Big East Really Has Its Act Together....Not! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Really Has Its Act Together....Not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Johns has the best shot at 25. Which is really saying something

But we were comparing AAC. Who are the top teams? Uconn should be solid, but I still hve my questions about the frontcourt. Memphis? Who else? Rest of the league I can't even name. Big east tough almost all the way down next year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
SJU is loaded, will easily be top 25. Mark my words. Team will be a bear this season. Marquette has a lot of talent there. Creighton is a tourney team and returns McDermott. They will be good again.
Was not aware McDermott returned. And my point still stands long term. That league will take a long..... Time to win a Nat. Marqett lost both starting guards, there doing nothing long term or next year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But we were comparing AAC. Who are the top teams? Uconn should be solid, but I still hve my questions about the frontcourt. Memphis? Who else? Rest of the league I can't even name. Big east tough almost all the way down next year.
Uconn,Memphis,Cindy, and temple.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Again not saying this league is good. But definitely on the same level as c7

Reaction Score
Uconn,Memphis,Cindy, and temple.

Temple isnt going to be very good. I believe they lost quite a bit. Cincy loses, mbodj, Parker and their starting Pg Cashmere Wright. Will be very hard to replace mbodj and Wright. That leaves only Memphis and Uconn. I think both will be solid, but I don't know how Uconn will do much without any real inside game. Love the combo of Shabazz, Boatright and Calhoun though, but teams will focus on forcing uconn to best teams with their 4 and 5 spots which will be a problem.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Temple isnt going to be very good. I believe they lost quite a bit. Cincy loses, mbodj, Parker and their starting Pg Cashmere Wright. Will be very hard to replace mbodj and Wright. That leaves only Memphis and Uconn. I think both will be solid, but I don't know how Uconn will do much without any real inside game. Love the combo of Shabazz, Boatright and Calhoun though, but teams will focus on forcing uconn to best teams with their 4 and 5 spots which will be a problem.
I tend to believe temple will improve in this conference. Uconn and Memphis are consistent tourney teams. Cincinnati should make 3/4 or more of the time. And who mdodj? Agree with the uconn stuff lol

Reaction Score

So return same team that won 20 games excluding Evans, bring in couple of front court guys, Nolan and Wolf play bit better, Calhoun bumps as sophomore and less physical issues and maybe Bazz healthy and Boat buying in on penetrate/pass and Daniels continues to be "a potential lottery pick" all from a team that beat MSU and Syracuse last year - and you only see solid? If best players are junior Daniels, senior Bazz, soph Calhoun, junior Boat and committee at center = better on paper than all but few teams.

Everyone last year saw big runs by VCU and Butler but not so much WS; you need guys who can win the game for you and a defense that keeps you in it - Uconn should have several of former and continue with having the latter. No assurances (ask Georgetown) but Uconn having lot of upperclass players and shooters is very good in today's CBB.

Reaction Score
I see a good UConn team, but I'm not sold on the 4 and 5 spots at Uconn. Can always play "small" but I think teams will be able to force UConn to play perimeter ball. Live and die by the 3 can be tough. I don't think Temple has the roster to make a big run this season.

Reaction Score
I see a good UConn team, but I'm not sold on the 4 and 5 spots at Uconn. Can always play "small" but I think teams will be able to force UConn to play perimeter ball. Live and die by the 3 can be tough. I don't think Temple has the roster to make a big run this season.

DeAndre Daniels plays the 4 for Uconn. That spot is not a problem.

Reaction Score
DeAndre Daniels plays the 4 for Uconn. That spot is not a problem.

No kidding. It's a strength.

The way Daniels blew up at the end of the year, if we'd been able to go on and play in the Big East Tournament, and then the NCAAs, he might not even be back.

2/27 @ Georgetown 25 pts / 10 Rebounds
3/2 @ Cincinatti 18 Pts / 8 Rebounds
3/6 @ S. Florida 23 Pts / 10 Rebounds
3/9 @ Providence 19 Pts / 8 Rebounds
Average 21.25 Pts / 9 Rebounds

Yeah, that's somebody I want to leave alone to focus on the guards.

Reaction Score
Interesting to note that one of the candidates for commissioner is from Providence College. Nice to see some things never change.

Reaction Score
You're nuts. Marquette, Georgetown, st.john's, Nova, Creighton could all be top 25 teams this season, not to mention other programs like Butler, Xavier, an improved PC team. The leagues aren't close top to bottom IMO.

Wow, talk about hyperbolic posts. This one takes the cake.

Reaction Score

The bottom of the Catholic league sucks--like they always have.

Reaction Score
Again Alex, state dollars go a long way towards pushing those football programs along. Don't deny it. New York state built that dome for Syracuse too. If New York State slapped a dome with 50K seats at SJU, it would have been a lot easier to build a top notch product. Fwiw Alex, I don't consider uconn a "football" school. Uconn is a basketball school who is trying their hand at football thanks to state dollars. Uconn is a football pretender. The football schools destroyed the league in the name of football, hence "sullied".

My point about the charter member is that the majority kept the Big East name and deserved to. I'm not sure why UConn has any venom towards the Big East? If Uconn didn't think they were a football school, the Big East would accept UConn with open arms. Unfortunately, all the other leagues spurned UConn. The Big East schools never did.
UConn is a basketball school first, nobody denies this. One of the many reasons UConn went the D-1 football route was to save basketball. Lew Perkins, our former AD pushed hard for this.
With D-1 football UConn will definately be included in this 70 mwmber super conference that Alabama coach Saban refers to. Should this happen, these 70 schools will split from the NCAA. If this happens where does this leave the C-7 schools?
As far as the BE name, I really think UConn and the 2 other schools care about a name considering they split 100Mil in exchange for that name.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Serious question- did you watch DeAndre Daniels in the last ten games of last year.

Reaction Score
Serious question- did you watch DeAndre Daniels in the last ten games of last year.

Sure I did. I was at the SJU game. He played a solid game. I still see him more as a wing forward though. Like I said, I like Uconn this year. I just don't know what will make Uconn a ton better than last year. Uconn clawed back in that SJU game for sure, especially with Harrison on the bench. I saw a Uconn team that is very good from the perimeter, but if dribble penetration is shut down, the offense and especially the frontcourt sputters. This is not an unfounded criticism. Just something I can see being an issue. Uconn will be a good team this year. Certainly top 3 in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Sure I did. I was at the SJU game. He played a solid game. I still see him more as a wing forward though. Like I said, I like Uconn this year. I just don't know what will make Uconn a ton better than last year. Uconn clawed back in that SJU game for sure, especially with Harrison on the bench. I saw a Uconn team that is very good from the perimeter, but if dribble penetration is shut down, the offense and especially the frontcourt sputters. This is not an unfounded criticism. Just something I can see being an issue. Uconn will be a good team this year. Certainly top 3 in the AAC.

That's great that you see him as a wing forward. He plays the 4 for Uconn. And Uconn's 1-4 are going to be as good as just about anyone in the country next year.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Yeah...DeAndre Daniels was terrific the last 10 games of the year, and did most of his damage within the 3-point arc. Assuming he keeps improving, it's going to be really, really tough to stop him AND stop dribble penetration.

Reaction Score

Hope you are aware that UConn's game vs STJ last season was arguably UConn's worst performance of the season.

Reaction Score
Hope you are aware that UConn's game vs STJ last season was arguably UConn's worst performance of the season.

That's what they all say, dont they? SJU only had an injured Phil Greene at Pg at that time. Branch was out. No upperclassmen on the roster etc. Harrison sat much of UConn's comeback. SJU should be vastly better this season with lots of additions and everybody returning.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's what they all say, dont they? SJU only had an injured Phil Greene at Pg at that time. Branch was out. No upperclassmen on the roster etc. Harrison sat much of UConn's comeback. SJU should be vastly better this season with lots of additions and everybody returning.
are you a uconn fan? Am guessing st. Johns but not sure

Reaction Score

I have never seen a fan from the winning team use so many excuses.

As for UConn that night, no excuses. They just played horrible basketball much of the night. Only two games this past season in which that was the case, with UL being the other(although we even had a lead at the half in that one).

Reaction Score
I have never seen a fan from the winning team use so many excuses.

As for UConn that night, no excuses. They just played horrible basketball much of the night. Only two games this past season in which that was the case, with UL being the other(although we even had a lead at the half in that one).

I was making excuses to make a point. I could also say we played a horrible game, horrible second half at least. And yes I'm a SJU fan. Been coming to these boards since the old boneyard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was making excuses to make a point. I could also say we played a horrible game, horrible second half at least. And yes I'm a SJU fan. Been coming to these boards since the old boneyard.
Using what name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog