Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
selling out pretty much every session...
selling out pretty much every session = not selling out.

No matter, so long as Nova stays hot, the conference has the appearance of viability.

CL82

Reaction Score
because we’re a league now that runs the entire Eastern Seaboard."

Lol. not so much with the addition of Louisville. The non-performing outpost in Boston doesn't change that.

Reaction Score
Mmm, not so much. 34 years of that was the conference now known as the American. In 2013 they bought the rights the name the Big East, but the conference records, and history remain with conference that earned them not the start up conference that bought the name. When you think about it that is particularly appropriate since no team in the original Big East, had more championships that UConn.

Of course you knew all that, right?
Yes I did. And I tell this to people all the time.

CL82

Reaction Score
I just don't buy that fans will care in spite of all that and it's impossible to even guess where we're at as a conference in 10 years. The Big East has a ceiling, but it's a livable ceiling.
I don't think so. Nova is doing great at the moment. That distracts from the fundamental flaws of the conference but doesn't eliminate them. The NBE is not the Big East of old. The regional rivalries aren't there. They are further flung then the conference we remember but more importantly their media money is next to nothing, nominally more than the American, at the moment, but still a mere fraction of what the P5 make. Eventually that means that those schools aren't going to be able to pay coaches competitively or keep up with facilities. There Fox deal is terrible in terms of ratings and exposure. That makes recruiting harder and doesn't provide exposure for prospective students.

I'm not say you specifically, but went people talk about the Big East they are, as @Chief00 points out, pining away for a conference that doesn't exist. It's the past, not the future. We may end up there, but that would be a very bad thing for the long term health of our athletic department.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I haven't paid attention to any of the expansion stuff, like ever. So how soon could we move to the Big East, and how likely is it to happen?

Or is that what we're all asking here?

C

Chief00

I don't think so. Nova is doing great at the moment. That distracts from the fundamental flaws of the conference but doesn't eliminate them. The NBE is the Big East of old. The regional rivalries aren't there. They are further flung then the conference we remember but more importantly their media money is next to nothing, nominally more than the American, at the moment but still a mere fraction of what the P5 make. Eventually that means that those schools aren't going to be able to pay coaches competitively or keep up with facilities. There Fox deal is terrible in terms of ratings and exposure. That makes recruiting harder and doesn't provide exposure for prospective students.

I'm not say you specifically, but went people talk about the Big East they are, as @Chief00 points out, pining away for a conference that doesn't exist. It's the past, not the future. We may end up there, but that would be a very bad thing for the long term health of our athletic department.
Chief is always looking forward but enjoying the moment. Correct, the OBE no longer exists. Once Nova cools off in NASA jargon it will be Houston we have got a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

Reaction Score

Ugh, I know any disruption is theoretically good for UConn but I feel CR Rule #1 about to rear it's ugly head.

(Plus on a personal level, I'm not thrilled about college devolving into semi-pro teams.)

Reaction Score
Mmm, not so much. 34 years of that was the conference now known as the American. In 2013 they bought the rights the name the Big East, but the conference records, and history remain with conference that earned them not the start up conference that bought the name. When you think about it that is particularly appropriate since no team in the original Big East, had more championships that UConn.

Of course you knew all that, right?

If you wanna go down the road of legal and technical matters which i'm not interested on (and no expert on the subject)... sure the Big East is 5 years young....

Even then... My understanding is that the Big East bought the rights to claim all the history prior to the 2013 re-configuration together with the rights to host at Madison Square Garden and gave up a lot of money for it. Ofcourse, it doesn't have the founding charter - that belongs to the American Athletic. For that reason, the Big East claims its founding date as 1979. Whether we like it or not the spiritual successor and the flag bearer of the 1979 Big East is the Big East as currently configured with five of its original members.

The American Athletic only has one founding member of the Big East

...while the Atlantic Coast Conference has 3 of the original members.

But why the heck are we talking about this? you ask 9/10 people and they know the Big East as the Big East. That's it! Brands are powerful. The Big East brand has proved more powerful than the sum of its individual parts

Reaction Score
selling out pretty much every session = not selling out.

No matter, so long as Nova stays hot, the conference has the appearance of viability.

It's been five years. It looks like you are still hurt from that divorce. It's okay man. Get over it.

You can root for Connecticut and also root for Northeast college basketball!

The highest average tourney attendance is a pretty good mark... and selling out 3/5 sessions looks pretty good especially when the Big Ten and ACC couldn't say the same...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's been five years. It looks like you are still hurt from that divorce. It's okay man. Get over it.

The highest average tourney attendance is a pretty good mark... and selling out 3/5 sessions looks pretty good especially when the Big Ten and ACC couldn't say the same...

The Big East needs UConn. The Big East is full of UConn's rivals. I hope they all go 0-40.

Reaction Score
The Big East isn't the old Big East, but it's the best basketball conference we can get in. Football is doing nothing but bringing us down and it isn't going to get better. And I'm more interested in playing every member of the Big East than anyone in the American except Temple and Cincy. The P5 dream is dead. Give it up. No one is going to ask a school that is this hopeless at football.

CL82

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the Big East bought the rights to claim all the history prior to the 2013 re-configuration together with the rights to host at Madison Square Garden and gave up a lot of money for it.
Your understanding is incorrect.

CL82

Reaction Score

It's fine. Really Nova has done well dragging the rest of you along. But "almost selling" out isn't selling out.

Providence is the only NBE team is in the Northeast. The new Big East light doesn't look much like what Dave Gavitt envisioned.
1544481923814.png

But here's the thing, the NBE is a pleasant small school with a current basketball power in. Why not enjoy that rather than pretending to be the original Big East? Sounds like you aren't comfortable with your conference. Understandable if you root for a school not named Villanova.

Reaction Score
Your understanding is incorrect.

Would you please elaborate to clear this up for me... Because the current Big East claims 1979 as it's founding date and also keeps all the pre-2013 basketball related records as part of it's history

CL82

Reaction Score
Would you please elaborate to clear this up for me... Because the current Big East claims 1979 as it's founding date and also keeps all the pre-2013 basketball related records as part of it's history
Sure check the NCAA records. That should clear it up for you.

The Catholic Seven left the Big East and bought the rights to the name. That's it.

Reaction Score
It's fine. Really Nova has done well dragging the rest of you along. But "almost selling" out isn't selling out.

Providence is the only NBE team is in the Northeast. The new Big East light doesn't look much like what Dave Gavitt envisioned.
View attachment 37306

But here's the thing, the NBE is a pleasant small school with a current basketball power in. Why not enjoy that rather than pretending to be the original Big East? Sounds like you aren't comfortable with your conference. Understandable if you root for a school not named Villanova.

Do you realize I don't root for any Big East school in particular. I'm a fan of the Stony Brook Seawolves (mid-major) and the Connecticut Huskies. I do watch a lot of Big East basketball... but I don't have a team in that league. I just root for all the Northeast teams in that league. So there is no "dragging you along" here...

Okay, now that my allegiance is out of the way we can talk about the facts

(1) Big East Tournament had 3 out of 5 sessions sold out last year
(2) Big East Tournament is the highest attended conference tournament in the country
(3) Big East Conference has five of the original members including Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown which are culturally in the Northeast Region ( One - New England; 4 - Mid-Atlantic)
(4) The original Big East founded in 1979 was also primarily composed of small schools with UConn, Syracuse, and Pitt being the exception...
(5) What is your definition of Original? Because the Big East went through a lot of expansion and re-alignment over the years.... And then again... Why is this so important to you and the rest of UConn fans? Like who cares really? It's the Big East Conference like it or not! The average person will know it as the Big East conference. Actually, the average college basketball player will still see it as just the Big East Conference.

Reaction Score
The Big East is fine.

But it's decision time. Would have loved to have clanged around a little while until TV rights ran their course - but the AAC wants commitments from people who don't want to commit and now the Big East is *blatantly* opening the door to bringing us back.

CL82

Reaction Score
Do you realize I don't root for any Big East school in particular. I'm a fan of the Stony Brook Seawolves (mid-major) and the Connecticut Huskies. I do watch a lot of Big East basketball... but I don't have a team in that league. I just root for all the Northeast teams in that league. So there is no "dragging you along" here...

Okay, now that my allegiance is out of the way we can talk about the facts

(1) Big East Tournament had 3 out of 5 sessions sold out last year
(2) Big East Tournament is the highest attended conference tournament in the country
(3) Big East Conference has five of the original members including Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown which are culturally in the Northeast Region ( One - New England; 4 - Mid-Atlantic)
(4) The original Big East founded in 1979 was also primarily composed of small schools with UConn, Syracuse, and Pitt being the exception...
(5) What is your definition of Original? Because the Big East went through a lot of expansion and re-alignment over the years.... And then again... Why is this so important to you and the rest of UConn fans? Like who cares really? It's the Big East Conference like it or not! The average person will know it as the Big East conference. Actually, the average college basketball player will still see it as just the Big East Conference.
Lol, it not particularly important to me, but it sure seems to be you. You came to a UConn Board to troll on the this issue, which is fine if that's how you want to spend your time, but the BY is a tough place to that if don't know the fact, which you clearly don't.

So let me start remedial classes for you.

Here's an ESPN story from 2013 on the departure of the Catholic 7 from the Big East.

Was ESPN reporting this wrong in real time?

CL82

Reaction Score
Nope it was just name and the tourney and $10M of $110M in exit fees.

But Google is your friend right? Find me a single major media article that says the Catholic 7 bought "the history." You get how laughable that is right? History is history it can't be bought. The Little East is just trying to appropriate the original Big East's history and accomplishments, the vast majority of which were earned by institutions who aren't a member of the Little East.

TJT

Reaction Score
The American Athletic only has one founding member of the Big East

...while the Atlantic Coast Conference has 3 of the original members.

The only original Big East members now in the ACC are Boston College and Syracuse. While ACC members Pitt, Va Tech, Miami, Notre Dame, and Louisville were at some point in the Big East, they were not part of the original founding members.

The Big East originally had just 7 founding members when conference play started - PC, BC, UConn, SJU, SHU, Syracuse, and Georgetown. Villanova and Pitt did not play in the first year of the Big East as they joined in subsequent seasons after leaving the Eastern-8 (now A-10).

Source:
Big East Conference (1979–2013) - Wikipedia

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom