Big East=Recruitment Advantage? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East=Recruitment Advantage?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The AAC was a total drag on recruiting. Changing conferences has already helped both programs.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seriously? UCONN is UCONN. If a recruit doesn't come to UCONN I can't see how it has anything to do with the conference, at least on the Women's side.. It's UCONN baby. Come and be part of history.
i used to believe like you that conference did not matter until Haley Jones told me different.
Paraphrase: She said one of the reasons she chose Stanford over UCONN was to play in one of the best WCBB conferences where she would be challenged nigh in and night out.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
i used to believe like you that conference did not matter until Haley Jones told me different.
Paraphrase: She said one of the reasons she chose Stanford over UCONN was to play in one of the best WCBB conferences where she would be challenged nigh in and night out.
Well UCONN in the AAC or BE isn't gonna be challenged night in and night out.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It goes back to the original article, which I admit I didn't read. But the truth of the matter is that the advantages for UConn will be subtle, as the Big East isn't (against UConn) much more of a challenge than the AAC.

What the problem with the BE is - and probably the AAC and most non-P5's - is that the facilities at a lot of the schools are just not going to attract the best of recruits. It doesn't mean they cannot be successful, but collectively they don't have the success of most P5 conferences because of money lacking and one of the places that is felt is in facilities.

Conversely, a fair number of the BE schools (and even the AAC schools) do invest in their Men's BB programs. It will be interesting to see if the BE can elevate its Women's side to be consistently closely competitive with the P5 conferences. Right now, it isn't. Some of the teams are, but collectively, it is the next step down.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It goes back to the original article, which I admit I didn't read. But the truth of the matter is that the advantages for UConn will be subtle, as the Big East isn't (against UConn) much more of a challenge than the AAC.
What the problem with the BE is - and probably the AAC and most non-P5's - is that the facilities at a lot of the schools are just not going to attract the best of recruits. It doesn't mean they cannot be successful, but collectively they don't have the success of most P5 conferences because of money lacking and one of the places that is felt is in facilities.
Conversely, a fair number of the BE schools (and even the AAC schools) do invest in their Men's BB programs. It will be interesting to see if the BE can elevate its Women's side to be consistently closely competitive with the P5 conferences. Right now, it isn't. Some of the teams are, but collectively, it is the next step down.
One other aspect that is being highly overstated is the nostalgic angle of UCONN's return to the BE. This angle was overly hyped during the Seton Hall broadcast and also last night during the ND vs Depaul. That BE is gone. There is no ND, PITT, West virginia, Boston College, Rutgers, Louisville or Syracuse. Villanova is still there but Harry is retiring.

Reaction Score
As far as football is concerned unless someone was from that area of the country or went to that school (AAC) does anyone really care about not playing any of those teams again? Uconn may even make more money by being scheduled (although as a cupcake) by Power Five teams. Just the lessening of travel will make the move to the Big East more compatible. Uconn is now and has been for the past seventy or more years a basketball school. And given the popularity of our Women's teams it makes even more sense. While never losing a game in the years of playing in the AAC might say something about the strength of our team it says a lot more about the weakness of the teams we had to play.

Reaction Score
For the men, it's really important. For the women, not so much. Neither league gets UConn to a place where it deserves to be, like the ACC, but that's never going to happen, and we all know it. But honestly, anything that gets UConn away from trips to places like Tulsa and Wichita is a good move. Ultimately, being in the Big East again is better. It will be more competitive than the AAC. The upcoming DePaul game is proof positive of that.

Reaction Score
Geno has to be conflicted. Growing up outside Philly and playing his college ball at West Chester, you know he loves a good cheesesteak sandwich. But he will certainly miss those winter trips to play USF when he could bring along his clubs and get in a round of golf with Jose in Tampa.
Well played old dude, well played

Reaction Score
I know it's still a year to go for UConn officially join the BE. I like the prospects of finally getting out from the AAC. I'm in the mood of projecting to next year, as of this morning on WarrenNolan.com...I'm going to steal a line from one of west coast (Pac-12) fan and say 3 of the top 8 best RPI (...and their respective SOS aren't bad either) teams are BE? Don't know if there were ever 3 teams from the AAC that could have said that, I'm encouraged with UConn going back to the BE.

1576240427101.png

Reaction Score
That’s right. Geno can travel anywhere in the country it suits him for recruiting/showcase purposes during the first two months of the season. If he wants to do Florida, Texas, California or the great northwest, he can do it.

I don’t see any negatives with respect to recruiting in moving to the Big East Conference. As another poster recently commented, potential recruits are impressed by a marquee program that wins, has a long track record of preparing players for the WNBA, goes deep in the tournament every year, and wins championships. They are attracted to a coach, not a particular conference. I’m very interested to see who rounds out our class of 2021. Personally I’m pining for Azzi to come aboard. She would be a huge get for UConn.

I never like to look ahead. I’m very excited about the season before us, but I’m also extremely excited about the team Geno will put on the floor next year. Alas, next year will take care of itself. My focus and concerns at the moment is on DePaul. Let’s win THAT game, and look good doing it (the freshmen showing growth and development) without any injury to any of our players.

I definitely see Geno traveling to Florida (USF/Jose), Texas (Baylor, UT), California (UCLA, Stanford) schools to keep a "presence" in those areas for recruiting.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno has to be conflicted. Growing up outside Philly and playing his college ball at West Chester, you know he loves a good cheesesteak sandwich. But he will certainly miss those winter trips to play USF when he could bring along his clubs and get in a round of golf with Jose in Tampa.
USF and UConn have agreed to keep the series alive by rotating the Home and Home.

Reaction Score

If Stanford plays to their ranking they will have 4 challenging games in the PAC12 this year. Here is the SOS for both UConn and Stanford for the last 10 years. These are the comparative schedule ratings for UConn and Stanford. UConn on the left and Stanford on the right. (Massey) Stanford is a great school and has a great coach and program but the "night in night out" comment is total BS

2 - 3
4 - 6
2 - 3
1 - 6
2 - 7
1 - 4
1 - 8
3 - 6
1 - 4
1 - 2

Jones is just parroting the sales pitch she bought from Tara. I hear the winning coach's sales pitch in every recruit's decision announcement. For UConn it's usually a variation of "I wanted a school that could develop me to be the best player I could be. There is no question as to the relative prestige of the PAC12 and the AAC but night in night out, year in year out, UConn played a more challenging schedule.
So far this year Stanford's schedule has included E Washington, San Francisco, Gonzaga, Buffalo, Cal Baptist, Syracuse, Miss St. Once you get past Oregon & Oregon St the rest of the PAC12 is impressive in name only. When was the last time a PAC12 team other than Stanford has given UConn a challenge? It will likely happen this year but the PAC12 only looks great in comparison to the rest of the west.
Now if Jones' goal is a conference championship then a plaque from the PAC12 will be more impressive, alongside a Stanford diploma, but a ring from the NCAA is something on a different scale.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
For the men, it's really important. For the women, not so much. Neither league gets UConn to a place where it deserves to be, like the ACC, but that's never going to happen, and we all know it. But honestly, anything that gets UConn away from trips to places like Tulsa and Wichita is a good move. Ultimately, being in the Big East again is better. It will be more competitive than the AAC. The upcoming DePaul game is proof positive of that.
Where is Creighton? UCONN plays DePaul every year games never competitive

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
When was the last time a PAC12 team other than Stanford has given UConn a challenge?

Too easy. UCLA in the Tourney last year. Short memory?

edited--they didn't exactly roll against Cal last year or this year, and Cal isn't even one of the better Pac 12 teams

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Where is Creighton? UCONN plays DePaul every year games never competitive
If you mean physically, it is Omaha, Nebraska. They were always competitive in whatever conference they were in before they joined the BE (MVC I think). They have been coached by Jim Flanery for almost 20 years. They went out in the 2nd round of the NCAA's in 2017 and 2018, they were under .500 last year.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I know where it is, responding about trips to Oklahoma and Kansas, similar.

Reaction Score
The only better outcome would be to play in a Power 5 conference, which of course is impossible because of the other sports particularly football.
Other sports? Do you follow UConn womens basketball or UConn athletics?

Reaction Score
Other sports? Do you follow UConn womens basketball or UConn athletics?
Oops, my bad, UConn football vs Oklahoma, UConn football vs Auburn, UConn football vs USC, UConn football, UConn football vs Clemson, UConn football vs Michigan. Of course, the girls are world class. What’s your point? We can talk other sports too if you want. UConn ain’t going power 5 in any of our lifetimes. There will never be another Big East men’s hoops conference like the 80s. The Big East of 2019 is the best UConn can hope for. All the other top women’s teams in the country are power 5, so by definition they will have the best league competition.

Reaction Score
Potential recruits, I think, want assurance that when they eventually arrive at their chosen school that they will have a good shot at championships or, at least the Final Four, during their college career.

No other school has a been able to achieve that. Look how far even ND can fall. When the ND players were recruited, did they have any idea that ND would drop out of the top 25. Every other major program has had brief moments at the top and then fallen precipitously,

UConn has consistently won or remained contenders for National Championships. UConn has made the Final Four since the time of Moses,

Most of the really great players understand that they do not want to be the only big fish. They want to play with equally great players...and know that they will reach their full potential as individuals and have the joy of being a part of a great team, That is why UConn has had an unmatched stream of No.1 HS players,,,who become great college level players who, at graduation, are professional level players and future stars.

Who was the WNBA coach who said that he wished all his players were from UConn?

Reaction Score
Too easy. UCLA in the Tourney last year. Short memory?

edited--they didn't exactly roll against Cal last year or this year, and Cal isn't even one of the better Pac 12 teams.

Dayton gave UConn a better challenge a few years ago but that is hardly proof of the challenge of their conference. Teams in the AAC also occasionally play UConn close.

And didn't Cal Baptist give Stanford a better game than Cal did UConn? :)

I think my point is made by the comparison of Stanford's SOS and UConn's in the last 10 years. It's plain to see that despite playing in a much tougher conference, Stanford's SOS, while excellent, is significantly and consistently inferior to UConn's.

Reaction Score
When I think "challenging schedule" my thoughts are of men's basketball. In the 2011 season UConn was 5-7 in their last dozen Big East games and was the 9 seed in the conference tournament. They won the tournament and won the national title. That is what I call a competitve conference, night in and night out.

For years I have had discussions with fans of different P5 conferences and it's been my position that there are no "power conferences" in women's basketball. What there are are several conferences with 2 or 3 outstanding teams, a few that fall into the 30-50 category and then a bunch of mediocrity and downright bad programs. It's largely a function of the lack of broad talent and the lack of good coaching in HS. The P5 conferences are highly challenging for the mid range teams but not for the elite teams.
Now for most wcbb teams winning a conference title is a big deal. But when one of, if not the best recruit in the country, is looking for competition there is no program that year in and year out offers when they will get at UConn, because the only real challenges over the course of the season, other than 3 or 4 games, comes in the NCAA E8 and FF. And that has been where UConn has lived for decades.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom