what happens on the court, not in an elevator or a dark alley.

I have a "grudge' against Nancy Darsch because she coached the Lib out of the playoffs in 1998. That didn't prevent me from welcoming her back to the Garden during the Maggie Dixon Classic. That also doesn't mean I don't kinda wish the Mystics lose every single game (they hired her after the Lib fired her). And it doesn't mean that Vicky Bullet isn't one of my favorite players.
well said... just trying to understand if its more than basketball. "dont care for" "hate" "thuggish" etc. are words/phrases that can be taken a few ways so all Im asking for is clarification.

If I "dont care for" some I mean it 24/7/365... not just on the basketball court and that means they did something to me personally.

thanks for clearing it up for me, enjoy the rest of your wknd! Go Huskies

Reaction Score
so is it personal to you?
Yup, I guess it is...as personal as it can be with someone I've never met, and probably never will.

If you are alone with Q on an elevator would you ignore him or say "good luck Coach".
I'm not chatty in elevators as a rule

and TJI... very true but how deep is that grudge, if CViv was begging for you help in a dark alley would you ignore her? (I seriously think some would but lets see who would admit it on a MB)

I'd help anyone in that situation, including Q, or you!

Im a Lakers/Magic Johnson fan... but I dont have a grudge against Bird, Ainge, McHale, Parrish, Maxwell (or Irving, Dawkins, Bobby Jones, Lionel Hollins ) etc.

This is where I think fans miss out on enjoying talented athletes... holding grudges.

Im like Geno did to 'cuse... shake hands before the game, kick a** during the game, shake hands after the game, and laugh at them losers later on! (all that rough "thuggish" play and we still stomped the he** outta them).

(just amazes me but...)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
An example of how I feel about what you are discussing:

In a strictly Basketball sense, I don't care for Andy Landers. I think he doesn't seem to get the best out of his players, I think he is over the top on the sidelines, and he has RU's number pretty much.

When I was standing next to him in a concession line at a WBCA high school game, I said "Good Season, Coach" (it probably wasn't by his standards, but he made the NCAA's). He said "Thanks".

I cannot think of any WBB person - regardless of how I feel about them in a WBB sense - that I would treat differently.

Reaction Score
Agree...And we had players injured up there, too, IIRC. The game mentioned did feature the SU girls acting like thugs--not hard play but dirty play. And they wouldn't have been doing it without their coach's okay, so I have no use for Q either.

There were two devastating injuries in successive years against Syracuse neither of which involved contact with a Syracuse player. In the Syracuse game two years ago, Erica Morrow was ejected for throwing her arm in air in the direction of Tiffany Hayes coming off of a pile, and was ejected. It was clear cut, the right call was made. there were no objections.

We have all aware of the post game comments made about the way Syracuse played that game in Hartford. Those of us watching the game on television could not discern undue physicality, nor was it ever brought to our attention by Beth Mowins and Brooke Weisbrod. Did it escape their attention also? There was not an undue number of fouls called, so did it escape the officials' attention?
What has not escaped my attention is the fact that Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis was in attendance that afternoon. Seeing Maya drain 10 three pointers had to have influenced her decision. After all, despite the scare Syracuse threw into them the year before, Syracuse was not going to beat UConn. It was a game destined to challenge the upper levels of the boredom scale. Yet, three years later, it is a game still discussed adamantly. Not so much for Maya's great performance, the milestones achieved that night, or any other UConn positive. all we can dwell on is the dirty play and the inappropriate behavior of Ms Michael. BTW: Was Ms Michael so much as reprimanded for this incident. Did the Big East investigate it? Did they, as I suspect, choose to call it a wash so as not to punish Coach Auriemma?

I attended last year's Syracuse game at Gampel, watched with extreme scrutiny, and was amazed at how much differently the posters reported the game as opposed to the game I saw.

That is one heck of an accusation to accuse a coach of encouraging dirty play. Have you read or heard of Syracuse playing like that against other teams? Does Syracuse have a reputation for dirty play. Is it possible that the Big East would condone such physicality? Is it possible the NCAA would condone such physicality?

Mechelle Voepel wrote a very nice blog after the incident, which I just read for the first time a minute ago:
http://voepel.wordpress.com/2009/01/23/about-the-geno-vs-syracuse-thing/

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep, absolutely. I hate the Yankees with every breath I take, but I admire Derek Jeter, Joe Torre and several other men that had the misfortune to wear the pinstripes. I wish all the best for a long, fruitful and happy life for Pat Summitt but hope Coach Summitt never wins another game. And so it goes in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom