Big East Says It's Going to 12(!!) football schools | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Big East Says It's Going to 12(!!) football schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If we're going to 12, we need more than Navy, AFA, and BYU. ECU has more clout than Temple even if you refuse to acknowledge it. Just look at their record, their stadium, and their attendance. In a BCS conference there is no reason they can't compete with UNC and NC State. They're better than Duke, and have more potential than WF.

IMO, BYU is not coming to the Big East. They will go Big 12 or stay independent. What makes you think BYU is even a possibility?

This is all speculation and clearly our opinions are as big of a guess as the next guys. But we have AQ status still and if we fought hard I feel could get those 4 schools (especially if Missouri stays). ECU's record and attendance are impressive, yes. But they have no national exposure. This does nothing for TV contracts and bowls. You can make the argument that most BE school's don't have that either but we should be looking for the best available to improve our next deal. I still don't get the point of over saturated conferences and think getting to 10 teams with solid schools is better than getting to 12 with weak schools. Again, this is all opinion, nothing 100% fact based.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East football conference should focus on teams in the geographical area, not teams 2000 miles away. I would see if UMASS would be willing to join. Same with Temple. See if Villanova will upgrade.

I am in agreement on UMass. It is better than ECU or UCF or Memphis long-term, because what will save the BCS bid is markets, not random schools in a league. And UMass is much better than the alternatives academically. I would prefer my 16 team east/west split i proposed earlier, but if it is to be just 12 and Boise and most western schools are out of the picture, then I think UMass makes the cut.

We don't need two Philly teams, and Villanova's heart isn't into this. Take Temple and move on.

Reaction Score
There is nothing wrong with adding schools in Texas. Having two teams in Texas and two in Florida is in the best long term interests of the football conference.

With the talent pool and the level of college football enthusiasm in those states, having multiple teams there seems like a no-brainer ...

On another note, the service academies bring an academic and patriotic cache that would make up for any possible on the field struggles. It would look downright unAmerican to strip that conference of it's AQ status.

Reaction Score
But adding SMU won't?

No, adding SMU won't. They are a superior program with a superior history, market, and on field product in a fertile recruiting ground where people care about college football. They also have a billion dollar endowment.

Reaction Score
But adding SMU won't?
Where did I say we should add SMU and nobody else?

SMU is ranked in the low 30's in computer polls right now. They are 30 in the Harris Poll.

Where are UMass and Villanova ranked? You're aware that the BCS uses computer rankings as part of the evaluation for which conference maintain AQ status right?

Reaction Score
This is all speculation and clearly our opinions are as big of a guess as the next guys. But we have AQ status still and if we fought hard I feel could get those 4 schools (especially if Missouri stays). ECU's record and attendance are impressive, yes. But they have no national exposure. This does nothing for TV contracts and bowls. You can make the argument that most BE school's don't have that either but we should be looking for the best available to improve our next deal. I still don't get the point of over saturated conferences and think getting to 10 teams with solid schools is better than getting to 12 with weak schools. Again, this is all opinion, nothing 100% fact based.
So what makes you think we can get BYU? Just because we have a BCS bid? You don't think the Big 12 would step in the way they did with TCU if it appeared BYU was going to go to the Big East?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So what makes you think we can get BYU? Just because we have a BCS bid? You don't think the Big 12 would step in the way they did with TCU if it appeared BYU was going to go to the Big East?
Probably. But that would mean one less current BE team removed.

Reaction Score
I am in agreement on UMass. It is better than ECU or UCF or Memphis long-term, because what will save the BCS bid is markets, not random schools in a league.

Markets???

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bcs_explained.html

Standards For Future BCS Automatic Qualification
The champions of the Atlantic Coast, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and Southeastern Conferences will have annual automatic qualification for a BCS game through the 2013 regular season, based on mathematical standards of performance during the 2004-2007 regular seasons.
The 2008-2011 regular seasons will be evaluated under the same standards to determine if other conferences will have annual automatic qualification for the games after the 2012 and 2013 regular seasons. The champions of no more than seven conferences will have annual automatic berths.
If the BCS continues under the same or similar format, conferences will be evaluated on their performances during the 2010-2013 regular seasons to determine which conferences will have automatic qualification for the bowls that will conclude the 2014-2017 regular seasons.
The evaluation data includes the following for each conference (1) the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings each year, (2) the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCS each year and (3) the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS standings each year.
Conference agreements with bowls will continue. The Pac-10 and Big Ten champions will host the Rose Bowl if their teams are not in the BCS national championship game. Likewise, the Southeastern Conference champion will host the Sugar Bowl, ACC champion will host the Orange Bowl and Big 12 champion will host the Fiesta Bowl.

Reaction Score
Probably. But that would mean one less current BE team removed.
I'm not opposed to adding BYU. My goal has always been to retain the BCS status. In that respect, Boise, BYU, and Navy need to be at the top of the list. Then UCF, SMU, and Houston.

If we could add those 6, I would be happy. I don't think we can get BYU though, and I think Boise is a long shot.

Reaction Score
There has also been rumors of issues between BYU and the Big12. Not saying it's not happening, but there might be an opportunity there...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not opposed to adding BYU. My goal has always been to retain the BCS status. In that respect, Boise, BYU, and Navy need to be at the top of the list. Then UCF, SMU, and Houston.

If we could add those 6, I would be happy. I don't think we can get BYU though, and I think Boise is a long shot.

I'm less invested in the specific teams, but your suggestion has merit.

When this all plays out, it is obvious there won't be 100% satisfaction with all UConn fans or BE universities. Everyone has their own idea of what is best for their university (in our case UConn) and for the BE. I think it is less important that our ideas become sacrosanct and more important to rally behind whatever effort Herbst undertakes, whether that is to get into another conference or to save the BE.

I think there are a lot of well meaning people who are losing themselves in this process and are taking their suggestions personally. These people will ultimately resent any configuration for UConn that doesn't meet their approval. And this will result in their attempt to see that configuration fail. That is not UConn serving, that is self serving. And it impedes success for the university.

Reaction Score
Thinking outside the box . . .Why don't we raid the ACC and invite, say, NC State and MD to join us? I know the chances of this happening is, at best, infinitesimal considering the $20 million buyout fee and maybe other stipulations the conference has placed on its members.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The evaluation data includes the following for each conference (1) the ranking of the highest-ranked team in the final BCS standings each year, (2) the final regular-season rankings of all conference teams in the computer rankings used by the BCS each year and (3) the number of teams in the top 25 of the final BCS standings each year.

Could you shed light on what they mean by "Final BCS Standings"?

For instance, 2010, Cincy finished the regular season #3, but then they were blown out by Florida in the Sugar Bowl. So, logically, they would've dropped in a "Final BCS Standings". However, when you go to the BCS site, it appears that the Final Standings on record are the ones compiled at the end of the regular season.

Reaction Score
Thinking outside the box . . .Why don't we raid the ACC and invite, say, NC State and MD to join us? I know the chances of this happening is, at best, infinitesimal considering the $20 million buyout fee and maybe other stipulations the conference has placed on its members.

Not trying to be a smart-ass but it would seem you have answered your own question.

Reaction Score

Invite BCU as well.

Reaction Score
Could you shed light on what they mean by "Final BCS Standings"?

For instance, 2010, Cincy finished the regular season #3, but then they were blown out by Florida in the Sugar Bowl. So, logically, they would've dropped in a "Final BCS Standings". However, when you go to the BCS site, it appears that the Final Standings on record are the ones compiled at the end of the regular season.
I think it's the final regular season rankings that matter. For instance UConn finished 25th (i think) in the BCS poll in 2007 despite losing to Wake Forest in the bowl game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Minor point, but I really think the BE needs to change its name as the new conference will basically be a collection on Independent schools. Call it Big America, All American Conference, Independent League, whatever. Leave the Big East name for basketball and Olympic sports which are still formidable and have a true 'East'ern flavor.

How about Formerly Unaligned Conference of Universities? You can work out the acronym on your own.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think they should also invite Concordia & the University of Toronto. Imagine it.

"Hey, SEC, you may have won the last 5 BCS title games, but the Varsity Blues have won the Grey Cup FOUR TIMES! TAKE THAT!"

Reaction Score
Temple, Navy, Army, Buffalo, UCF, ECU.
UConn, Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, Cincy, USF

That's probably what your looking at folks. Tell me that conference couldn't whip up on the ACC in football? Their best three may be better than our best three but after that...

Reaction Score
Temple, Navy, Army, Buffalo, UCF, ECU.
UConn, Rutgers, WVU, Louisville, Cincy, USF

That's probably what your looking at folks. Tell me that conference couldn't whip up on the ACC in football? Their best three may be better than our best three but after that...
Yeah, but what are the chances that Uconn, RU, WVU and Louie agree to commit to the big east. According to stories today, these four refused to sign on to higher exit fees. Starting to get real dumb, as far as I'm concerned. Crabs in a barrel. Maybe one or two get out, but its better to stick together for the common good.

Reaction Score
Not trying to be a smart-ass but it would seem you have answered your own question.
HartbeatHusky, I think some of these "new members" may just be pulling your leg. It's troll season here. Be careful backing up you might run one over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom