Big East expansion exercise approaching 2025… | The Boneyard

Big East expansion exercise approaching 2025…

Reaction Score
You absolutely add Gonzaga if you can. Question is would Gonzaga do that. Big East is at a critical juncture, networks are probably going to want them to get to 14, maybe even 16 teams. There’s just not a lot of teams that really move the needle. Gonzaga, San Diego State is probably where I’d start, but that’s insane travel and who knows if either would even join. Adding the likes of Wichita State, Loyola Chicago, St Louis etc doesn’t do anything for the league IMO.

Reaction Score
UConn fans: “we need to be in a geographically sensible league”

Also UConn fans: “lets add Gonzaga and San Diego State”
Id add Gonzaga to a basketball league. There’s no other teams out there that really move the needle. I just threw SDSU as a team that does a little but geographically makes no sense. I am not in favor of the Big East adding more low level teams from MVC or A10. Money pie is already small, no sense in divying that out to more teams that don’t really add anything of value.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Big East put a toe in the water to test the tv deal and got feedback they need more eye balls and schools. I don’t see Gonzaga working. Especially after Few leaves. And it’s not a matter of if but when.

Reaction Score
UConn fans: “we need to be in a geographically sensible league”

Also UConn fans: “lets add Gonzaga and San Diego State”
While I agree, it's different when you're in the heart of the league. Going to Spokane once a year is much different than the AAC travel. It sucks for Gonzaga more than anyone and I'm not sure it's really an option they'd truly consider.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What about schools that have historically been good, or have the potential to be good? Maybe in a better league they start to rise again? St. Joe's? BU? Maybe those are bad examples. I'm sure the board could come up with better north-east'ish schools that might be a good fit.

None obviously that are as good as Gonzaga, but they didn't get there overnight either...

Reaction Score
I also don't believe that the Zags will cease to exist in the post-Few era, especially if they're in a high major basketball conference like the BE. They may not be competing for Nattys every year, but they'll definitely be competing for NCAA bids.

Reaction Score
Have to add Gonzaga if they're willing, but the BE would have to be creative with the schedule, like having Gonzaga play back to back road games in pairs: @Depaul and @Marquette, @Uconn and @Providence, @St. John's and @Seton Hall, @Nova and @Georgetown, @Butler and @Creighton, to minimize travel difficulties.

For going to Gonzaga, it's like any other 1-off out of conference road game during the year.

Reaction Score
While I agree, it's different when you're in the heart of the league. Going to Spokane once a year is much different than the AAC travel. It sucks for Gonzaga more than anyone and I'm not sure it's really an option they'd truly consider.
They already strongly considered it but the travel for all the non-revenue sports was a hangup. I don't see the Big East expanding without the Zags.

Reactions: DCT

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Gonzaga would bite if we add their rival St. Mary’s as well. Upper tier A10 teams make the most sense.

Reaction Score
I also don't believe that the Zags will cease to exist in the post-Few era, especially if they're in a high major basketball conference like the BE. They may not be competing for Nattys every year, but they'll definitely be competing for NCAA bids.
They aren't going anywhere and neither is Few until he retires, he's only 58. As you stated Big East only strengthens their sustainability as a great program.

Reaction Score
Have to add Gonzaga if they're willing, but the BE would have to be creative with the schedule, like having Gonzaga play back to back road games in pairs: @Depaul and @Marquette, @Uconn and @Providence, @St. John's and @Seton Hall, @Nova and @Georgetown, @Butler and @Creighton, to minimize travel difficulties.

For going to Gonzaga, it's like any other 1-off out of conference road game during the year.
Agreed, but that's still a lot of cross country flights for Gonzaga. Wish they could schedule a true NBA style road trip of three games (UConn, PC, St John's) to minimize travel. Just don't think they would do it for college students. Not to mention the Olympic sports.

VCU checks some boxes, but I'm skeptical it fits the profile of a mostly Catholic league.

Last edited:

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Gonzaga if they can make it work.

Kansas, but lol I don't think they're going anywhere.

Notre Dame, but bigger lol at them going somewhere.

More realistic options?

VCU? Maybe. Dayton? Xavier wouldn't like it. I'm not sure either of those schools move the needle much anyways. They wouldn't be horrible adds IMO but they're not slam dunks.

Reaction Score
And there is the motto Of the NEWBIE. We don’t compete for national championships WE play for NCAA bids.*

* This doesn’t apply to Villanova or DePaul

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Gonzaga if they can make it work.

Kansas, but lol I don't think they're going anywhere.

Notre Dame, but bigger lol at them going somewhere.

More realistic options?

VCU? Maybe. Dayton? Xavier wouldn't like it. I'm not sure either of those schools move the needle much anyways. They wouldn't be horrible adds IMO but they're not slam dunks.
VCU, Dayton etc…. Will take more from the league in revenue than they will ultimately bring in and make the conference on average weaker rather than stronger.

No, no and no.

we already have DePaul.

Reaction Score
They aren't going anywhere and neither is Few until he retires, he's only 58. As you stated Big East only strengthens their sustainability as a great program.
Gregg Marshall is also 58. It just seems silly to me to add a school that affects 11 other institutions when said addition hinges on one person. Few starts this season with a suspension after a DUI incident this summer. No one is perfect but doesn't inspire confidence when, again, you're making a business decision that has serious long term outcomes.

It's not just a bad contract that will go away in a few years. DePaul came from CUSA and has been a dreg for 16 years now.

Gonzaga is small private school so you don't get state support backing with a low enrollment & endowment not in a big market. It's Wichita State / AAC 2.0 - fantastic now, very dicey long term. Then add the travel to boot.

But if FOX is telling the Big East to go poach them from ESPN to get $X/year on the next TV deal their hands may be tied.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom