Big East Says It's Going to 12(!!) football schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I'll find a link but I got it from Andy Katz and Brett McMurphy on Twitter:

McMurphyCBSBrett McMurphy

Big East authorization by presidents was in morning teleconference today. Question is which 12 do they end up?

ESPNAndyKatzAndy Katz

Big East releases a statement that it is ready to look at a 12-team football model. Let the speculation begin.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I think that's actually good news. It means they're considering more than just Army, Navy, Air Force to replace 'Cuse and Pitt. It really does help long term viability...

Reaction Score
I think that's actually good news. It means they're considering more than just Army, Navy, Air Force to replace 'Cuse and Pitt. It really does help long term viability...

Navy said no thanks. You think adding Memphis, SMU or someone along those lines with save the NBE a BCS bid ??!?!

Reaction Score
Navy said no thanks. You think adding Memphis, SMU or someone along those lines with save the NBE in football ??!?!

Navy didnt say "no thanks", they said "get your house in order and make a plan then call us back."

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I thought it would just be an expansion back to 8, perhaps to 10. 12? Didn't think that was on the table. Now that there are 6 spots to fill, it seems like any and everyone who has expressed interest in the Big East can sign up.

Reaction Score
I am putting my money on 6 of any of the following schools:
UCF, Temple, SMU, Houston, ECU, Army, Navy, and Air Force
I don't think Boise St is interested. Going to 12 also provides stability incase Louisville, WVU, us, or Rutgers moves on to greener pastures. Just one quick thing to ponder...if Boise was asked and said yes...and going to 12 allowed for a conference championship game...the winner of a Boise St/WVU BE championship game would be a pretty competitive foe in a BCS game

Reaction Score
Minor point, but I really think the BE needs to change its name as the new conference will basically be a collection on Independent schools. Call it Big America, All American Conference, Independent League, whatever. Leave the Big East name for basketball and Olympic sports which are still formidable and have a true 'East'ern flavor.

Reaction Score
I don't think Boise St is interested. Going to 12 also provides stability incase Louisville, WVU, us, or Rutgers moves on to greener pastures. Just one quick thing to ponder...if Boise was asked and said yes...and going to 12 allowed for a conference championship game...the winner of a Boise St/WVU BE championship game would be a pretty competitive foe in a BCS game

I hope they do it so there are some natural rivalries and symmetry in terms of travel (and recruiting). So for example: USF/UCF (Florida), SMU/Houston (Texas), Air Force/BYU (West), Army/Navy (Military Academies)

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Navy said no thanks. You think adding Memphis, SMU or someone along those lines with save the NBE in football ??!?!

Nope... I think we're going to ultimately end up in the ACC. I do think there's a slim chance the Big East survives as is... and that ultimately if you're going to attempt to remain viable you can't just slap a band aid on.

I'm pragmatic... I think the best chance the Big East has to survive is to add schools quickly... add enough to be a real true viable football conference... and to get them established as soon as possible. I think going to 12 schools is a positive sign because it means the football schools are getting more say in things.. if it were up to just the basketball schools they'd try to just replace 'Cuse and Pitt and leave it at that. Do I think the long term viability of the Big East is good? Nope... but IF it's going to work at all they can't just add two teams.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
UConn
Rutgers
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Navy

Air Force
Boise St
Houston
SMU
USF
UCF

Natural partners for travel (UConn/Rutgers, Louisville/Cincinnati, WVU/Navy, Air Force/Boise St, Houston/SMU, USF/UCF). Two of them will get full conference invites (UCF, Houston ???), while the rest will be football only members.

Reaction Score
If Air Force is in the picture, Boise could and definitely should be. They would help save BCS status by replacing TCU with no net loss.

My best guess (but not my preference), UCF, Boise, Air Force, Navy, Temple, and ECU. With SMU, Houston, Memphis possibly replacing any of the first 6.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The key to the expansion is that we need to find at least two teams who can join the conference immediately in 2012. You need to establish two teams as members of the conference for 2 full season while we still have Syracuse and Pitt locked into the conference. The NCAA/BCS rules stipulate that you must have at least 8 teams in a conference which have been BCS schools for at least 2 years. If we do not get two teams established before Syracuse and Pitt leave, then the conference BCS AQ is automatically relinquished.

Navy is independent....so they fit that criteria. We need to find at least one more program that can join for 2012 in order to estabish the 8 team base.

This is my understanding of the NCAA/BCS minimum conference requirements.

Reaction Score
If Air Force is in the picture, Boise could and definitely should be. They would help save BCS status by replacing TCU with no net loss.

My best guess, UCF, Boise, Air Force, Navy, Temple, and ECU. With SMU, Houston, Memphis possibly replacing any of the first 6.

Thats good question, do you think Temple would come back?

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Southern Mississippi always seems like at least as viable an option as Memphis to me. Better football program.. less in state BCS competition.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Absolutely. I know it sucks that the Big East got raided... but the Big East is still in a better position than everybody else who's not in the BCS. They'll come back...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Southern Mississippi always seems like at least as viable an option as Memphis to me. Better football program.. less in state BCS competition.

What about Ole Miss and Miss State?

Reaction Score
Definitely. They would be crazy to turn down an invitation. A watered down Big East with a BCS bid is still a better than strong MAC conference with no BCS bid. Worst case, they end up back in another conference with no BCS bid. There's minimal risk and a lot to gain.

Unfortunately Philly is a pro-town, and like BCU, they will never be a big fish in their own town. But if we decide go to 12, I believe they are one of the 6.

Reaction Score
UConn
Rutgers
WVU
Louisville
Cincinnati
Navy

Air Force
Boise St
Houston
SMU
USF
UCF

Natural partners for travel (UConn/Rutgers, Louisville/Cincinnati, WVU/Navy, Air Force/Boise St, Houston/SMU, USF/UCF). Two of them will get full conference invites (UCF, Houston ???), while the rest will be football only members.

That's a fine conference. Love to get BYU if possible...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom