Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028 | The Boneyard

Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028

Reaction Score
Zags: Big East, MSG to announce extension of Big East Tournament through 2028 | Zagsblog

>>The Big East and Madison Square Garden are holding a joint press conference Sunday morning at which they will announce an extension of the Big East Tournament at the Garden, a source told ZAGSBLOG.

The current Big East contract with the Garden runs through the 2025-26 season, and had an opt-out clause in 2022. The new deal runs through 2028, as reported by the New York Post and USA Today Network New Jersey.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Delaney should have added us; it would have pushed his bid over the top.

[In before the move to the CR board.]

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Big East should add UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati and Temple.

Idk what you do with football but I'm guessing there are some intelligent administrative people in college sports so figure it out.

Reaction Score

Idk what you do with football but I'm guessing there are some intelligent administrative people in college sports so figure it out.

Why would the Big East get back into that mess. Are you crazy? It's clear that the football school will look elsewhere as soon as they have a chance. The G5 schools have no loyalty to basketball.

Reaction Score
The Big East will have 45 years in Madison Square Garden by 2028. Wow. Two generations of basketball diehards will know nothing else but Big East @ MSG! Lets gooo. I got my all-session tickets already!

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Why would the Big East get back into that mess. Are you crazy? It's clear that the football school will look elsewhere as soon as they have a chance. The G5 schools have no loyalty to basketball.
Idk how it would happen, I just want out of the AAC man. I know it will get better with Memphis improving and blah blah blah.
Just give me like 2 games a year against Nova, Xavier, Georgetown, Butler, Marquette, Memphis, Cinci.
I don't want to see another Eastern Carolina University or Tulane University anywhere near Gampel Pavilion in February on a Sunday afternoon on the CBS sports network.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I got my all-session tickets already!

Certainly easier with these small-ass schools and their small-ass fanbases.

Today's news does not change that fact.

The Big East is staying at MSG because MSG asked the Big Ten and ACC to commit to being there every year and they said no. Period.

Reaction Score
Certainly easier with these small-ass schools and their small-ass fanbases.

Today's news does not change that fact.

I mean... they are selling out pretty much every session... So I don't get the statement.

The Big East is staying at MSG because MSG asked the Big Ten and ACC to commit to being there every year and they said no. Period.

Wow. You were part of the negotiation process and kept it to yourself for that long...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
LMAO even in the announcement MSG says they'd love to have the ACC or Big Ten be the opening act again like last year

I do enjoy the watching Jim Delaney and John Swofford eating crap portion of this news.

Reaction Score
Swofford has been vocal about the ACC tournament moving throughout the geographic area of the conference.

"“I think it’s important for the league going forward to continue to have some rotation that touches the entire footprint to some degree,” Swofford said during a one-on-one interview Tuesday as the tournament debuted at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. “And by that I’m talking about the southern part, the Mid-Atlantic and the northeast part, because we’re a league now that runs the entire Eastern Seaboard."

Reaction Score
Yeah.

Realistically, we're gonna be there sooner rather than later. Other power conferences expanding schedules means the Big East is going to have to expand. It's just reality. And good on them. I'd be thrilled to go.

Reaction Score

Go independent, form a scheduling alliance.

Reaction Score
To me, the frustrating thing about the American and why I can't buy long term - even if we isolate football out of the discussion is this:

The Big East worked fundamentally for a lot of reasons we see hindering non-P5 schools today. We had a lot of underrepresented programs who couldn't get scheduled and were being frozen out. They banned together under a specific, common goal. They shared geographical cultural significance and were in a fertile recruiting ground for success in basketball. We lucked into ESPN, but the media markets were there and there was a recognized history of basketball being popular in the northeast. Everyone pulled in the same direction until football clouded things. But all the ingredients were there from a fundamental basketball sense - and the cultural ties made for really interesting and compelling TV that made it a real, genuine business success.

The American has a refugee camp culture with members who aren't pulling in the same direction - but who's goals individually are to get out of the conference immediately. This is especially problematic in football where there aren't fertile recruiting grounds - but in all sports - there aren't cultural ties or significant shared history. You can't write UConn's story without Nova, Georgetown, Syracuse and vice versa. We're a part of each other. None of the members in this conference share that in common with each other. It devalues the draw of the conference because it's not interesting TV and people aren't paying to see it live.

I wanna be clear - the problem isn't what member schools are doing. We've got some really good coaches here. Cincinnati has arguably taken a step forward. SMU has too. UCF unquestionably. Memphis and UConn have taken a step back. The floor in the conference is fine when you look at say - Temple and Tulsa. Wichita helps in the short term but who knows what that looks like when Marshall leaves. It's got as much upside as it does the potential to stagnate. I'm more bullish that the conference gets quite good.

I just don't buy that fans will care in spite of all that and it's impossible to even guess where we're at as a conference in 10 years. The Big East has a ceiling, but it's a livable ceiling. Villanova has prospered, Xavier has gotten better, Butler has cemented its place as has Marquette. Georgetown and St Johns are slowly finding their way back. Structurally, they're about on par in terms of who's done well and who's floundered. But the difference being that there's a clear vision for what they want to be as a conference and most of the teams there will likely stay as long as possible.

I'm just not there on this conference. Not yet.

Reaction Score

The new Big East knows that MSG is their biggest marketing event, so credit to them for protecting ther turf. That said, the ACC and B1G are not yet 100% sold on MSG other than playing at MSG the week before championship week is not good. They also have internal conflicts with the B1G's core base still focused on Chicago and Indianapolis and the ACC with Charlotte and Greensboro.

As for MSG, it belongs to the original Big East, not this incarnation. Yes, attendance was good in 2017 and likely 2018 as Hall looks to have a respectable team; but, what happens when the best new Big E teams are Xavier, Creighton and Butler instead of schools that can reach MSG by train (Providence, Villanova, G-Town) or subway (Seton Hall, St. John's)?

If the B1G and ACC really want to screw-up the new Big E, try hosting their respective tournaments during Championship week at the Prudential Center (Newark) and Barclay's (Brooklyn) and see what Big E MSG attendance looks like then.

Reaction Score
Chief liked the old Big East but that conference doesn’t exist today. I think the AAC has more potential upside. For the poster who thinks Cincy and Memphis would give up football, there’s zero chance of that happening.

First off... NBE on FS1 and the real BE on ESPN are two different animals.

The country has changed since the early 80s. I'm of the opinion that its good to play teams from the Eastern HALF of the country, so you get a taste of those cultural conflicts. It's worked great in the professional sports, where you'll see the Mayor of Memphis bet BBQ against the Mayor of Philly cheesesteaks. It all ties in with the narratives that develop 365 days a year in different arenas of sport.

The great thing about stretching those conflicts across all-sports is PRECISELY that some teams are strong in FB, but they get their comeuppance in basketball or baseball, where they are more challenged. That's how it works in other conferences that actually play ALL the seasons. The AAC has done a good job of competing with the top conferences in all the sports.

In a sport like football (or baseball) it has given UConn a lifeline to the most fertile recruiting areas in the country, to compete in some nicer venues - in front of the better HS talent in the country. It has also made improvements like the new baseball complex necessary, because that's what our competitors also have.

It's why I've been patient with UConn football, because Kansas and Duke football haven't been worldbeaters either. They have plenty of empty seats in their stadiums on Saturday as well, regardless of who they're playing.

It's why UConn and Memphis basketball are so important to the overall narrative of the AAC. The commitment of the AAC toward growing this league in basketball has actually been good.
However, its needed its bellcow programs to recruit with the bluebloods, which they are doing now, and the programs underneath that to have solid classes to act in that challenger role. So everyone eats. At ECU, the new coaches, Joe Dooley and Mike Houston, will recruit better with the conferences successes in the NY6 and in March.

If there is one positive in UConn/Memphis early struggles, its that others have had the opportunity to carry some weight and build some equity in the conference basketball narrative.

I'm bullish on the conference because it has stayed with ESPN, and is now entering a point where it has had solid success in all-sports to get those narratives told more vigorously year round.

If that means not playing in MSG on Fox Sports 1, for one week out of the year, ok.

Attachments

• big-east-tournament-msg-2015-tip-off.jpg
    big-east-tournament-msg-2015-tip-off.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Big East will have 45 years in Madison Square Garden by 2028. Wow. Two generations of basketball diehards will know nothing else but Big East @ MSG! Lets gooo. I got my all-session tickets already!
Mmm, not so much. 34 years of that was the conference now known as the American. In 2013 they bought the rights the name the Big East, but the conference records, and history remain with conference that earned them not the start up conference that bought the name. When you think about it that is particularly appropriate since no team in the original Big East, had more championships that UConn.

Of course you knew all that, right?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom