Big East Presidents to meet tonight... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Presidents to meet tonight...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Where does it say that? I have read the article 3 times now and cannot find that stated anywhere. Or did ESPN update the article and take it out in the latest version (which we can now read)?
Towards the bottom it just said they could not confirm if Herbst was attending. Did not say UConn was definitely not attending.

Reaction Score
I think Herbst made a very strong statement that the Big East was not an option.

I thought the statement was that UConn had to act in its own best interest.

Boeheim was good on this point. he said that, at the time of the first ACC raid, Syracuse and UCOnn were not ready to leave the Catholic Schools -- abandon them. But not, with the additions of Marquette and DePaul, they now have a conference that can survive a split and do well.

Reaction Score
I thought the statement was that UConn had to act in its own best interest.

Boeheim was good on this point. he said that, at the time of the first ACC raid, Syracuse and UCOnn were not ready to leave the Catholic Schools -- abandon them. But not, with the additions of Marquette and DePaul, they now have a conference that can survive a split and do well.

"UConn is a proud charter member of the BIG EAST and we have taken a lead role in the league's success over the years. However, it is my responsibility as President that we stay in constant communication and be actively involved in discussions with our counterparts from around the country to ensure the successful long-term future of our university's athletic program."

Translation: Big East, go duck yourself.

Reaction Score
"UConn is a proud charter member of the BIG EAST and we have taken a lead role in the league's success over the years. However, it is my responsibility as President that we stay in constant communication and be actively involved in discussions with our counterparts from around the country to ensure the successful long-term future of our university's athletic program."

Translation: Big East, go duck yourself.

No, actually: it would be "go duck* yourself unless we still need you."

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Forde says UConn is scheduled to attend. So they've been invited.

Reaction Score
Ugh. She needs to be there. Unless she knows by tonight, knows, not thinks, that it's a done deal. And, if it is a done deal, it should be announced so our partners can plan accordingly.

1. The article said they didn't if she will be there or not - nothing more
2. I think she is operating in the best interest of UConn, as she should
3. She is showing integrity by not hanging up the phone with the ACC and heading off to dinner with the BE. She has admitted a state of flux and she is acting appropriately whether she goes to dinner or not by the statements she has made
4. I'm not concerned about being left out of a merged Big 12 / BE because she does not attend a dinner where there are so many uncertainities that nothing will be accomplished anywhere, besides perhaps a pledge of faith from those with no better options.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

That would seem like the more prudent course. Interesting that a conference source singled Connecticut out initially.

Reaction Score
1. The article said they didn't if she will be there or not - nothing more
2. I think she is operating in the best interest of UConn, as she should
3. She is showing integrity by not hanging up the phone with the ACC and heading off to dinner with the BE. She has admitted a state of flux and she is acting appropriately whether she goes to dinner or not by the statements she has made
4. I'm not concerned about being left out of a merged Big 12 / BE because she does not attend a dinner where there are so many uncertainities that nothing will be accomplished anywhere, besides perhaps a pledge of faith from those with no better options.

As to your third point, maybe it would make sense for the University to get her a cell phone then so the choice isn't so stark.

Reaction Score
yep, get off a plane, quick limo ride, dinner, discussion, quick limo ride, get on plane. Heck it may even take place at JFK.

Nah... Marinade made the reservations @ Umberto’s Clam House!!

Reaction Score
As to your third point, maybe it would make sense for the University to get her a cell phone then so the choice isn't so stark.
I would think it would be rude to talk during the dinner, so I assume the logical step would be to hang up the phone first.

Reaction Score
There was also this report: "According to the source, UConn officials led by Herbst do not see remaining in a weakened Big East as a viable option."

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/9/19/2436873/acc-uconn-realignment-big-east-president

If you ask me, she's going to receive a hell of a lot of heat if she ends up going.

On the other hand, WVU will be that girl who just goes to a party and cries and cries about how she just got screwed by two boys that she thought she liked and trying to get sympathy from the other party-goers, only to realize that none of them give a .

Reaction Score
Question is, if Herbst gets a call from the ACC while in the middle of dinner, does she take it?

Reaction Score
she seems to be the only President that is being transparent.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
What does Herbst do if everyone in the room agrees to the Big 12/ Big East merger and they put down a contact/agreement in which everyone must sign that has a $25MM buyout and you lock in your TV rights for 10 years. If you sign it, you are in the conference. If you don't sign it, then you are not in the conference. Everyone else at the table signs it and it gets to Herbst....what does she do?

Not sure how likely that is....but what the hell does Herbst do in that situation?!

Reaction Score
I don't think Herbst or McCormick should go. Remember the scene with DeNiro and the baseball bat in Untouchables?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't see how the Big East football and non football schools can stay together. There will be only be another schism down the road. Herbst will probably attend to:

a) discuss altering the buyout for Syracuse and Pitt.

b) politely listen to alternatives for a restructured Big East.

c) re-affirm that UConn is now forced to lookout for it's own best interests.

Reaction Score
defer to your BOT, or dont bring a lawyer and say your counsel must read the document first.

Reaction Score
The Big East is not in a position to put those schools to that contract right now. They know they are not a good option, and they also know that will drive away their remaining good school(s), which would be absolutely necessary to making the merged conference work. Also, no school will sign away their TV rights without a TV contract in place, which the conference clearly does not have.

Reaction Score
What does Herbst do if everyone in the room agrees to the Big 12/ Big East merger and they put down a contact/agreement in which everyone must sign that has a $25MM buyout and you lock in your TV rights for 10 years. If you sign it, you are in the conference. If you don't sign it, then you are not in the conference. Everyone else at the table signs it and it gets to Herbst....what does she do?

Not sure how likely that is....but what the hell does Herbst do in that situation?!

who from the Big 12 signs it?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
defer to your BOT, or dont bring a lawyer and say your counsel must read the document first.

Good answers. I have sat through many a meeting giving non-answer answers and noncommittal commitments. If you are totally jammed, try "I think we have a lot to digest here. I think we should all go back and talk to our boards/boss/committee and make sure we are all on the same page". When someone says that, you know they are just trying to get out of the room without committing to anything.

Reaction Score
There was also this report: "According to the source, UConn officials led by Herbst do not see remaining in a weakened Big East as a viable option."

http://www.theuconnblog.com/2011/9/19/2436873/acc-uconn-realignment-big-east-president

If you ask me, she's going to receive a hell of a lot of heat if she ends up going.

On the other hand, WVU will be that girl who just goes to a party and cries and cries about how she just got screwed by two boys that she thought she liked and trying to get sympathy from the other party-goers, only to realize that none of them give a .
If Geno and JC are involved I'd say we're gone from the Big East.

Reaction Score
No president can make a deal like that without consulting the board of Trustees. Nor would anyone expect them to make such a deal. The other option here is for Herbst to beg off, she already has a meeting with the Governor or the Chairman of the Board of Trustees or some such, and send a high ranking Vice President to represent her. That gets you out of having to make any commitment, since no VP wouild have that authority even if the President did. It isn't an insult to anyone...you can't blow off your BOT chair or the Governor of your state, but it also isn't a full fledged committment. Happens all the time in politics...the Congressman can't meet you but he sends his Cheif of staff (you're getting a fair hearing) or his assistant CoS (you still have a chance) or an intern (you might as well save your breadth, you ain't getting his support).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom