Big East OOC Thread 23/24 | Page 31 | The Boneyard

Big East OOC Thread 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So FS1 just not gonna show a score for this Prov/RI game? Been watching for the past 5 minutes and no score, I get technical issues but damn, the announcer isn't even updating.
They had a clock problem earlier and not resolved

Reaction Score
So FS1 just not gonna show a score for this Prov/RI game? Been watching for the past 5 minutes and no score, I get technical issues but damn, the announcer isn't even updating.
Horribly officiated game, IMO.

Homer refs = "letting them play" = most any contact is: a foul on the away team, good defense played by the home team.

We will see this in Providence, just like we saw it last year.

Reaction Score
Wow. There are times where game flow is completely destroyed down the stretch so refs can review every single call to double check they got it right. But they can’t call a guy out of bounds because of a technicality, and a team can win even though they were clearly out of bounds?

Crazy ending

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yup. And even the whole "can't review if he was out of bounds" thing is dumb. I get not reviewing foul calls, which are judgement calls (although in NBA you get 1 foul review call), but their is no subjectivity to whether the player is inbounds or out of bounds-it's black and white with no gray area.

Has anyone that matters weighed in on whether the GTown/TCU refs made the right call in not reviewing the step out of bounds? Do the rules explicitly say officials can not review whether a player stepped out of bounds as he released his shot?

Reaction Score
I saw the game. I do not need to see the stat sheet. Find me how many non calls were made in the stat sheet. Find any? You like looking at stat sheets, go look at the one from last year.

Ps. You are friar, be careful of the acronyms with a J in them.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Georgetown, Villanova, and Marquette lost.

Providence won.

58-27 (16-15).

Big 12 leads Big East 4-3 in challenge.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Has anyone that matters weighed in on whether the GTown/TCU refs made the right call in not reviewing the step out of bounds? Do the rules explicitly say officials can not review whether a player stepped out of bounds as he released his shot?

It has to have been ruled on the floor that he stepped out of bounds. They can’t see it on replay and call it.

Reaction Score
The thing about "not reviewable because of no call on the court" is... there's never going to be a "call" on someone being in-bounds, so they're effectively saying that missed out-of-bounds are always unreviewable but incorrect out-of-bounds would be reviewable?

Shouldn't the act of not calling out-of-bounds be a de facto "call" for in-bounds?
What?! No. There is no call for inbounds. Everyone is inbounds until they are called for out of bounds. What're you gonna do, stop play every time someone comes within 6" of the line to review that they were in fact in bounds?

Reaction Score
What?! No. There is no call for inbounds. Everyone is inbounds until they are called for out of bounds. What're you gonna do, stop play every time someone comes within 6" of the line to review that they were in fact in bounds?
You review it after and wipe away the shot because he ran out of bounds. They review threes all the time and reverse them to two pointers if a foot is on the line or reverse two pointers to threes if the feet are behind the line.

Reaction Score
The method of deciding when to check replay is a separate issue. The fact is the current system basically excludes the possibility of this mistake ever being corrected... and that's dumb.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It has to have been ruled on the floor that he stepped out of bounds. They can’t see it on replay and call it.

I get that is what we are all saying on this message board, but has a conference or NCAA officiating supervisor made that statement?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I get that is what we are all saying on this message board, but has a conference or NCAA officiating supervisor made that statement?
There’s no statement to make because that’s the established rule. Replay is currently to review flagrants, clock stuff and last touch in the final two (?) minutes.

Its dumb. It’s also what the setup is. Cooley himself stated it postgame.

Reaction Score
So the "review to see if the basket counts" is evidently really only a "review to see if the ball was out of his hands before time expired". I don't really blame the ref closest to the play because the issue he expected to determine was the release of the shot vs the clock, which is already keeping the backboard and hands simultaneously in view. Plus he has to determine if there is enough player contact to call a foul. Tough to see the feet too. I just don't understand a rulebook that allows wrong results to stand. IMO a game determining review should be a review to determine if the basket counts.

In one game over the past week, a player plowed over an opponent like an offensive guard throwing a block. He claimed it was in retaliation for a dirty play at the other end. The refs went back and reviewed the entire sequence and also assessed a foul on the other player that they hadn't called in real time. I have never seen that before either.

Reaction Score

is this you?

friarb
Posted on Dec 2nd, 12:25 AM, , User Since 217 months ago, User Post Count: 1861
  • Dec 2nd, 12:25 AM
  • 217 months
"They are amongst the most obnoxious fan bases for sure. They think they are royalty when in fact most of them dont act college educated. They like going in to an opposing arena and take over, blurting out this stupid uconn uconn chant and they probably were offended they werent given courtside seats. They have been the luckiest college team ever having been to 5 national championship games winning them all. Mathematically next to impossible. And the blue blood conversation is a joke. They missed the tourney like 8 times in last 20 yrs or something like that and they have 500 fewer wins than the only blue bloods, Kentucky Kansas North Carolina and Duke. As a fan base, they have no self awareness and massive ego , that likes to be heard...Hurley = lunatic..."

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
is this you?

friarb
  • 217 months
"They are amongst the most obnoxious fan bases for sure. They think they are royalty when in fact most of them dont act college educated. They like going in to an opposing arena and take over, blurting out this stupid uconn uconn chant and they probably were offended they werent given courtside seats. They have been the luckiest college team ever having been to 5 national championship games winning them all. Mathematically next to impossible. And the blue blood conversation is a joke. They missed the tourney like 8 times in last 20 yrs or something like that and they have 500 fewer wins than the only blue bloods, Kentucky Kansas North Carolina and Duke. As a fan base, they have no self awareness and massive ego , that likes to be heard...Hurley = lunatic..."
I imagine FriarJ wouldn't see the need to change the letter at the end of his handle just to trash us on a PC board.

To be fair, that post could have come from any of 85% of the PC fan base. For the most part they are delusional enough to believe that we are pretty equal as programs, and only through some miracle of fate, we have the titles (conference and national) that we have while they have very little to show for their efforts.

Reaction Score
Them why have replay?
Exactly, replay rules need to be changed in scope. Obviously fouls are subjective but this was ridiculous. Challenge similar to football and baseball makes sense. 3 balls off Kansas were ruled off UConn, then replay in timeframe Allowed reverses for kansas. If i was a cynic i might believe the ref knew it was off UConn and called it the other way knowing it would be reversed. In essence, phony make up call

Reaction Score
is this you?

friarb
  • 217 months
Who is this guy? HAS to be a Boneyarder!

"Had a UConn fan about 2-3 rows behind me. He was actually great. Knowledgeable about the game very fair opinion and loves AFH. This was his 3rd game at AFH but the first time he got to see his team play. Everyone around him was talking to him. Ran into him at Louise’s west after the game he was super impressed with the atmosphere and fans. A little bummed his team didn’t play as well as he expected. Dude exceeded my expectations."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There’s no statement to make because that’s the established rule. Replay is currently to review flagrants, clock stuff and last touch in the final two (?) minutes.
What is more flagrant than stepping on the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom