Big East Says It's Going to 12(!!) football schools | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East Says It's Going to 12(!!) football schools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Other than WVU, nobody in the conference has respect/support/exposure on a national level in football. And while the acadamies do have some support nationally, let's not overstate their value. The PAC 10 or Big 12 aren't hard after Air Force even though they are better fit. The ACC isn't interested in Navy as far as we know. Nobody is looking to add Army.

BYU would obviously be attractive, but we can't land them. Boise is a longshot, and BYU is in a stronger position than Boise.

I believe ECU has been almost or as good as Navy in the computers, which we need for our BCS status.

Actually Air Force's AD said they had a B12 invite in hand, and turned it down, because they didn't feel they could recruit and compete against Texas, Oklahoma and OK State.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This really is a blank slate, and there are a lot of different ways to play this. Should keep the boards busy.

Nothing will happen without the Big East 6 agreeing to hold tight.

Reaction Score
There is definitely some validity to that statement but I still think the larger market of Philly is going to trump whatever concerns there are of whether Temple actually delivers it. I don't think we leave Philly, Dallas, Houston, or Orlando on the board. Even if people don't go to the games there is the potential for a large TV audience in Philly by adding Temple. ECU is in a small market where they will not be able to compete against the established ACC teams for TV eyes.

I don't think it's fair to assume ECU can't compete. Where as Temple has already had a record of not being able to compete. Both on the field and in the market.

I'd rather go for a product with potential in a competitive environment that loves college football, than a product with potential where there is virtually no market for college football despite how many people live there.

Reaction Score
My guess is you will see 16 schools for all sports up from the current 14 8 FB schools and 8 bb schools

So you would add 2 out of Temple, UCF, Memphis, Houston to get to 16

then add 4 schools for FB only, AFA, Navy, Army, Boise State, etc...

I honestly would like Boise State but kind of doubt it will happen. I think it's more likely we end up with 18 all sports members with only Navy and Air Force for football only. Also I don't think Memphis is really in the mix right now but who knows. Some coaches have mentioned them.

Reaction Score
Actually Air Force's AD said they had a B12 invite in hand, and turned it down, because they didn't feel they could recruit and compete against Texas, Oklahoma and OK State.
I stand corrected. Bad decision by them. Vanderbilt can't recruit and compete against most of the SEC but it's still a better home than the Sun Belt.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Navy said no thanks. You think adding Memphis, SMU or someone along those lines with save the NBE a BCS bid ??!?!
SMU and Houston would go a long way towards this.

Reaction Score
SMU and Houston would go a long way towards this.

They are both clearly playing at a BCS level so far this season. They are in Dallas and Houston. They have football history. If they don't get the invite it will truly be a missed opportunity.

Reaction Score
I'd love to get BYU. If the AFA is in, we need to be on the horn with them...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nope... I think we're going to ultimately end up in the ACC. I do think there's a slim chance the Big East survives as is... and that ultimately if you're going to attempt to remain viable you can't just slap a band aid on.

I'm pragmatic... I think the best chance the Big East has to survive is to add schools quickly... add enough to be a real true viable football conference... and to get them established as soon as possible. I think going to 12 schools is a positive sign because it means the football schools are getting more say in things.. if it were up to just the basketball schools they'd try to just replace 'Cuse and Pitt and leave it at that. Do I think the long term viability of the Big East is good? Nope... but IF it's going to work at all they can't just add two teams.
I think this development, if true, indicates the bb schools are throwing their weight into this process. Let's face it the BE is a lousy football conference but still an excellent bb conference even with the loss of Cuse and Pitt. So bring in Temple for all sports. That at least brings in a comparable bb program to Pitt and a better football program than Cuse.

So the BE bb schools are being very pragmatic.

This development may mean that the ACC won't necessarily be the prohibited best bb conference. And a lot of the teams being thrown about for football only are certainly an upgrade for Cuse and comparable for Pitt. This could mean that the next contract will be favorable. It might even be comparable to whatever the ACC negotiates. If I were the BE I would be contacting the various media peoples and ask which teams they would be interested in seeing in the NBE conference and what they might consider offering in the way of a contract. The media players can't approach the BE but the BE can approach the media.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
So bring in Temple for all sports. That at least brings in a comparable bb program to Cuse and a better football program than Cuse.

I hate Cuse as much as anyone else here...but did you really just say that with a straight face? Syracuse is light years ahead of Temple in basketball, and a step above Temple in football. To say that Temple is anywhere near Temple in terms of basketball is just not being intellectually honest.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
This should and could have been done 2 years ago. The BE would still have Pitt and 'Cuse and be negotiating a killer TV contract. But that would require being proactive and the Providence crew has proven to be a very reactive.

I hope they are smart enough to let all the other re-alignment matters get worked out before making their big push to 12 teams. I get the feeling that none of the other conferences want to be the final executioner of the BE, but if they can pluck a couple from a group of 12 rather than a group of 6, the B-12 may feel comfortable grabbing L'ville, Cincy and or WVU.

They were considering this before Cuse and Pitt bolted. These two schools wanted different pastures because either they liked the ACC more than the BE in Cuse's case or because they thought WV was going to the SEC in Pitt's case. The bb schools didn't act badly. The BE couldn't prevent its football schools from wanting something else.

I would love this new conference to come about. And I would love it to be more successful than the ACC just to give payback to Swofford, BC, Miami, Cuse and Pitt. But more than the payback I would love the success to take place to demonstrate that going for the immediate payoff can sometimes end up shooting yourself in the foot.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I hate Cuse as much as anyone else here...but did you really just say that with a straight face? Syracuse is light years ahead of Temple in basketball, and a step above Temple in football. To say that Temple is anywhere near Temple in terms of basketball is just not being intellectually honest.
I meant to say Temple is comparable to Pitt in BB. Typed to fast. Sorry. Pitt has been successful for a decade. Temple has had a much longer tradition of being successful in bb than Pitt. It went through a period of being down, but it is on the rise again. It isn't at the level of Pitt currently but not far behind. I agree it is no where's near the level of Cuse.

Cuse holds the history over Temple in football by far. Right now Cuse is not much ahead of Temple in football. I would love to see that change and it is possible.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Personally, this looks like a long term disaster to me. A conference destined to remain a mid-America conference. Army, Navy, Air Force, Houston, SMU these will never be programs that BCS desires to affiliate with long term. TV revenue will be weak.

Reaction Score
The Big East football conference should focus on teams in the geographical area, not teams 2000 miles away. I would see if UMASS would be willing to join. Same with Temple. See if Villanova will upgrade.

Reaction Score
The Big East football conference should focus on teams in the geographical area, not teams 2000 miles away. I would see if UMASS would be willing to join. Same with Temple. See if Villanova will upgrade.

Nova can't join until 2014. They are out of this initial push to 12 for that reason. UMass is simply not going to help with recruiting or our BCS standing. There is nothing wrong with adding schools in Texas. Having two teams in Texas and two in Florida is in the best long term interests of the football conference.

Reaction Score
Other than WVU, nobody in the conference has respect/support/exposure on a national level in football. And while the acadamies do have some support nationally, let's not overstate their value. The PAC 10 or Big 12 aren't hard after Air Force even though they are better fit. The ACC isn't interested in Navy as far as we know. Nobody is looking to add Army.

BYU would obviously be attractive, but we can't land them. Boise is a longshot, and BYU is in a stronger position than Boise.

I believe ECU has been almost or as good as Navy in the computers, which we need for our BCS status.

I am going based on what is available. ACC won't take Navy because they don't need to and have better options. Big East is desperate here and I feel that the service academies and BYU are our best bets. Remember we still do have a BCS bid to offer. Take advantage of this power and get some teams with clout rather than the ECU and Temple's of the world.

Reaction Score

The only way to guarantee that the reconstituted conference does not retain AQ status is to limit ourselves geographically.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I wish we could add the 3 Academies (Army, Navy, Air Force) and BYU as football only members. Basketball won't get out of hand and we can have an opt out clause if the Big East does dissolve (aka UConn gets an invite to the ACC). That gives 10 football teams and the new four come in with a definite following. Additionally traveling partners would be UC-Rut, Cinci-L-ville, WVU-USF, Army-Navy, -BYU. This seems ideal but i know it won't happen.
We get those schools and the new conference name can be the Militant Religious Conference. Or MeRCy Conference.

Reaction Score
I am going based on what is available. ACC won't take Navy because they don't need to and have better options. Big East is desperate here and I feel that the service academies and BYU are our best bets. Remember we still do have a BCS bid to offer. Take advantage of this power and get some teams with clout rather than the ECU and Temple's of the world.
If we're going to 12, we need more than Navy, AFA, and BYU. ECU has more clout than Temple even if you refuse to acknowledge it. Just look at their record, their stadium, and their attendance. In a BCS conference there is no reason they can't compete with UNC and NC State. They're better than Duke, and have more potential than WF.

IMO, BYU is not coming to the Big East. They will go Big 12 or stay independent. What makes you think BYU is even a possibility?

Reaction Score
This will guarantee we lose BCS status. 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22