Big East flexes its muscles (merged thread) | The Boneyard

Big East flexes its muscles (merged thread)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Adding to the strength of the conference:

Women: ranked #16...5-0...play Xavier today at noon.
Men: ranked #10..6-0...coming off win over #9 Arkansas...play ranked Arizona at 5:00.

Still early but a great start. UConn/Creighton...one/ two in the conference...women.
UConn/Creighton men 1/2...or maybe 2/1?

Reaction Score
Having grown up in southwestern Iowa I've always had a keen interest in both Creighton and the University of Nebraska women's programs.

Clearly an amazing start for the Big East and I have fingers crossed that the two top teams continue their streaks as I'm excited to be able to attend the 28th of December match up that will at least for that point in time determine the conference leader.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: The Creighton/Arizona game at 5:00 is on espn...it is the final game of the
Maui clasic.

Reaction Score
This should be a great game to watch. I have not seen Creighton yet but Az, for the second year in a row, is a hugely entertaining team to watch. They play up and down offensive basketball with lots of passing and alley oops. Creighton, I believe, also plays a running style with lots of assists. I love that kind of game!

Reaction Score
I cannot find this Creighton vs Arizona game anywhere , not on their schedule...are we are talking about the Women's game?

Twilight Zone Getting Weird GIF by MOODMAN

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score

"The No. 3 UConn Huskies, No. 16 Creighton Bluejays, No. 23 Villanova Wildcats and Marquette Golden Eagles are a combined 17-1 overall and 6-1 versus ranked opponents."

"So it’s been a thrilling and promising start to the season for the Huskies, who have moved up from No. 6 to No. 5 to No. 3. As former Swish Appeal editor-in-chief Sabreena Merchant put it in her power rankings for The Athletic, “For those expecting a down year from the Huskies, it doesn’t look like it yet.” What's with the YET?

Reaction Score
The Big East working up to the earlier Big East when they had top ten teams like Notre Dame and others. With all the changes in the rulas and transfer protocol, parity is becoming a reality. The true elite teams will always be ahead, but the non elite teams have made major strides in improving their recruiting and playing performances against elite teams,hence major upsets. It is for the betterment of all women's basketball. Let it continue to grow. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
The true elite teams will always be ahead,
Never say never, er… always say always… no, that’s not it. Never say always? Always say never?

The current elite will fade, but not until the great coaches retire, I expect. We can already see the next generation of rising coaches, Dillon, Duffy, Flanery in the BE, and Ivey, Barnes, Taylor, Lawson, Moren, Berubi, even Harper elsewhere.

20 years from now, the new elite might be Indiana, Duke, UNC, ND, Villanova, and who knows who else.

Reaction Score
Never say never, er… always say always… no, that’s not it. Never say always? Always say never?

The current elite will fade, but not until the great coaches retire, I expect. We can already see the next generation of rising coaches, Dillon, Duffy, Flanery in the BE, and Ivey, Barnes, Taylor, Lawson, Moren, Berubi, even Harper elsewhere.

20 years from now, the new elite might be Indiana, Duke, UNC, ND, Villanova, and who knows who else.
I am 89 years old and 20 years from now is not in my future. When Geno retires, there has been talk that someone like Paige might be in coaching and where else would she be, but at Uconn. And with her BB sense of the game and knowledge gained in the interim, she would be a perfect fit at Uconn. I can only wish. GO HUSKIES!!! I'm assuming Geno will coach 5 to 7 more years. Once he passes Tara, I assume she will coach 3 or 4 more years on her own, then he will retire with a won-loss record that will NEVER be broken!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score

Is the only coach you list under 40 Duffy? So in 20 years they will be mostly in their 60s.
Geno became a head coach at 31. Pat and Tara in their 20s.

Reaction Score
Is the only coach you list under 40 Duffy? So in 20 years they will be mostly in their 60s.
Geno became a head coach at 31. Pat and Tara in their 20s.
Which is more good news in the sense that yet another turnover of dynasties will follow soon after the next one arrives. I wonder if this has something to do with the WNBA. The rise of the league may have provided a new career path for coaching prospects.

Reaction Score
Geno's record of 1000+ wins over losses is already a record that will never be broken. Geno's current record is 1152-150. Tara's record in 7 more years of coaching is 1157-259. As of now, there are no coaches , men or women, close enough or young enough, to matter. Geno is one of a kind . There are very good coaches out there, but Geno is NO 1.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Early bird special. MD vs DePaul. 11 AM FS1 / FS2

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member